PDA

View Full Version : Will the Cubs please get rid of the "guest conductors"?

Viva Magglio
04-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Murph & Fred just played Jackie Mason's rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" from last night's Cub game. My God was it awful!!! First of all, why would they have a controverisal entertainer like Jackie Mason there in the first place? This is yet another example of how hypocritical the Cubs are when they promote Wrigley Field as a "family place" and then do things like this.

Hangar18
04-15-2003, 11:06 AM
The Cubs dont admit this, but they Openly, with no Pride whatsoever, freely take everything and anything Related to the Sox from the Trash Heap. We gave them Harry Caray
7th Inning Stretch
Ron Schueler
Bobby Hill
Sammy

Procol Harum
04-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Cubs management are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky that Reinsdorf fired Harry Caray and that "Wrigleyville" began the process of gentrification in the early '80s. Between Harry plugging the "Friendly Confines" to everyone in Western Illinois, SW Wisconsin and Iowa and all the trendies making Wrigley such a hip, ever so-declasse place to be, Tribune management has been saved from itself. Without success handed to them on a silver platter these clowns would have made a mess of things and sold the team ten years ago. Their persistence with this 7th-inning "guest stretch leaders" business is merely the crowning touch on their resume of stilted corporate stupidity.

:reinsy

"Let's face it, the Cubs own this town--and I've done everything I can to make sure they do!"

Hangar18
04-15-2003, 11:28 AM
More Things the Cubs Openly Copied from the Sox.....

* 1970's Disco Nite

cubs started this "trend" a couple yrs ago, and like to act
like they were the ones who started it.

Next thing they will Blatantly and Openly Copy are:

* Dog Day
* Wrigley SleepOver

watch how they copy that, and ESPN and national Media
will COVER this "NOVEL Approach to BallPark Promotions"

Lip Man 1
04-15-2003, 11:34 AM
I happen to agree that the Sox have done just about everything short of giving the Cubs Frank Thomas (circa 1993) and that is the main reason they are in the position that they are in Chicago.

But let's ask another question, why haven't the Sox been able to overcome this in the past ten years?

They generally have better teams and better players. Why do they keep falling short from a PR / media releations standpoint that keeps them behind the eight ball.

Lip

doublem23
04-15-2003, 12:16 PM
Without guest conductors, they won't know that they only have another inning and a half to load up on the beers.

LuvSox
04-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
They generally have better teams and better players. Why do they keep falling short from a PR / media releations standpoint that keeps them behind the eight ball.

For starters, the Sox don't embrace their team history very well. Our team has over a century under it's belt. Look at Detroit. Yes, they are pitiful right now, but they keep their legends around. (Jack Morris, Alan Trammel, etc.) Comerica Park has several statues around the park, Cobb, Kaline. Why can't we have some? Joe Jackson, Ted Lyons, Billy Pierce, Carlton Fisk---just to name a few. Boog Powell runs a food stand at Camden Yards. Where are the Sox players? God bless Melton, Pierce and Minoso for being around, but we need to see more of them and everyone else. Look at the Hall Of Fame at the Cell, it is so small, it's always jam packed. That should be a huge attraction in a huge area. The retired numbers are another thing, when they were up they looked terrible. You had to know where to look to find them. The 'Reinsdorf Regime' embracing team history would be a step in the right direction.

Foulke You
04-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
For starters, the Sox don't embrace their team history very well. Our team has over a century under it's belt. Look at Detroit. Yes, they are pitiful right now, but they keep their legends around. (Jack Morris, Alan Trammel, etc.) Comerica Park has several statues around the park, Cobb, Kaline. Why can't we have some? Joe Jackson, Ted Lyons, Billy Pierce, Carlton Fisk---just to name a few. Boog Powell runs a food stand at Camden Yards. Where are the Sox players? God bless Melton, Pierce and Minoso for being around, but we need to see more of them and everyone else. Look at the Hall Of Fame at the Cell, it is so small, it's always jam packed. That should be a huge attraction in a huge area. The retired numbers are another thing, when they were up they looked terrible. You had to know where to look to find them. The 'Reinsdorf Regime' embracing team history would be a step in the right direction.

Agree 100% LuvSox. I've been complaining about the lack of a proper tribute to our past for a long time. Those retired numbers they used to have were pathetic. I believe the team is finally addressing this issue as the numbers have been temporarily taken down to make room for the new LED board. However, they did say that the numbers would be moved to a more prominent place in the park later this season. Lets hope that it is on the outfield gridwork nice and big above the billboards or on the outfield wall like in Old Comiskey.

Statues outside the park would be nice. I'm not sure that this would be included in the new renovations next year. I've read that those type of statues are very expensive.

"Sorry! All the money is going to fixing my upper deck. We might be able to build some 6 inch figurines outside the park. Would that work?"

LuvSox
04-15-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Statues outside the park would be nice. I'm not sure that this would be included in the new renovations next year. I've read that those type of statues are very expensive.

"Sorry! All the money is going to fixing my upper deck. We might be able to build some 6 inch figurines outside the park. Would that work?"

Yeah, I could see JR putting some bobbleheads up and having real tight camera shots and those little green army men around to make them look bigger :D: I think those statues can run as much as 20G.

Risk
04-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Anything (including but not limited to having no talent and/or washed-up hacks singing badly) :angry: to distract the sheeps attention from the pathetic girls softball team on the field

Procol Harum
04-15-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Without guest conductors, they won't know that they only have another inning and a half to load up on the beers.

True 'dat!

leftbehindbuck
04-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Oh come on guys....admit this the guest conductor is exactly what Wrigley Field and the Cubs stand for....It classifies that all Cubs fans care about are beer, women, famous people, Ivy on the wall, women, beer, beer, beer, beer, and more beer, and just having a fun time.....How dare a Cubs fan actually care about winning....the guest conductor on most occasions just helps to appease the fans that want to have fun watching the Cubs loose yet another game.....Buck :gulp: