PDA

View Full Version : Koch Blows

THE_HOOTER
04-15-2003, 10:11 PM
If you look at the stats, we had a dependable closer who went through a rough stretch, and traded him and a prospect closer for a flame-throwing big mouth.

I understand the trade most likely because of Foulke's contract, but to those of you who said Koch is better get a clue.

Where is this "closers mentality" some of you rave about?

I would much rather see Marte in the closers role than this bum. We had two close games we should have won if not for his performance.

jeremyb1
04-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
If you look at the stats, we had a dependable closer who went through a rough stretch, and traded him and a prospect closer for a flame-throwing big mouth.

I understand the trade most likely because of Foulke's contract, but to those of you who said Koch is better get a clue.

Where is this "closers mentality" some of you rave about?

I would much rather see Marte in the closers role than this bum. We had two close games we should have won if not for his performance.

yeah. can we find that thread with 90% of people favoring koch as the better closer?

A.T. Money
04-15-2003, 10:19 PM
He made a mistake and served a meatball. Get over it.

As far as I'm concerned, they should have had a 4 run lead, but 2 HUGE errors lead to three runs.

THE_HOOTER
04-15-2003, 10:20 PM
It makes me sick that the Koch trade was considered such a great deal.

Statistically he's worse, and currently he has blown two huge games and we are in April!!!!!!

MRKARNO
04-15-2003, 10:25 PM
It wasn't the homer as much as those 2 extra runs which saddened me

jeremyb1
04-15-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

As far as I'm concerned, they should have had a 4 run lead, but 2 HUGE errors lead to three runs.

i agree that its only one game and its early but you're making it sound like he made one bad pitch and it cost him. he gave up two singles, a walk, a double, and a home run.

A.T. Money
04-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i agree that its only one game and its early but you're making it sound like he made one bad pitch and it cost him. he gave up two singles, a walk, a double, and a home run.

My point is, the pressure of a 1-run game shouldn't have been an issue. The Royals were given 3 gift runs via error.

jeremyb1
04-15-2003, 10:36 PM
My point is, the pressure of a 1-run game shouldn't have been an issue. The Royals were given 3 gift runs via error.

i think that with our pitching and our offense we should be able to give up 5 runs and still get the job done. yes in this particular game we shouldn't have given them those free runs but our offense needs to put more runs on the board and our pen needs to be able to keep a lead in a close game. maybe this game shouldn't have been close. fine. but a pen that nails down 1 run games is critical if you're going to make the playoffs.

WhiteSox = Life
04-15-2003, 10:44 PM

No, the point is it was a one run game, the pressure was on, and Koch blew it. Plain and simple.

I'm as upset as any White Sox fan over the loss (more so the morons who ran out onto the field, especially the last one), but, in the end, it's 2 huge errors, 2 blown saves, 5 runs in the final two innings for the Royals, and a White Sox loss.

gosox41
04-15-2003, 11:51 PM

Koch needs to bear down and get these guys out. Where is all that mental toughness to shrug off errors?

Bob

MHOUSE
04-15-2003, 11:54 PM
We blew the saver. So buckle down and get out to give our offense a chance. It was 6-5 after the homer. Then he gives up two more and only lasts 0.1 IP. Now it's a 3-run game and it's unlikely we'll come back. Pitchers blow saves, but then he blew our chance to win which is worse.

baggio202
04-16-2003, 12:06 AM
i hated this trade from day one for whoever is gonna bring up the thgread where 90% of us said they loved it...

i also said then that best closing candidate on this team is damaso marte...and i hope jerry is thinking alonst these lines...marte proved he could close out games last year 10-12, one of those blown saves came before foulke lost the closing job....marte nubers are sick...his whip , era , k's , everything just blows koch out of the water...like i said i would have marte closing from day one but if koch blows one more save this month and he is not replaced then you know we are in for another disappointment

harwar
04-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Its not like Koch is a surprise.The guy set a record for the most saves AND wins by a closer.He did that by blowing late inning leads,only to have the A's offense bail him out.I fully expected the same this year,the problem is our offense is stuck in neutral and can't get going.I saw Foulke pitch a couple of times on MLB extra innings and he was lights-out.Great movement-great control.He will get all the saves without the wins.The day after the trade A's fans were on the message boards warning us about Koch.I don't see a lot of movement on his fastball and i can see why he is getting hit hard.If our offense can't bail him out time and again,it may be a long year.

MHOUSE
04-16-2003, 08:57 AM
I want a closer to be 0-0 and pitch one ninth at a time. He'll blow a couple but hopefully be successful most of the time. Koch is all ready 1-1 and we're 13 games in. Not good for your closer to get so many decisions.

jlh221fan
04-16-2003, 09:11 AM
It took Keith until the end of May for his 2nd disaster last season. Koch is way ahead of him. I wasn't thrilled with the deal when I heard it and I'm even less so now. And remember that if Trammell was bunting on Sunday in a bunt situation, he might well have blown that one, too.

Hangar18
04-16-2003, 10:25 AM
I wish Manuel had used Marte from the GetGo. we lost a Very Important game, in the standings and in the Psyche of the Sox Players.

SuperGrover
04-16-2003, 01:25 PM
It's the third week of the season. There's no such thing as an important game in the standings at this point. For all of you people worried about KC, check out the 2002 Cleveland Indians. They started out 11-1 only to go 63-87 the rest of the way. Unless KC finds some more offensive talent, they are going to finish no better than third.

FYI--The Koch trade blows regardless and it always has.

UnderpantsGnome
04-16-2003, 01:52 PM

It looked to me that Koch's pitch was low and away, definitely not a cookie. Sweeney did a helluva job to pull a Koch heater like that. I don't want to defend Koch too much, since his sole job is to get people like Sweeney out in the 9th (and he's failed twice within two weeks against the ROYALS), but it didn't look like a mistake pitch to me.

(I saw the replay just once on the Baseball Tonight highlights, so I might be wrong about the pitch location.)

SuperGrover
04-16-2003, 02:04 PM
The pitch was belt high and pretty much down the middle. It was definitely in Sweeney's wheelhouse.

But, it's not like that was his only mistake. Koch only got one guy out and that was due to a great catch by Rios.