PDA

View Full Version : Jesus walks on water...and sinks

cheeses_h_rice
04-14-2003, 09:48 PM
Flubbies down 11-3 to the Reds in the 9th. Prior with 2 throwing errors, gave up a total of 5 runs in 6 IP. Great relief pitching by Cruz and Remlinger and others, too.

Flubs 7-6
Sox 7-5

And the dance continues...

LuvSox
04-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Who made up the "Jesus" nickname? I may have a clue already.

cheeses_h_rice
04-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Who made up the "Jesus" nickname? I may have a clue already.

It was unanimously decided on WSI last year that the Flubbies were so loaded with phenoms that we would call them the Chicago Jesuses...Prior, Hill, Patterson, Sosa, Bellhorn, Karros, Farnsworth, etc.

duke of dorwood
04-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Didnt pitch in 30 degree weather today

LuvSox
04-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
It was unanimously decided on WSI last year that the Flubbies were so loaded with phenoms that we would call them the Chicago Jesuses...Prior, Hill, Patterson, Sosa, Bellhorn, Karros, Farnsworth, etc.

Sounds like good ol' Sox fan sarcasm. I love it!!!

Vsahajpal
04-14-2003, 10:17 PM
That was a pathetic defensive display that cost them the game. Prior and Cruz, freaking pitchers combined for 3 errors, Bellhorn should've been charged with one earlier. Unbelievable.

Estes tomorrow, there's a loss.

czalgosz
04-14-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
That was a pathetic defensive display that cost them the game. Prior and Cruz, freaking pitchers combined for 3 errors, Bellhorn should've been charged with one earlier. Unbelievable.

Prior still has an ERA under 2, I wouldn't worry too much about him.

Cruz is starting to be worrisome, though. The Cubs have real problems in their bullpen, unless Joe Borowski really is the answer (and he might well be, at least until "proven closer" Antonio Alfonseca returns from the DL).

TornLabrum
04-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Prior still has an ERA under 2, I wouldn't worry too much about him.

What's his URA, though? (Unearned run average)

Which brings up a point. Shouldn't a run resulting from an error by the pitcher be an earned run since it was the pitcher himself who screwed up? Discuss.

voodoochile
04-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Which brings up a point. Shouldn't a run resulting from an error by the pitcher be an earned run since it was the pitcher himself who screwed up? Discuss.

I have ALWAYS felt that way. He screwed it up. How unearned can it be?

WinningUgly!
04-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I have ALWAYS felt that way. He screwed it up. How unearned can it be? I agree. It's a cheap rule, probably created by a former pitcher. :D:

MRKARNO
04-14-2003, 10:35 PM

If the pitcher gets the E, it should be an ER IMHO. But that wont happen anytime soon. URA would be an interesting stat.

jeremyb1
04-14-2003, 10:38 PM

i don't think so because era is supposed to measure how well a pitcher pitches not how well he performs overall. since making a fielding error is unrelated to ones pitching performance it shouldn't be included in era.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i don't think so because era is supposed to measure how well a pitcher pitches not how well he performs overall. since making a fielding error is unrelated to ones pitching performance it shouldn't be included in era.

Well if that were the case, why don't we call it "Earned Runs Pitching Average"?

The fact is, only pitchers are measured on their own ability to get hitters out. Otherwise every ballplayer on the field would have an ERA, too.

:hitless
"And I -- of course -- would lead the entire league, and I would do it while wearing tennis shoes, too!"

If their own errors cause runs, a pitcher ought to take the rap. :angry:

DrCrawdad
04-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Where's Les Grobstein now? Les, and a lot of media guys, harp on the Sox defense while they often overlook that the Cub defense was not very good last year and at least so far appears worse this year.

IIRC Cruz had a very high number of unearned runs last year too.

hose
04-15-2003, 06:14 AM

BINGO !!!!!!!

I have always thought the same about a pitcher'e error.

GASHWOUND
04-15-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Where's Les Grobstein now? Les, and a lot of media guys, harp on the Sox defense while they often overlook that the Cub defense was not very good last year and at least so far appears worse this year.

I agreee, besides that first 3 games in Kansas City where we looked crap on the field, how many errors have we committed since? It can't be that much, 2 or 3??

MHOUSE
04-15-2003, 08:24 AM
I always thought Juan Cruz was terrible but the Flubs think he has a future. Aside from his high number of Ks, he stinks. He had like 10 losses last year, mostly in relief. But I think that instead of saying he gave up 2 ER, S.C. should mention that also another 3 or 4 were unearned. He still let the cross the plate and a good pitcher should be able to pitch over a few mishaps. I dunno if they should affect his ERA because that's a separate stat than his fielding %. Don't come up with anymore stats, there are so many WHIP, OPS, QPWRS. :?: It's confusing at times. Leave well enough alone. :smile:

Soxboyrob
04-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

You're putting it mildly. The Chubs have yielded 15 unearned runs so far this season. That's utterly deplorable.

Cruz is overrated in that the minute an error is made by him or behind him, he crumbles like an old cookie. Look at his ERA and his WHIP from last year and you can see that he puts a buttload of people on base but since there are errors scattered in there, the ERA isn't hurt much.

Risk
04-15-2003, 01:36 PM
I only caught about 30 seconds while flipping thru channels last night--just enough to see Cruz throw the ball past the first baseman and into the Reds bullpen. Hilarious--only the Scrubs could make losing both so funny and pathetic at the same time.

Go Sox :D:

thecell
04-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
I agreee, besides that first 3 games in Kansas City where we looked crap on the field, how many errors have we committed since? It can't be that much, 2 or 3??

The Sox are 7-0 when not committing an error and 0-5 when booting at least one...

Hangar18
04-15-2003, 03:30 PM

hahaahahahahaha