PDA

View Full Version : Sam Smith stealing the Moron's thunder

cheeses_h_rice
08-17-2001, 11:08 AM
http://www.chicagosports.com/cubs/content/column/0,2007,159884,00.html

:moron

Noooo! He's mine, all mine!!! Get your greedy paws off him!

Appling
08-17-2001, 11:18 AM
You stole my thunder cheeses_h_rice. I was just about to post the link to that piece of garbage. I reluctantly agree that Sosa is a great hitter, and one of the best around. Sure, I wish he was still at Comiskey (but I prefer Magglio). Who wouldn't want Sosa in their lineup? But, to call him the best Chicago baseball player ever is WAY over the top. Sosa has had the fortune of playing during an era when hitters have basically held the advantage over pitchers. Guys like Joe Jackson, Luke Appling, Nellie Fox, Louie Aparicio and Ernie Banks would have had much different numbers if they played today. And what's up with Smith saying no other Chicago player except Michael Jordan has been this excellent? Did he forget about Walter Payton?

Moses_Scurry
08-17-2001, 11:31 AM
All of those world series teams he has been on have been awesome!!!

Not to mention all of the division winning teams he has been on!!!

Face it, until you win the big one, you'll never be the best of all time in any sport. Dan Marino never won a Superbowl, so there is a huge debate at best QB of all time. Do you think that if they had won even one SB, that there would be any doubt?

BTW on a completely separate note, I am now a regular!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your applause means so much to me! I'd like to thank the acadamy, my agent, and God for this moment!

cheeses_h_rice
08-17-2001, 11:32 AM
Agreed on all accounts. Yes, he's had 4 great seasons, I'll give him that. But day-in, day-out, those guys you mentioned (plus Frank Thomas) have *consistently* given better production for a longer period of time.

If Sam-ME can keep this up for another 3-4 years, he would have to be considered one of the premier sluggers in Chicago history if not one of the best all-around players. But I think Sam Smith has been swept up in his numbers just the last few years. Prior to the start of this year, he was a career .273 hitter, with a .333 OBP. That ain't the best of all-time by any stretch.

rmusacch
08-17-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
All of those world series teams he has been on have been awesome!!!

Not to mention all of the division winning teams he has been on!!!

Face it, until you win the big one, you'll never be the best of all time in any sport. Dan Marino never won a Superbowl, so there is a huge debate at best QB of all time. Do you think that if they had won even one SB, that there would be any doubt?

You need one more post to be a regular.

BTW on a completely separate note, I am now a regular!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your applause means so much to me! I'd like to thank the acadamy, my agent, and God for this moment!

Spiff
08-17-2001, 11:45 AM
"He's batting above .300 for the third time in the last four years."

Whoopadee-freakin-doo. Why not put him in the hall of fame right now.

Chisox353014
08-17-2001, 11:54 AM
Sammy Sosa isn't a guy who hits a solo home run when his team is trailing by eight runs.

Riiiiiiiiigghhhtttt. Apparently Mr. Smith missed that little curtain call against the Rockies last week.

Talk about your out of control Cubune propaganda. Was this article taken directly from the 2001 Flubbie game program or something?
And how can he talk about all-time great Sox (and Chicago) players without even mentioning Frank Thomas? I mean, Frank has only reached the 100 RBI, 100 walks and 100 runs scored plateau 9 times in 10 full seasons, third-most in baseball history behind Babe Ruth (12) and Lou Gehrig (11). I guess that kind of stuff can't compare to an erratic outfielder who hits more zingers. What a moron.

Moses_Scurry
08-17-2001, 12:01 PM
Damn, I thought 15 was the milestone!

Way to make a big deal and then look like an idiot!!

Spiff
08-17-2001, 12:20 PM
Hahaha. It took me like 20 minutes to figure out what you were talking about.