PDA

View Full Version : What would you do.....

LuvSox
04-15-2003, 02:02 PM
...if you owned the Sox? The "Guest Conductors" thread made me think. (a little) Let's presume you fell into a boatload of money and made JR an offer he couldn't refuse. Here's my ideas.

I'd celebrate the teams past with statues, better Hall Of Fame etc., all the things I mentioned in Viva Magglio's thread.

My first phone call would be to Fisk, offering him any position in the organization he wanted. His attitude and work ethic is something this team needs. Next call goes to Bo Jackson, our new Strength & Conditioning coach. Bo knows fitness.

Walt Hrniak comes back for Hitting Caoch duties if he wants. Let's face it, the Charlie Lau School is the best school.

Rob Gallas is out. New PR person? Mike Veeck (kept on a leash, of course.)

Sorry Hawk, it's time to retire. Rooney & Farmer move to television. DJ becomes the 3rd tv guy, moving around the ballpark, giving updates every so often on players, injuries, fans, etc.

"Kiss Him Goodbye" is no longer played only once when an opposing pitcher departs, it is played ad nauseum. We're gonna ride 'em like we used to!

We'd open a micro brewery right in the stadium. "Sox Brew" would be mainstay. Maybe even buy the rights to Falstaff.

The races on the scoreboard are history, replaced by good music and cheerleaders on the dugouts in between half innings. (We'll have to figure out something for the kiddies.)

The patio in right field would extend all the way to the batters eye.

I forgot to mention KW & JM. Of course their fired, what did you think I was gonna say?

Gene Honda gets a contract for life (or senility), he's awesome.

I'd finally give in to all this 70's retro junk and have 1973 Night. I love those jerseys. On the other hand, we'd never speak of the Pajama Jerseys again.

I think you get the point, there would be a lot of changes. What would you do?

dllrbll7
04-15-2003, 02:15 PM
I really like the idea of the Micro Brewery in the stadium and callin it Sox Brew. But i think Miller may have a problem with that unless we could get them to sponsor it or bottle it with their logo.

Hangar18
04-15-2003, 02:37 PM
YUP. Destroy about 40 feet of the Left Field upper deck/lowerdeck to make Room for a Warehouse/Loft Type building that will serve as:

* new entrance to the stadium
* year round resaurant/brewery
* Roof Level OutDoor bar with views of the FIeld and of downtown Chicago
* year round access to other bars/clubs inside this LoftType bldg.
this will be very similar to what SanDiego is building, only, we shouldve been the ones Building this, not them. Chicago's South Side is working class, with factories and such, and this would be a Perfect way to represent CHicago AND the south side. The left field concourse, from foul pole to the scoreboard should be "faux" buildings with real entrances, and decks, open year round for Tourists and Fans complete with restaurants,shops.
Why arent I working for the SOX??

34 Inch Stick
04-15-2003, 03:07 PM
I would make a call to the Park District and ask them what they wanted for Armour Park. I would then develop that land into a series of restaurants and bars. I would then take the land along the railroad tracks and build townhomes. Then the area around the park becomes a destination point. Outsiders come to the neighborhood year round and looses the "dangerous" myth. During the season people come early and stay late.

A.T. Money
04-15-2003, 03:50 PM
I would figure out a way to persuade the state of Illinois to sell the ballpark to some real estate company. We can then use the money to build a new ballpark near the lake (Grant Park) and have it face the skyline. Do it right this time!

LuvSox
04-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Why arent I working for the SOX??

Give me a chance to get a few hundred million bucks together and you will be. :D:

Dadawg_77
04-15-2003, 04:43 PM
The park would be secondary concern, maybe third or fourth. First thing I would is pump money into the system. Improve minor league and international system by upgrading medical and training staff across the board. Increase White Sox interest around the world by doubling the amount of baseball Academies the Sox operate. Give them first class equipment. Open up in AZ, the American Baseball Academy, to teach and develop talent year around. Hire more and better scouts. When all is said and done setup a system which produces good talent every other year, so the team can let go good players who have hit their peak and started the downward slide on the production scale, afford to keep the great players and always have talent to cover an injury here and there.

Then I hire you guys as consulants for what should be done to the park.

TheBigHurt
04-15-2003, 05:09 PM
I would be our Mascot since we don't have one!!!!!!!!! AND lower ticket prices a dot (a dollar) and have Cat Day!!!! I'D also tell Tinker-roo to call up Wee Wee Harris up put him in center (not lead him because Jimenez is doing solid there)........ TRY to get Biddle back (would be very hard)....MOTIVATE Gar-Boy and get the crowd more invlolved and right now thats all i have time to list, ill write more later, and thats a promise!!!!! :)

P.S. Bench Mr. Hurt immediately
BE GOOD

gosox41
04-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
...if you owned the Sox? The "Guest Conductors" thread made me think. (a little) Let's presume you fell into a boatload of money and made JR an offer he couldn't refuse. Here's my ideas.

I'd celebrate the teams past with statues, better Hall Of Fame etc., all the things I mentioned in Viva Magglio's thread.

My first phone call would be to Fisk, offering him any position in the organization he wanted. His attitude and work ethic is something this team needs. Next call goes to Bo Jackson, our new Strength & Conditioning coach. Bo knows fitness.

Walt Hrniak comes back for Hitting Caoch duties if he wants. Let's face it, the Charlie Lau School is the best school.

Rob Gallas is out. New PR person? Mike Veeck (kept on a leash, of course.)

Sorry Hawk, it's time to retire. Rooney & Farmer move to television. DJ becomes the 3rd tv guy, moving around the ballpark, giving updates every so often on players, injuries, fans, etc.

"Kiss Him Goodbye" is no longer played only once when an opposing pitcher departs, it is played ad nauseum. We're gonna ride 'em like we used to!

We'd open a micro brewery right in the stadium. "Sox Brew" would be mainstay. Maybe even buy the rights to Falstaff.

The races on the scoreboard are history, replaced by good music and cheerleaders on the dugouts in between half innings. (We'll have to figure out something for the kiddies.)

The patio in right field would extend all the way to the batters eye.

I forgot to mention KW & JM. Of course their fired, what did you think I was gonna say?

Gene Honda gets a contract for life (or senility), he's awesome.

I'd finally give in to all this 70's retro junk and have 1973 Night. I love those jerseys. On the other hand, we'd never speak of the Pajama Jerseys again.

I think you get the point, there would be a lot of changes. What would you do?

Every Thursday night game would be 'Dollar Beer Night'.

I'd also hire competent people to put this team on the right track and take them to a World Series.

Bob