PDA

View Full Version : A Open Letter To Fans

Lip Man 1
04-15-2003, 11:50 PM
An open letter to my friends, critics and the good supporters of White Sox Interactive .

Iíve been a devoted and ardent supporter of the White Sox for the past 42 (usually miserable) seasons.

I thought that Iíd seen it all until Tuesday night.

Tuesday night was the absolute nadir for this franchise. Not only was the team, the great fans and the city of Chicago embarrassed by the moron(s) and drunks AGAIN, but this franchise that is expected to contend, looked as lost and clueless as the local Little League team.

From the second blown game by the bullpen in 13 games, to the absolutely imbecilic play by Armondo Rios in the 9th inning, (It sure didnít take him long to acquire the Sox base running mentality did it?) it was the same old garbage thatís been going on in particular for the past two years.

A big series, a big crowd, a chance to make a statement not only to the Royals but to themselves and the fans of the Sox, and what happens? The same garbage and buffoonery.

I can not and will not personally blame the owner for the fans dastardly activity Tuesday night, but I do think after 100+ seasons of stumbling around the baseball landscape itís time to make a clean start from ownership on down. If not the futility and lunacy will continue.

I also hope the Chicago media and fans take aim at the franchise for as long as it takes to illicit the change that is desperately needed both on the field, in the dugout, in the front office and finally with ownership.

"Itís time..."

Lip

WhiteSoxWinner
04-15-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
[B]to the absolutely imbecilic play by Armondo Rios in the 9th inning, (It sure didnít take him long to acquire the Sox base running mentality did it?)

Replays showed he was safe by a good margin. I'd blame the fan running after the firstbase ump for that out. It was pretty clear he was safe, but I think the umps wanted to get out dodge that night.

CHISOXFAN13
04-16-2003, 12:00 AM
It doesn't matter if he was safe or not. There was absolutely no point. You learn thoise kind of things in Little League.

MHOUSE
04-16-2003, 12:04 AM
The ball came off the catcher's mitt and he had a shot at another base. It was risky but he WAS SAFE. I saw Jose was saying stay and he is the pro when it comes to passed balls and the like so maybe I am wrong but it seems like it was a worthwhile risk had the ump not blown the call. Maybe they did wanna bail.....

Lip Man 1
04-16-2003, 12:05 AM
That's a very good point... however even if Rios was safe he was NOT the important run.

The important run was the tying run, standing at home plate with two outs.

Rios didn't even need to go since his run wouldn't have tied the game whether he was standing on second base or third base.

You do not take that chance with two outs.

Shades of the three times that Carlos Lee tried to steal third base in the past two years with the tying run at the plate and less then two outs.

This is incredible. Just like what Mike Sweeney does to the Sox time after time after time.

Lip

hose
04-16-2003, 12:05 AM
The game reminded me off the Yankee game last year when Foulke blew the lead. Buerhle was pitching that night also.

It seems like the Sox save up some really terrible play and display it all in one game.

Can't blame the Sox for idiots running onto the field. Last year the first warm night game of the season had a ton of fights in the crowd and young girls flashing . No fans ran onto the field but it was a over the top crowd.

The downside to this loss is KC gaining confidence.

WinningUgly!
04-16-2003, 12:11 AM
That's a very good point... however even if Rios was safe he was NOT the important run.

The important run was the tying run, standing at home plate with two outs.

Rios didn't even need to go since his run wouldn't have tied the game whether he was standing on second base or third base.

You do not take that chance with two outs.

Baseball 101. If I was running this team, Rios would have his walking papers by now.

Bucktown
04-16-2003, 12:20 AM
I think I agree with the original poster, but I have to look up "nadir" in the dictionary.

valposoxfan
04-16-2003, 12:39 AM
I have never been embarrassed leaving a White Sox game in my life. Tonight I was. I've never felt this disappointed, down, angry ever before after going to a game. This was a travesty, a black eye to Sox fans and the organization, and will most likely set the tone for the year. Behave yourself at the godd@m ballpark. I hope I never feel as embarrassed and dejected again when I was leaving the park.

pig
04-16-2003, 01:39 AM
i agree.....the friggin' NADIR....

i am not sure i could more embarrassed to be a sox fan right now...

besides that, there were several fights in the left field bleachers. not too surprising, but there wasn't any security around--for half an hour....i actually did not feel safe. lucky i didn't bring my daughter....

voodoochile
04-16-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by pig
i agree.....the friggin' NADIR....

i am not sure i could more embarrassed to be a sox fan right now...

besides that, there were several fights in the left field bleachers. not too surprising, but there wasn't any security around--for half an hour....i actually did not feel safe. lucky i didn't bring my daughter....

Welcome Aboard! :)

I wish it was under better circumstances...

valposoxfan
04-16-2003, 01:56 AM
Yeah I was in 157 Pig. There was no security in that area. I've never been at a game with more altercations and violence before.

pudge
04-16-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
The ball came off the catcher's mitt and he had a shot at another base. It was risky but he WAS SAFE. I saw Jose was saying stay and he is the pro when it comes to passed balls and the like so maybe I am wrong but it seems like it was a worthwhile risk had the ump not blown the call. Maybe they did wanna bail.....

People, if you know anything about baseball, you know that trying to advance ONE base when you're down by three runs in the 9th is POINTLESS... it doesn't matter if he was safe or not, folks, it's a dumb-ass play!!

VeeckAsInWreck
04-16-2003, 03:53 AM
It is not fair to blame the organization for idiots who decide to run onto the field. If anything, the organization is trying to bring people to the park, which they did (Pepsi half-price night)
Unfortunately though, the people who were born without common sense and decency are coming out to the park. If this keeps up, we are going to have to install a basket like at the urinal.

It sucks that we finally get coverage on ESPN but it has to be for all the wrong reasons. :(:

Pepsi---> :gulp:

GASHWOUND
04-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Who knew when I called the Sox the most snake bitten team in baseball yesterday morning the King Cobra of all disasters would've happen..actually 2 disasters..Us losing the game like that, and the one thing I hoped would never happened again..fans running on the field and attacking somebody.
I was so distraught and embarrassed I didn't even want to come to the message boards, cause then I would have to see exactly what I'm seeing..Being already insecure as a Sox fan, I was on suicide watch last night..I soooo wanted to avoid listening to the radio(Score to be more exact) cause I knew you would hear fans swearing off coming back to US Cell field, and of course you did, all the damn headlines in the ChicagoSports newspapers, national media coverage making that black eye the Sox Organization we already have blacker.

What does this mean for us now?? Well, lets just say it ain't gonna be pretty. :whiner:

Kilroy
04-16-2003, 07:53 AM
...I can not and will not personally blame the owner for the fans dastardly activity Tuesday night, but I do think after 100+ seasons of stumbling around the baseball landscape itís time to make a clean start from ownership on down. If not the futility and lunacy will continue.

I also hope the Chicago media and fans take aim at the franchise for as long as it takes to illicit the change that is desperately needed both on the field, in the dugout, in the front office and finally with ownership.

"Itís time..."

Lip

Surprise!!! Lip wants new ownership!! If this incident is not ownerships fault, why are you using it to call for their heads yet again???

Unfortunately, I think this has more to do w/ half-price Tuesday than anything. It was a Tuesday when they went after Gamboa also. When the price drops, you get morons in the park. You don't have these things happen that often outside Mondays and Tuesdays w/ the exception of the series w/ the Cubs.

white sox bill
04-16-2003, 11:39 AM
You stated earlier that on the first warm night of last yr that the young girls were flashing...Anyone know when the first really warm night will be this yr? :smile: :smile:

voodoochile
04-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
You stated earlier that on the first warm night of last yr that the young girls were flashing...Anyone know when the first really warm night will be this yr? :smile: :smile:

Last night...

soxrme
04-16-2003, 12:04 PM
You forgot to mention: Sending Carlos in which killed a potential big inning, and Carlos running so wide he would have never been safe. Does anyone work with these guys on running bases???

Tom Gordon?????

Over-managing!!!!!!!!!!!!

czalgosz
04-16-2003, 12:11 PM
You know, here's a thought... Ummm... Did they ever think of not selling beer at the ballpark? Beer is the elephant in the room here that everyone's trying to ignore. If they're going to ban smoking in the stands, why not drinking? Or would that reach into too many people's pockets?

gosox41
04-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill

Didn't see any flashing last night, but there was some major eye candy in my section. Some tried to get them to show their headlights.

Bob

voodoochile
04-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
You know, here's a thought... Ummm... Did they ever think of not selling beer at the ballpark? Beer is the elephant in the room here that everyone's trying to ignore. If they're going to ban smoking in the stands, why not drinking? Or would that reach into too many people's pockets?

Oh yeah... At $4.75/16oz Miller Lite, beer is a cash cow. No way it gets banned. JR just needs to step up security even higher on these half-price nights and when the flubbies play an afternoon game at Wrigley preceding the Sox game...

jlh221fan
04-16-2003, 12:22 PM
I still think Disco Demolition was the real nadir. The promotion was idiotic and the '79 Sox were pathetic. This year's team has been underachieving, but they're still far superior to all of Veeck's teams, except for the '77 Hit Men.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Kilroy:

Just wondering.

If the Sox had an actual team that had a chance to win a championship (and I don't mean just a weak division) do you think that the organization wouldn't have to discount tickets and beer to bring people in?

It's the organization's decision to spend a certain amount of money. Obviously the amount they are spending doesn't seem to be condusive to winning especially sine 1997.. They fans continue to stay away so the organization is doing what they can to cut their losses.

If the Sox were drawing 35 thousand per game like before the strike, do you think the organization would have half price days?

The difference between then and now? The Sox had a real chance at a World Series.

Just a thought.

Lip

czalgosz
04-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Oh yeah... At $4.75/16oz Miller Lite, beer is a cash cow. No way it gets banned. JR just needs to step up security even higher on these half-price nights and when the flubbies play an afternoon game at Wrigley preceding the Sox game...

Maybe they just need to jack up the price even more - to $8.00 or so, just to keep people from drinking so much.

I have to say, this whole thing sucks. It's depressing, and I doin't know what to do, short of turning the ballpark into an English soccer stadium with policemen every 10 feet and barbed-wire fences all the way around. I hate to say it, but other ballparks don't seem to have this problem.

I was just at the Oakland Coliseum, and they have people checking tickets all the way around the lower deck. You can't get down there unless you have a ticket. Of course, it's not hard to just buy a ticket to the lower part of the stadium...