PDA

View Full Version : Going Halfway on a Pop fly

pudge
04-12-2003, 05:56 PM
For those who watched the game, it seemed that WGN never showed where Rowand was when the CF dropped that fly ball - It looked as if Rowand was halfway, and then started to go back before realizing the ball was dropped. Did anyone else see or hear anything regarding this? I was just curious, because it looked like a runner could have had plenty of time to make it to second after the CF dropped the ball and took a few seconds picking it up off the ground.

The Sox would have likely won the game if the force-out never happened.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-12-2003, 06:34 PM
It didn't appear to be a very deep fly. Rowand may have needed to stay closer to first base just to prevent the double-play.

This is the sort of play Farmer would have whined about if Rowand had truly screwed up. Did anybody hear the radiocast?

MHOUSE
04-13-2003, 12:27 AM
It's not everyday that a CF drops the ball that bad. It wasn't especially deep and C Lee had been doubled before that, so maybe he just didn't want to risk it which I understand. It would have been nice to have one out and the bases full but we should have put them away otherwise and it wouldn't have mattered.

Brian26
04-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
This is the sort of play Farmer would have whined about if Rowand had truly screwed up. Did anybody hear the radiocast?

I heard it. Ed and John immediately said, "there was nothing Rowand could do on that play". The ball was hit so shallow in center, there was no way for Rowand to advance to second safely. Not a mistake on Rowand's part at all.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-13-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I heard it. Ed and John immediately said, "there was nothing Rowand could do on that play". The ball was hit so shallow in center, there was no way for Rowand to advance to second safely. Not a mistake on Rowand's part at all.

Thanks for the clarification. It's hard to judge these sorts of things watching on television, and Hawk and D.J. won't tell you the real story unless its August and the Sox are on the verge of falling 15 games off the pace. :smile:

I can usually count on Farmer whining about almost anything(with John chiming in) that involves poor judgment or poor fundamentals.

:sahaf
"Their stomachs will be roasted in hell for speaking against our Sox!"

MHOUSE
04-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Rooney and Farmer are great announcers. Hawk and DJ just suck up to management. They put me to sleep. Rooney and Farmer are fun, informative, and objective.

When C Lee came up with those clear glasses on Farmer said "and here's Carlos wearing the clear sunglasses. Well they're more like safety goggles since sunglasses wouldn't be clear." and Farmer chimes in with "maybe he'll weld a homerun," It was hilarious! hahaha