PDA

View Full Version : One Word: Embarrassing

kevingrt
04-12-2003, 03:13 PM
That's all I can say! Leave 100 guys on base! Are pitchers pitched a game that we should win! How the heel did we lose this game??? Our hitters are completely sucking now, and i have no optimism in them now. Everyone says wait its cold they'll get better, but right now i see nothoing in them that will get them better. Right now im just really pisseed off, but this WAS HORRID!

Lip Man 1
04-12-2003, 03:25 PM
The Tigers had to win sometime but I agree that leaving 14 men on base is very poor.

This 6-5 start isn't what I envisioned for the Sox at the beginning of the season.

I sure hope the situational / clutch hitting gets better soon.

Lip

T Dog
04-12-2003, 04:02 PM
The way Detroit played today, they didn't deserve to win either. I can't remember the last time I saw two outs on a play involving the infield fly rule in a major league game. Losing all of your games apparently isn't as easy as it sounds. And it's always nice to have an easy force at second when you drop a fly ball in center.

Except for those three losses at Kansas City, the Sox have gotten off to a good start. The Sox may even have a chance to be both the first team to lose to the Tigers and to beat the Royals.

doublem23
04-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Considering how bad the heart of the lineup has been hitting, I'm not too worried about 6-5.

RichH55
04-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Considering how bad the heart of the lineup has been hitting, I'm not too worried about 6-5.

A good point, but you still have to win winable games against piss poor teams. You aren't going to win all the games against the A's and Yankees of the world so mop up the poor teams when you get the chance.....for petes sake they were playing a guy named something like "Mochachino" in CF today.....ugh

That German they have does look like he could be something though

WhiteSoxWinner
04-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
That German they have does look like he could be something though

You mean this guy?

HOGAN!!!!!!!!!!

GASHWOUND
04-12-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
That's all I can say! Leave 100 guys on base! Are pitchers pitched a game that we should win! How the heel did we lose this game??? Our hitters are completely sucking now, and i have no optimism in them now. Everyone says wait its cold they'll get better, but right now i see nothoing in them that will get them better. Right now im just really pisseed off, but this WAS HORRID!

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to call this lost "embarrassing"
We lost 4-3 in a tight ballgame, the Tigers aren't gonna go 0-162, had to win sometime and today was that time. just 1 of the 55 other wins they'll get this season. Didn't see the game, but read the box scores and stuff..Sox left 14 men on base, including leaving the bases loaded a few times..yep, sounds like our Sox sad to say. This has been going on for a couple years now.
We get guys on 1st and 3rd..nobody out, or 2nd and 3rd..1 out, and like today have the bases loaded and not getting that hit..we have no killer instinct on the club, there's absolutely no balance in this line-up with our line-up consisting of 7 consecutive right handers..we're bound to have a whole bunch of hitting slumps throughout the season.

I never seen a team score more runs in the league other than 2 teams the past few years be such a crappy hitting team with runners in scoring position. It's disgusting the inadequacy of our hitters to have sometime all winning teams MUST possess..CLUTCHness

StepsInSC
04-12-2003, 05:59 PM
We can still take 2 out of 3 tomarrow, and ever since that debacle of an opening series, we've taken at least 2 out of 3 from each team. I think what's causing everyone to panic a little more this year is KCs great start, but with as many times as we play them, if we continue to take 2 out of 3 games in each series I for one will be very comfotable.

Viva Magglio
04-12-2003, 06:25 PM
That loss cannot be excusable by any means, especially after leaving 14 men on base! We should have pounded Detroit today. While I wish we were better than 6-5, three of those five losses are attributable to KC's run. And we should have won at least two of those games. Since the series against the Royals, our record is 6-2. If we win tomorrow, it will be our third straight series win. Our first real test will actually come next week when we host Kansas City. It is imperative that we take at least two of three in that series as well.

HawkDJ
04-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

I never seen a team score more runs in the league other than 2 teams the past few years be such a crappy hitting team with runners in scoring position. It's disgusting the inadequacy of our hitters to have sometime all winning teams MUST possess..CLUTCHness

Would you believe me if I told you we lead the MLB with a .290 batting average with RISP last year? Probably not, but it's true. We also were 6th in baseball in 2001 with a .281 average with RISP.

Still don't believe me? Take a look:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics?stat=teambat&league=mlb&sortColumn=avg&season=2&year=2002&split=39

baggio202
04-12-2003, 10:13 PM
if we win tommorrow we go 4-2 on this road trip...ill take that...and we got colon going to the bump..exactly the situation we invisioned when we got him..to win the rubber games

Rocklive99
04-12-2003, 11:35 PM
This team is kind of looking mediocore to me again like last year. The thing that scares me is that we haven't even played the elite teams yet. I don't care how good the Royals are, we were supposed to be projected to hang with the best of them this year, and we should still have been able to beat them. Oh well, theres always tomorow.

A.T. Money
04-13-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
if we win tommorrow we go 4-2 on this road trip...ill take that...and we got colon going to the bump..exactly the situation we invisioned when we got him..to win the rubber games

No kidding.

I think everyone is getting a little bit too worried. It's been 11 games. We're still in second place, and there is no way KC will be doing this all year.

Colon is pitching, and here's to hoping he can get win #1 tomorow.

MHOUSE
04-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Stewart got a little roughed up but he pitched out of that jam with the bases loaded which was real good to see. Without that homer he was just fine.

The bullpen was solid through the three pitchers Jerry used which was nice. Flash didn't spark an opponent rally like usual. Is he the second coming of gascan?

It was our hitting that lost it today. 14 stranded? Come on! The baserunning was bad again with Lee getting doubled up and Rowand getting forced on that dropped ball.

We had every chance to win and they only played well enough to sneak by on our bad. If we win 2 of 3 all year it'll be ok. Beat KC is all I hafta say! Go Sox! No more mediocrity!

Nellie_Fox
04-13-2003, 01:24 AM
Waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too early to start going nuts.

This is what happens when you build a team around offense. Offense goes hot and cold. Defense shows up the same every day, good or bad.

RichH55
04-13-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

This is what happens when you build a team around offense. Offense goes hot and cold. Defense shows up the same every day, good or bad.

I'll take outstanding pitching over both of them.....You can win with Tony Womack at SS....hard to win without the horse at number 1 SP

pudge
04-13-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

I don't know who's going nuts, we're just disgusted at a horrible game. These are the kinds of games division winners find a way to win.

GASHWOUND
04-13-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
Would you believe me if I told you we lead the MLB with a .290 batting average with RISP last year? Probably not, but it's true. We also were 6th in baseball in 2001 with a .281 average with RISP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics?stat=teambat&league=mlb&sortColumn=avg&season=2&year=2002&split=39

Nope, still don't believe it..gonna have tyo do better than that. :D:

I guess I must have been drunk while watching Sox games the last couple years cause when we have had the bases loaded with 0 or 1 out we'd be lucky to get 1 run, and 1 at that..
I couldn't have been dreaming this, it happened I tell ya.. :whiner:

doublem23
04-13-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by pudge
I don't know who's going nuts, we're just disgusted at a horrible game. These are the kinds of games division winners find a way to win.

Anyone who expected the Sox to go 19-0 against Detroit, raise your hand....

Like baggs, said... 4-2 on an intradivision road trip? I'll take that ****. Had we even savaged one game in KC, we'd be 7-4 right now... I ain't worried.

GASHWOUND
04-13-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Anyone who expected the Sox to go 19-0 against Detroit, raise your hand....

Like baggs, said... 4-2 on an intradivision road trip? I'll take that ****. Had we even savaged one game in KC, we'd be 7-4 right now... I ain't worried.

(hand raised) Me! ME!

dougs78
04-13-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ

That is sort of hard to believe. I tend to agree with GASH that it sure seems this is a common theme for the Sox, but I guess it must be for every team in baseball.

This makes me wonder how spoiled we still are from the 2000 team. They were so amazing at that, perhaps we are holding the subsequent teams to a standard that simply cannot be realized.

What was our BA w/ RISP that year?

Lip Man 1
04-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Hawk/DJ says: "Would you believe me if I told you we lead the MLB with a .290 batting average with RISP last year? Probably not, but it's true. We also were 6th in baseball in 2001 with a .281 average with RISP."

I'm not sure if this is an indictment of the other MLB teams, or of statistics in general.

Also I agree with Nellie Fox on his philosophy of defense first (and I'd also add pitching if you want to win.)

Lip

Nellie_Fox
04-13-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Also I agree with Nellie Fox on his philosophy of defense first (and I'd also add pitching if you want to win.)

Lip Good pitching is a given if you want to win. It just seems that with the available talent pool, teams often have to choose between defense and offense. Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.

Of course, if you can get both, that's great, but few teams can. Like I said before, offense goes hot and cold, but good defense comes to the park every day.