PDA

View Full Version : FSN calls it "The Cell"

A.T. Money
04-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Anyone else catch that right at the end of the game? Damen Andrews said in the post game show they will "Examine The Cell"

Considering that nickname started right here, I thought it was cool to see.

npdempse
04-13-2003, 04:08 PM
A weekend sportscaster on NBC5 said it last week as well.

kevingrt
04-13-2003, 10:39 PM
Most liekly it will start to go around as The Cell. We'll find out when ESPN comes on May 4th for Sunday Night Baseball.

Nellie_Fox
04-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Call it what you like. I never will.

voodoochile
04-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Call it what you like. I never will.

I am trying to change my brain to refer to it simply as Soxpark. I've called it Comiskey for so long that it takes time to rewire the brain and I simply don't want to go to the hassle of learning a new name every 5 years or so...

dllrbll7
04-14-2003, 12:40 AM
I dont think i will ever refer to it as US Cellular in a sentence unless someone corrects me. I have still been callin it Comiskey like everyone else but also have referred to it as The Cell on multiple occasions. My dad keeps calling it Us Sell your Sole or something. Im tryin to get him onto The Cell but he wont listen

Nellie_Fox
04-14-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
I dont think i will ever refer to it as US Cellular in a sentence unless someone corrects me. I have still been callin it Comiskey like everyone else but also have referred to it as The Cell on multiple occasions. My dad keeps calling it Us Sell your Sole or something. Im tryin to get him onto The Cell but he wont listen Your father shows the wisdom of age. Sit at his feet and learn. He will have stability, you will learn a new nickname every few years as Corporations consume Corporations, as is their way.

steff
04-14-2003, 01:11 PM
I just say I'm going to the yard.

soxnut
04-14-2003, 04:06 PM
I hardly ever refer to going to the parkwhen going to a game, I've always said "I'm going to the Sox game" (isn't that what most of you are going for anyway?)I only refer to the name of the park when I am actually talking about the park itself, and I mostly call it Comiskey, I don't have too much problem with the name considering what they are doing with the money from the naming rights.

As for the nickname "The Cell" --sometimes folks, I think you give yourself too much credit about this site starting things. As soon as I heard what the name of the park was going to be -- that was the first thing I thought of for a nickname -- "The Cell" I think it's only natural for people to think of "The Cell" as a nickname, unless I'm giving the rest of the world too much credit.-lol :smile:

Kilroy
04-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
As for the nickname "The Cell" --sometimes folks, I think you give yourself too much credit about this site starting things. As soon as I heard what the name of the park was going to be -- that was the first thing I thought of for a nickname -- "The Cell" I think it's only natural for people to think of "The Cell" as a nickname, unless I'm giving the rest of the world too much credit.-lol :smile:

I agree. That is the logical nickname, and I also thought of it right away. I prefer CELL BLOCK 35. It works on multiple levels, but that won't catch on. And like many others, I can't stop calling it Comiskey anyway...

Hullett_Fan
04-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Anyone else catch that right at the end of the game? Damen Andrews said in the post game show they will "Examine The Cell"

I call it "The Cell"....but if Damon Andrews is calling it that, then I'll call it something else, because (as I've said before) that guy is the WORST studio analyst I've ever seen/heard.

Note to FSN: Bring back Steve Kashul!

Hangar18
04-14-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

hey,,,,,Im taking a stand here. The nano-second I heard the rumor that US CEllular was going to be the name of the park, I said cool, were getting money to fix the park up at "the cell".
I personally wanted Household Finance to get the deal, so We couldve said we were going to a game at "The House on 35th"

voodoochile
04-14-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
hey,,,,,Im taking a stand here. The nano-second I heard the rumor that US CEllular was going to be the name of the park, I said cool, were getting money to fix the park up at "the cell".
I personally wanted Household Finance to get the deal, so We couldve said we were going to a game at "The House on 35th"

Going to a game could have been termed "taking it to the house." When the Sox win the division, we could have had a "House Party". Nancy could have been the official "House Music" of the Sox. Oh what could have been...

Foulke You
04-14-2003, 06:59 PM
What are the folks in San Diego going to call Petco Park, the Padres new park next year? The Pethouse? The Kennel? What? :D:

Keep reminding me that we could have done a lot worse than U.S. Cellular.

MRKARNO
04-14-2003, 10:17 PM
"The Cell" is a good nickname which will probably become mainstream within a few months