PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Royals Series

Lip Man 1
04-13-2003, 02:44 PM
Just a thought or two on the upcoming Royals series for discussion.

I think this series is shaping up as something a little more important then normal for an April series.

Three reasons for this.

1.) The Sox begin Sunday play already four games behind. If K.C. somehow takes two or all three games that's starting to open up a fairly big gap, especially for this early in the season. If I recall last year the Sox dropped five games in the standings to Minnesota in a week and were basically done. You simply can't fall that far behind regardless of what point in the season you are.

2.) If the Sox do fall a decent number of games behind, you have to assume the discussions will start in management about potential moves comes July. You want the Sox to be close enough so that management will talk about 'adding" talent, not "unloading" it.

3.) I'm a big believer in the psychological impact of things on a team. The longer K.C. wins, the more they start to believe they actually can. Once they start to really think they can become the next "worst to first" club anything can happen. The Sox have enough reasons for concern, they don't need a club starting out like the 84 Tigers (35-5)

This is a big series starting Tuesday and the Sox need to bring their "A" game, not their "C" one.

Just my opinion.

Lip

RedPinStripes
04-13-2003, 02:54 PM
I agree with that. The scarry part is a few years ago we thought the twins had a horse shoe up their ass when they went on a tear and it took more then a season to realize they were actually a real good team eventhough they were one f the worst teams around before their hot streak. I'm still trying to figure out if KC has actually gotten a lot better or if they're just on a streak like the Indians were last year.

voodoochile
04-13-2003, 03:45 PM
Well, the Royals lost today, so it is only 3 games, currently. I agree though that this is an important series starting on Tuesday. Not because the results will greatly increase or decrease the Sox chances of making the playoffs, IMO, but because it is important that the Sox get up for the games and make a statement to the Royals. The opposite can be true also, as Lip already pointed out.

GO SOX!
First place by Thursday...

WinningUgly!
04-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

GO SOX!
First place by Thursday...

I like it...I'm putting this is my sig. :)

voodoochile
04-13-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I like it...I'm putting this is my sig. :)

That'll be $10 please... :)

WinningUgly!
04-13-2003, 03:59 PM
That'll be $10 please... :)

It's in the mail. :D:

voodoochile
04-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
It's in the mail. :D:

Oh, okay, thanks... I assume the teal was used by accident... :)

HawkDJ
04-13-2003, 04:11 PM
It'll be tough to win Game 2. Runelvys Hernandez (0.45 ERA) vs Jon Garland (9.00 ERA). AH! The other ones we should have a good chance to win if our offense decides to show up.

bc2k
04-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
It'll be tough to win Game 2. Runelvys Hernandez (0.45 ERA) vs Jon Garland (9.00 ERA). AH! The other ones we should have a good chance to win if our offense decides to show up.

Hey HawkDJ, let's not talk clouds on a sunny day. Ok? :?:

jeremyb1
04-13-2003, 06:42 PM

haha. ok. it will be tough to score a run in that game right since hernandez' era is under 1 and guys' performance after three games is always the best indicator of how they'll pitch this season. have you heard the rumors about maddux for hernandez?

jeremyb1
04-13-2003, 06:44 PM
as you can probably tell from my post above i don't feel that this series is incredibly important. going 9-1 does not mean that you're going to be a good team all season. anyone remember when we faced this exact same situation last year against the indians? everyone had written about how they were the real deal becuase of their start? they lost about two thirds of their games the rest of the way through. i don't think it was only because we beat them in that series. it was because they weren't a good team. the same applies to kc in my opinion. they'll keep winning just as long as hernandez' era remains below 1. my guess is it won't last.

bc2k
04-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
haha. ok. it will be tough to score a run in that game right since hernandez' era is under 1 and guys' performance after three games is always the best indicator of how they'll pitch this season. have you heard the rumors about maddux for hernandez?

Are you saying that game 2 isn't our least likely game to win?

I can't speak for HawkDJ, but I think that was the point he was making.

MRKARNO
04-13-2003, 06:53 PM
Who is to say that we can't sweep the Royals? Now that it is warming up, maybe the Royals will cool off

joecrede
04-13-2003, 06:54 PM
as you can probably tell from my post above i don't feel that this series is incredibly important. going 9-1 does not mean that you're going to be a good team all season. anyone remember when we faced this exact same situation last year against the indians? everyone had written about how they were the real deal becuase of their start? they lost about two thirds of their games the rest of the way through. i don't think it was only because we beat them in that series. it was because they weren't a good team. the same applies to kc in my opinion. they'll keep winning just as long as hernandez' era remains below 1. my guess is it won't last.

I remember all the quotes from Indians players attributing their hot start to the clubhouse being a much better place since Lofton and his music were gone. Funny, didn't see any Indians talking about the positive effects of that in August . . .

CWsox45
04-13-2003, 07:00 PM

Well the Sox have seen Hernandez and should be able to hit him. I think Garland is hungry for his first win, he pitched well against KC last time out. Hopefully the defense will help him out this game.

CWSOX45

HawkDJ
04-13-2003, 07:52 PM
I wasn't trying to be so negative in that post. I think you guys have taken it a little far. I'm just saying it's their best pitcher vs our worst so far this year. I'm not saying we can't win, it's just that logic would tell you a guy who has completely dominated 3 starts would have a better chance at beating someone who has been more than a little wild.

guillen4life13
04-13-2003, 08:34 PM
I wasn't trying to be so negative in that post. I think you guys have taken it a little far. I'm just saying it's their best pitcher vs our worst so far this year. I'm not saying we can't win it's just that logic would tell you a guy who has compltely dominated 3 starts would have a better chance at beating someone who has been more than a little wild.

nicely said

jeremyb1
04-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Are you saying that game 2 isn't our least likely game to win?

I can't speak for HawkDJ, but I think that was the point he was making.

well it wasn't phrases exactly like that. it was implied that we didn't stand much of a chance in that game and i disagree with that. we're refering to 3 starts for each pitcher so far so i wouldn't give that much credit to the season stats. hernandez has only started 15 games in his career. i'd be suprised if he is really this good and if he doesn't battle inconsistency much this season.

despite each pitchers performance so far i think garland is the better pitcher. despite the fact that he's been in the league for parts of three seasons he's still a year and a half younger than hernandez and has much more experience at this level. we'll have to see what happens.

maurice
04-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I think this series is shaping up as something a little more important then normal for an April series.

I agree (shudder). :D:

I'm not saying the Sox need to sweep, but getting their butts handed to them AGAIN would give KC a huge psychological edge. OTOH, this presents a great opportunity to knock KC back down to earth, show them who the REAL contenders are, and set the tone for the rest of the season.

czalgosz
04-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
I remember all the quotes from Indians players attributing their hot start to the clubhouse being a much better place since Lofton and his music were gone. Funny, didn't see any Indians talking about the positive effects of that in August . . .

Interestingly enough, Pirates players are attributing their hot start in part to having Lofton on the team. Funny how veteran players are a "positive presence" when you're winning, and a "distraction" when you're losing...

Anyway, as to the Royals series, I'd be happy if the Sox can take two out of three. Winning tomorrow, with Buerhle on the mound, is pretty important, IMO.

34 Inch Stick
04-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Loyd McClendon said over the weekend that if he had to pick a date for the point of his team's turn around it would be the day of the Fogg-Wells-Lowe for Ritchie trade.

Hangar18
04-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Lip is right. Already, were 2 weeks into the season and were about to come to a Season CrossRoads. This is EXACTLY like last year, where we got swept by the TWINS over there AND Here.
Before we knew it, we were so far behind, the season was lost by May. Im speaking the Truth Here, IF WE DONT SWEEP THEM (even winning 2 of 3 only gains us 1 game) OR WERE DONE.
YES, you heard it right, WERE DONE, because that team is going to get really confident they can beat a "good" team, esp the fact they ALSO REALIZE they have to SWEEP US, just to prove they can hang onto this division. Fast Starts are so damn important, and the sox are just "OK" right now at 7-5. "OK" teams dont win divisions.....and "OK" teams dont go to the Playoffs/World Series.
These guys better look in the mirror and Get Good and MAD and Dominate Them these next 3 days or else we'll be looking til
Next Year already. Now I know how cub fans feel. And I dont Like It.

voodoochile
04-14-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Lip is right. Already, were 2 weeks into the season and were about to come to a Season CrossRoads. This is EXACTLY like last year, where we got swept by the TWINS over there AND Here.
Before we knew it, we were so far behind, the season was lost by May. Im speaking the Truth Here, IF WE DONT SWEEP THEM (even winning 2 of 3 only gains us 1 game) OR WERE DONE.
YES, you heard it right, WERE DONE, because that team is going to get really confident they can beat a "good" team, esp the fact they ALSO REALIZE they have to SWEEP US, just to prove they can hang onto this division. Fast Starts are so damn important, and the sox are just "OK" right now at 7-5. "OK" teams dont win divisions.....and "OK" teams dont go to the Playoffs/World Series.
These guys better look in the mirror and Get Good and MAD and Dominate Them these next 3 days or else we'll be looking til
Next Year already. Now I know how cub fans feel. And I dont Like It.

No, it isn't that intense, IMO. Yeah, I want the sweep, but this is not the be all and end all of the season right here. Sox are just starting to put it together. This is going to be a good team by the end of the year. They already are showing more heart than last year's team did. The pitching is way better and the offense is going to put up a bunch of runs.

You keep saying 7-5 and mediocre and I am going to counter with 7-2 over the last 9 games, 3 straight series wins against divisional foes, 2 on the road. This team is poised to make the next step and I think they will. They look way more focused than at any time I have seen them in the past. They are taking it seriously this year, IMO. There seems to be a lot more intensity. Notice what Sandy said about the hitters in the other thread, "They are trying too hard." Okay, the results aren't spectacular so far, but there is nothing wrong with too much effort...

GO SOX!
First Place By Thursday...

Hangar18
04-14-2003, 01:20 PM
No, it isn't that intense, IMO. Yeah, I want the sweep, but this is not the be all and end all of the season right here. Sox are just starting to put it together. This is going to be a good team by the end of the year. They already are showing more heart than last year's team did. The pitching is way better and the offense is going to put up a bunch of runs.

You keep saying 7-5 and mediocre and I am going to counter with 7-2 over the last 9 games, 3 straight series wins against divisional foes, 2 on the road. This team is poised to make the next step and I think they will. They look way more focused than at any time I have seen them in the past. They are taking it seriously this year, IMO. There seems to be a lot more intensity. Notice what Sandy said about the hitters in the other thread, "They are trying too hard." Okay, the results aren't spectacular so far, but there is nothing wrong with too much effort...

GO SOX!
First Place By Thursday...

Thanks VooDoo, I need some reassuring heheh. I hope these
guys turn it up man.....

voodoochile
04-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Thanks VooDoo, I need some reassuring heheh. I hope these
guys turn it up man.....

I think it's coming... I know that I'm biased (and utterly petty :D: ), but this team just feels different than it has the past couple of years. The main problem they've encountered is lack of production from the 3-7 hitters. Anyone expect that to continue?

DC Sox Fan
04-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Reading through all the pre-season picks, it's easy to see how the Royals could be playing with a chip on their shoulder. (Especially seeing how much they were made fun of in ESPN the Magazine). I think that has them fired up, and they're dangerous. This series will be a serious reality check. I think we'll win the series, and could sweep if we play our cards right...

TheBigHurt
04-14-2003, 02:54 PM
AS a Sox fan i really have to admit, unfortanley im actully scared what will happen if we lose this series.....NOT worried that we wont win becuase i am confident we will win

pudge
04-14-2003, 04:16 PM

Probably true, but we can think of it this way: this series more important than we thought it would be at this point!