Hangar18
04-15-2003, 03:53 PM
What Would Jerry (Reinsdorf) Do?
If come July, the Sox find themselves 5 games out of 1st Place
and realize (as weve realized back in the offseason) they need
another Decent Starting Pitcher ?

czalgosz
04-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Well, it's not up to Jerry at that point really, unless KW feels the need to add a bunch of payroll.

But heck, trade Konerko or Lee to bring in another starter in July. I would have no problem with that.

thecell
04-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Do whatever it takes to win!!!!

hold2dibber
04-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

If past performance is any indication (and I believe it is), if the Sox are 5 games out in July and really need another starting pitcher, here's what JR will do: he'll order KW to trade Colon, Gordon, Alomar, Rios and anyone else making half way decent $ in the last year of a contract. Sorry to be pessimistic, I don't remember any instance under JR in which the Sox made a mid-season acquisition to close the gap between themselves and 1st place.

czalgosz
04-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Sorry to be pessimistic, I don't remember any instance under JR in which the Sox made a mid-season acquisition to close the gap between themselves and 1st place.

Julio Cruz in '83

Tim Belcher in '93

Charles Johnson in '00

am I forgetting someone?

moochpuppy
04-15-2003, 04:16 PM
and realize they need

I hope Chuck Finley is staying in shape.

hold2dibber
04-15-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Julio Cruz in '83

Tim Belcher in '93

Charles Johnson in '00

am I forgetting someone?

Unless I'm misremembering, all of those acquisitions came with the Sox already in first place, not 5 games out and scratching to catch up (as in the hypothetical here). Big difference, IMHO.

LuvSox
04-15-2003, 04:35 PM
He'd 'White Flag' us again.

czalgosz
04-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Unless I'm misremembering, all of those acquisitions came with the Sox already in first place, not 5 games out and scratching to catch up (as in the hypothetical here). Big difference, IMHO.

Well, aside from '97, which I still think was borderline, I don't remember a recent season in which the Sox were in contention at the trading deadline in which they didn't win it. Maybe '90, but I don't think anything could have helped the Sox catch the A's that year.

gosox41
04-15-2003, 05:01 PM
If past performance is any indication (and I believe it is), if the Sox are 5 games out in July and really need another starting pitcher, here's what JR will do: he'll order KW to trade Colon, Gordon, Alomar, Rios and anyone else making half way decent $ in the last year of a contract. Sorry to be pessimistic, I don't remember any instance under JR in which the Sox made a mid-season acquisition to close the gap between themselves and 1st place.

In 1993 they got Tim Belcher to increase their first place lead. He certainly didn't have to.

Bob

gosox41
04-15-2003, 05:04 PM

:reinsy
First, I'd have my puppet Kenny dump all players in the last year of a contract so I can start my 15th rebuilding process. Then, in 3 years when the team catches lightning in a bottle and wins a division I'll be on TV gloating about how smart my people are even though they have yet to win a WS in 23 years, let alone a home playoff game.

TheBigHurt
04-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by thecell
Do whatever it takes to win!!!!

I think we all support that unless its really messing with our Minor Leaguers

BE GOOD

gosox41
04-15-2003, 05:22 PM

My guess is it depends on two things:

1. Attendence. I truly believe that as long as JR has money he'll spend it.

2.How the team is doing. This of course ties in to attendence. If the team is on pace to win 90 games and is 4-5 games out I can see him adding payroll. But if recent history is any indication and the team is 4-5 games out and on pace to win 83 games I can see him dumpng players.

While I don't agree with throwing in the towel, I can see his logic. The team the Sox are fielding now has the talent on paper to win 90-92 games IMHO. Assuming no injuries, if this team struggles I think something has to be done because. If this team can't look like a legit contender after 100 games then I don't see how adding one more player is going to make the underachievers play better.

Bob

baggio202
04-15-2003, 05:35 PM
if we are in first place at the deadline jerry will let KW make a move to strengthen the team....but if we are 5 games back..get ready for a slew of jon adkins :(:

i remember '01, what were we , 8 games back when we dumped baldwin???...compare that to st louis who was in a similiar situation, they went out and got woody williams who went 7-0 i believe for them and helpe propell them to the playoffs...i always wonder what would have happened that season if we kept baldwn and added a starting pitcher (maybe we would have gotten williams??)...i remember right after that trade we moved glover to the rotation and proceeded to lose 2 of 3 to the A's as our bullpen both games blew leads late....if we had glover in the pen plus another arm because we added another pitcher we might have swept the A's that series and put serious pressure on the tribe...you never know because we never try

there will never be a "miracle on 35th street" because we will never "go for it" unless we are in first place

i wish that wasnt the case but it is

whoever said going for it is okay unless we mess with the minor leaguers...exactly what minor leaguers outside of joe borchard are down on the farm right now that would be worth keeping over making a run at a championship???..

Daver
04-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

whoever said going for it is okay unless we mess with the minor leaguers...exactly what minor leaguers outside of joe borchard are down on the farm right now that would be worth keeping over making a run at a championship???..

Arnaldo Munoz,Anthony Webster,and Kris Honel come to mind........

czalgosz
04-15-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
i remember '01, what were we , 8 games back when we dumped baldwin???...compare that to st louis who was in a similiar situation, they went out and got woody williams who went 7-0 i believe for them and helpe propell them to the playoffs...i always wonder what would have happened that season if we kept baldwn and added a starting pitcher (maybe we would have gotten williams??)...

The White Sox were 50-50 when they made that trade - 10 1/2 games back from the Indians, who were 63-42. James Baldwin wouldn't have made any difference at all.

In '97 the Sox could have done things differently and possibly changed the outcome of the season. Not in 2001.

baggio202
04-15-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
The White Sox were 50-50 when they made that trade - 10 1/2 games back from the Indians, who were 63-42. James Baldwin wouldn't have made any difference at all.

In '97 the Sox could have done things differently and possibly changed the outcome of the season. Not in 2001.

we were only 8 games back in the loss column..thats the one that counts..am i saying it was a sure thing???..no....chances are we would have come up short...i just wish we would have tried..especially with what we got for baldwin...nothing..what would it have hurt to try???