PDA

View Full Version : Stewart reminds me of sirotka

Huisj
04-12-2003, 01:19 PM
I didn't see him pitch last week, but i just started watching the game today, and the comparisons someone here gave of him to mike sirotka really seems to make sense. even his motion reminds me of sirtoka.

Iguana775
04-12-2003, 01:39 PM
now that you mention that, he does kind of look like Siro on the mound.

A.T. Money
04-12-2003, 01:58 PM
I thought about making the exact same thread today!

MHOUSE
04-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Hopefully he doesn't remind K Willy of Sirotka.

:KW

"I hear that David Wells is ptiching very well for the Yankees. Perhaps we could work out a trade........."

voodoochile
04-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Hopefully he doesn't remind K Willy of Sirotka.

:KW

"I hear that David Wells is ptiching very well for the Yankees. Perhaps we could work out a trade........."

And WHY would that be a bad thing? Stewart for Wells? I'd throw in Glover and Ginter to make that trade...

Jjav829
04-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
And WHY would that be a bad thing? Stewart for Wells? I'd throw in Glover and Ginter to make that trade...

A promising young lefty and two decent relievers for a 39 year old whose more concerned with drinking than pitching, and a guy we've already dealt with? No thanks!

BTW, Wells offered to retire (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0412/1537999.html)

MHOUSE
04-13-2003, 01:30 AM
Voodoochile I hope that was supposed to be in teal! :o:

Jjav has the right idea! :smile:

LuvSox
04-13-2003, 09:03 AM
I thought the same thing about Stewart looking like Sirotka, especially when he threw that slow-pitch-softball round tripper.

voodoochile
04-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Voodoochile I hope that was supposed to be in teal! :o:

Jjav has the right idea! :smile:

No, it was not intended to be in teal. I want to win this year and a 3rd stud pitcher could put the Sox over the top. Maybe my trade offer was too much for an aging pitcher, but with Boomer on the team (have you checked out his stats last year and the beginning of this year?) the Sox would be pennant favorites and would probably walk away with the division. How would you like to have three 20-game winners on the staff? I don't want to play for next year anymore. This years team is built to win NOW.

I don't trust Stewart to do this long term. I think he is going to be a flash in the pan and when teams see him the second time they will hit him much harder than they did the first time. He has a nice curve ball and a solid slider, but once teams learn to sit on the curve, he is going to get hit, IMO. I think we saw a bit of that today with the Tigers...

joecrede
04-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Josh Stewart has had the good fortune of pitching against the Tigers. His combination of velocity and command is not up to major league standards. He may develop better command and turn into a Sirotka type pitcher down the road, but given the time that would be likely to take it probably won't happen while he's a member of the White Sox organization.

By the way for all the Garland detractors out there, Stewart is ~10 months older.

Randar68
04-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
A promising young lefty and two decent relievers for a 39 year old whose more concerned with drinking than pitching, and a guy we've already dealt with? No thanks!

BTW, Wells offered to retire (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0412/1537999.html)

Since when does being a 30 year-old make you "A promising young lefty".

Randar68
04-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Stewart throws 4 pitches and never even flirts with 90 mph. Siro was a 3-pitch pitcher and could hit 92-93 regularly.

There is no comparison other than what hand they throw the ball with. Even their deliveries are not similar.

MRKARNO
04-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Well I sure hope Stewart Does better than Sirotka and he doesn't ruin his career with an injury like Mike Sirotka did.

Jjav829
04-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Since when does being a 30 year-old make you "A promising young lefty".

I was talking about the 24 year old Josh Stewart. Not sure who you thought I was refering to...

Jjav829
04-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No, it was not intended to be in teal. I want to win this year and a 3rd stud pitcher could put the Sox over the top. Maybe my trade offer was too much for an aging pitcher, but with Boomer on the team (have you checked out his stats last year and the beginning of this year?) the Sox would be pennant favorites and would probably walk away with the division. How would you like to have three 20-game winners on the staff? I don't want to play for next year anymore. This years team is built to win NOW.

I don't trust Stewart to do this long term. I think he is going to be a flash in the pan and when teams see him the second time they will hit him much harder than they did the first time. He has a nice curve ball and a solid slider, but once teams learn to sit on the curve, he is going to get hit, IMO. I think we saw a bit of that today with the Tigers...

Well, I can understand your thinking, but I don't agree with it. To me, David Wells is pitching like that because he is with the Yankees. I still wouldn't do that trade. I think he'll break down at some point this year.

But hey, the trade would cement the Sox lead as the fattest team in the majors. :smile:

DonkeyKongerko
04-13-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

But hey, the trade would cement the Sox lead as the fattest team in the majors. :smile:

And Kenny would have a ton more tables to flip over.