PDA

View Full Version : D'Jimenez

ChiSoxBobette
04-14-2003, 11:04 AM
I was just over at the Whitesox.com site and it seems some Sox fans over there are all over D'J and what I want to know is why.
D'J's stats so far:
Avg.-.311, OBP .404, Slug.Per..622, 45 at bats, 14 hits, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 2 hrs,6 rbi's, Field. Per. .976, 1 error
Am I missing something right now. I know he's been having trouble turning a smooth DP but he's doing fine. I know everyone who saw Aaron Miles was high on him and thats great but D'J's done everything a leadoff hitter is supposed to do work the count, get on base , move runners over and he's come up big in clutch situations. Maybe next year with Valentine's contravt up the SS 2nd base combo will be D'J & Miles but lets let Aaron get some time in the minors. Also D'J is far superior to Durham as a leadoff man & fielder so let be happy we have D'J right now and a player who could be a pretty good 2nd baseman for us next year in the minors.

Go White Sox

Soxboyrob
04-14-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I was just over at the Whitesox.com site and it seems some Sox fans over there are all over D'J and what I want to know is why.

Go White Sox

I love the guy so far. Thus far, he's everything you could want in a leadoff hitter. The key words are "thus far."

He could still improve a bit defensively, but he's hardly a defensive liability out there. I think he'll still improve a bit both offensively and defensively, especially now that he appears to finally be fully recovered from his injuries.

steff
04-14-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I think he'll still improve a bit both offensively and defensively, especially now that he appears to finally be fully recovered from his injuries.

Oh he is..? Someone remind me to kick him tomorrow.. :D:

voodoochile
04-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Beats the heck out of me. Some people just like to complain. DJ has been one of the main bright spots this season, IMO.

Now if he can just stop running into other Sox players while playing the field...

bc2k
04-14-2003, 01:07 PM

No matter how much those uninformed whitesox.com posters dislike DJ, they can't say he isn't doing his job.

34 Inch Stick
04-14-2003, 01:09 PM
I like your optimism but it is veeeeeeery early.

TheBigHurt
04-14-2003, 01:39 PM
THE unforate thing for Jimenez and the Sox is that yes Jimenez is playing great but the middle of the lineup for the most part isnt

BE GOOD hurty

thecell
04-14-2003, 02:21 PM
This is the same guy that was hyped more than Soriano before his car accident. I'm not saying that he's going to be great, but I'm really interested to see what he can do over a full season. Especially after the way he played last year.

MHOUSE
04-14-2003, 02:58 PM
I don't understand. Why not like him? He has been a perfect leadoff hitter and the only thing that needs work is his fielding which isn't as bad as Durham's or even Jose's if he were to play ss. IMO D'J has been awesome so far and I have no reason to think he won't be a consistently quality leadoff 2nd baseman. Some people can't accept the good with the bad.

jeremyb1
04-14-2003, 03:25 PM
they can be strange on that board. jimenez has been absolutely outstanding so far in my opinion. he's just been excellent.

HawkDJ
04-14-2003, 04:18 PM
The only problem with him is he is pretty slow and won't steal many bases. Generally you want your leadoff hitter to be fast. Other than that he has been great on offense ...taking pitches, getting on base, etc.

Juan Pizarro
04-14-2003, 04:23 PM
I can't remember a Sox leadoff hitter who saw as many pitches per at bat as Jimenez does.

Konerko05
04-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Also D'J is far superior to Durham as a leadoff man & fielder so let be happy we have D'J right now and a player who could be a pretty good 2nd baseman for us next year in the minors.

Go White Sox

I don't really have anything to complain about with DJ. I think he is a good player who will be solid for us at second base this year. I was very happy when KW picked him up.

But are you serious when you say he is far superior to Durham? Come on now, I don't know why so many people around here are anti Durham.

DJ is posting a pretty good OBP right now and I expect him to keep it somewhere around that level but Durham was doing this while adding twice as much speed and power.

In the field, DJ might look like he is a little more solid and might not make as many errors, but he doesn't look like he has the range, arm, or ability to turn double plays as well as Durham.

I'm not complaining about DJ in any way, I like him. He's a good player, but saying he is far superior to Durham is kind of humerous to me.

MarkEdward
04-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05

But are you serious when you say he is far superior to Durham? Come on now, I don't know why so many people around here are anti Durham.

I totally agree with your post. I also don't know why Durham takes crap on this board. Jimenez wil never have Ray's combination of power and ability to get on base.

voodoochile
04-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05
I don't really have anything to complain about with DJ. I think he is a good player who will be solid for us at second base this year. I was very happy when KW picked him up.

DJ is posting a pretty good OBP right now and I expect him to keep it somewhere around that level but Durham was doing this while adding twice as much speed and power.

In the field, DJ might look like he is a little more solid and might not make as many errors, but he doesn't look like he has the range, arm, or ability to turn double plays as well as Durham.

I'm not complaining about DJ in any way, I like him. He's a good player, but saying he is far superior to Durham is kind of humerous to me.

Well, I guess time will tell, but Jimenez has been fine from a power perspective, IMO and his OBP is actually higer than Durham's was.

I don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the defense. Ray-Ray had little range, IMO. Jimenez appears to move equally well to his left (or better) and does fine going to his right - something Ray Ray had a terrible time doing. Jimenez needs to learn the players around him better, but he actually looks like he will be an overall improvement over Durham, IMO, and I like Durham, too...

Daver
04-14-2003, 06:48 PM
There is a reason that Ray's nickname was the fire hydrant.........

:)

MHOUSE
04-14-2003, 06:51 PM
I heard they retired his number. What was it....E4? :D:

baggio202
04-14-2003, 07:08 PM
was it only me that saw jimenez's incredible lack of range and speed i nt he KC series???...how many balls got between him and konerko???...be intersting to see that combo in the metrodome..his range is very cklayton-esque at 2nd..and someone tell him a 1-6-3 is the much easier turn

i dont know what kind of ballplayer jimenez will be...he has 800 at bats so far in his career and has been very average...right now he is locked in and is hitting everything hard..if he stays this way all year he will hit 350 and everyone will forget about ray...but looking at his career average i highly doubt he is gonna stay locked in all year....in san deigo when things didnt go his way he was a bigger puss than clayton...the whole san deigo team shunned the guy..completely gave up on him...

im willing to give him a clean shot but i want to see when he slumps and goes in an o'fer mode how he responds before i crowd onto the jimenez bandwagon....does he pick it up in other aspects of his game like drawing walks , hbp , bunting guys over , playing great defense , basically being productive while not hitting and supporting his teammmates or is he going to go sulk and be a big crybaby like in years past????..give me a full season first to evaluate him

for anyone to say he is a better ballplayer than durham is , i cant even find a word to describe it...ray was a 2 time all star , hits for power and has speed...jimenez has 8 stolen bases and 9 home runs in around 800 lifetime at bats..he has proved very little so far...ray did it here for 7 years..lets atleast see a full season of st . d'angelo before we put this guy in the hall

czalgosz
04-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Ray Durham is one of the best second basemen in baseball right now. He hasn't been around in San Francisco very long, but he's already making Giants fans forget about Jeff Kent.

That said, I like D'Angelo Jimenez very much. Since joining the Sox, he's had 176 plate appearances, and he's .294/.386/.471. It's a small sample size, granted, but I think if the Sox are patient with him, he can consistently hit .265-.285, with an OBP in the .350-.370 range, which would be perfect for the top of the order. And considering that the Sox basically got him for free, you can't argue with the price.

hose
04-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Ray Durham is one of the best second basemen in baseball right now. He hasn't been around in San Francisco very long, but he's already making Giants fans forget about Jeff Kent.

That said, I like D'Angelo Jimenez very much. Since joining the Sox, he's had 176 plate appearances, and he's .294/.386/.471. It's a small sample size, granted, but I think if the Sox are patient with him, he can consistently hit .265-.285, with an OBP in the .350-.370 range, which would be perfect for the top of the order. And considering that the Sox basically got him for free, you can't argue with the price.

I am a huge Ray Durham fan but Kent's MVP award and gold gloves should bring back some memories for Giant fans.

Jiminez was the best replacement a cheap franchise like the Sox could come up with when they dealt Ray-Ray.

I am in agreement with you on Jiminez and hopefully he will even do better than we think.

WinningUgly!
04-14-2003, 09:02 PM
So far so good with D'J. Hopefully he'll live up to all the pre-accident hype that surrounded him a few years ago, but I'm not ready to say he's better than Durham was...yet. Ray had his faults & weaknesses, but over his years with the Sox, he was usually pretty reliable & solid.

Solid play over the 1st week & a half of the season is a good start, but other than that...it ain't worth squat. Anyone remember how hot Lofton started off last season? I'm not saying D'J will fall on his face like Kenny did, but there's always that chance.

Keep it up D'ang! :gulp:

calebhatesyou
04-14-2003, 11:03 PM
the main problem i had with durham in chicago was him being in the leadoff spot. if he would have put up the numbers he did from 6 or 7 it would have been alot harder to swallow to see him dealt. i just never liked his ABs as a leadoff guy. it seemed like he was trying be agressive like ricky henderson, but without the talent (consistantly, that is). his defense and D'j's are a push IMO ( they both have their holes). But only one is on the south side so....let's go D'J

steff
04-15-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by calebhatesyou
the main problem i had with durham in chicago was him being in the leadoff spot. if he would have put up the numbers he did from 6 or 7 it would have been alot harder to swallow to see him dealt. i just never liked his ABs as a leadoff guy. it seemed like he was trying be agressive like ricky henderson, but without the talent (consistantly, that is). his defense and D'j's are a push IMO ( they both have their holes). But only one is on the south side so....let's go D'J

ROTFLMAO!!

Perhaps if you look at his #'s batting from the leadoff spot you'd better be able to make a CORRECT statement regarding this. I've posted his numbers before, I'm not doing it again. But the fact is that Ray was in the TOP FIVE among leadoff hitters.

ChiSoxBobette
04-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
was it only me that saw jimenez's incredible lack of range and speed i nt he KC series???...how many balls got between him and konerko???...be intersting to see that combo in the metrodome..his range is very cklayton-esque at 2nd..and someone tell him a 1-6-3 is the much easier turn

i dont know what kind of ballplayer jimenez will be...he has 800 at bats so far in his career and has been very average...right now he is locked in and is hitting everything hard..if he stays this way all year he will hit 350 and everyone will forget about ray...but looking at his career average i highly doubt he is gonna stay locked in all year....in san deigo when things didnt go his way he was a bigger puss than clayton...the whole san deigo team shunned the guy..completely gave up on him...

im willing to give him a clean shot but i want to see when he slumps and goes in an o'fer mode how he responds before i crowd onto the jimenez bandwagon....does he pick it up in other aspects of his game like drawing walks , hbp , bunting guys over , playing great defense , basically being productive while not hitting and supporting his teammmates or is he going to go sulk and be a big crybaby like in years past????..give me a full season first to evaluate him

for anyone to say he is a better ballplayer than durham is , i cant even find a word to describe it...ray was a 2 time all star , hits for power and has speed...jimenez has 8 stolen bases and 9 home runs in around 800 lifetime at bats..he has proved very little so far...ray did it here for 7 years..lets atleast see a full season of st . d'angelo before we put this guy in the hall

I never thought he was a better power guy than Ray was but as a leadoff man what we've seen last year and so far this year he is better than Ray was and his fielding so far is also better. Ray was making all kinds of errors not getting to easy grounders and it was unreal how many times ground ball went right under his glove. I liked Ray to he was a great team player and always had a smile on his face when I saw him at the games , but this stuff about D'J & the Padres is in the past when D'J got up here last year and so far this year I have'nt read anything about him be trouble on the team , I know so Sox fans were high on Aaron Miles & maybe he will be a great 2nd baseman for the Sox but why are we always so fast to move someone up who should still be playing in the minors , its also good to know that hes down there and ready if the Sox need him due to injuries. But Like I said D'J is fine so far and yes we all loved Ray but it seemed to me Ray was going to go no matter what. I Sat Rays No Leadoff Man.

Go White Sox

steff
04-15-2003, 12:16 PM
I never thought he was a better power guy than Ray was but as a leadoff man what we've seen last year and so far this year he is better than Ray was and his fielding so far is also better. Ray was making all kinds of errors not getting to easy grounders and it was unreal how many times ground ball went right under his glove. I liked Ray to he was a great team player and always had a smile on his face when I saw him at the games , but this stuff about D'J & the Padres is in the past when D'J got up here last year and so far this year I have'nt read anything about him be trouble on the team , I know so Sox fans were high on Aaron Miles & maybe he will be a great 2nd baseman for the Sox but why are we always so fast to move someone up who should still be playing in the minors , its also good to know that hes down there and ready if the Sox need him due to injuries. But Like I said D'J is fine so far and yes we all loved Ray but it seemed to me Ray was going to go no matter what. I Sat Rays No Leadoff Man.

Go White Sox

Care to back up your assesments with those little things called facts..?? DJ is not even CLOSE to Ray at this point.

And as for the personal stuff about DJ... it's all true and then some. But don't believe me and my first hand knowledge.. his dirty laundry will be aired soon enough.