PDA

View Full Version : Esteban Baby

Bucktown
04-11-2003, 11:26 PM
So far Loaiza has been more impressive than Colon, and perhaps Buehrle. 2-0 with a 1.23 ERA.

He is the kind of out-of-nowhere surprise that can lead to a pennant.

When was the last time we had 3 solid starters?

Rocklive99
04-12-2003, 12:03 AM
We should have 4. Come on Jon, just pretend you're always pitching against the Red Sox

MarkEdward
04-12-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown
So far Loaiza has been more impressive than Colon, and perhaps Buehrle. 2-0 with a 1.23 ERA.

He is the kind of out-of-nowhere surprise that can lead to a pennant.

He's also pitched against Detroit in those two outings...

MHOUSE
04-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Buehrle and Colon have done very well also. Of their 5 starts only one has been vs. the Tigers. Both of Loaiza's wins were against hapless Detroit. Regardless, it's nice to have 2-0 Loaiza and 2-1 Buehrle. Colon has kept us in the games and Stewart will put out a good performance every time. If only Garland could show up.........

DrCrawdad
04-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
He's also pitched against Detroit in those two outings...

True, very true. But they're wins just the same.

Esteban had a terrific Spring Training, for what that is worth, glad to see that he's carried into his first two starts.

Garland looked so poised in the game I saw him pitch against the Cubs. I hope that confident, determined pitcher is who shows up for his next outing.

If I could give Garland a word of advice, don't complain about lack of run support just yet. Garland, you didn't pick-up 12 wins last year on the strength of your pitching, you're offense sure must have bailed you out at times.

Rocklive99
04-12-2003, 01:15 AM
I'm not sure, but wasn't Loaiza an opening day starter last year?

WinningUgly!
04-12-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
I'm not sure, but wasn't Loaiza an opening day starter last year?

No. He didn't make his 1st start last year until May 14th. He missed spring training and the opening six weeks of the season because of tightness in his right shoulder in 2002. He did start the opener for Toronto in 2001.

Lip Man 1
04-12-2003, 02:06 AM
I guess it would be 2000 with Eldred, Baldwin and Sirotka. (Before they all got hurt.)

In 1994 Sox starters were solid across the board...McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez, Bere and Sanderson.

Lip

lowesox
04-12-2003, 10:41 AM
I've watched Loaiza a lot in the last 2 years, and while I hope I'm wrong, I really doubt he'll be this "lights out" all year. That said, if he wins 12+ games, I'd be really really happy.

And judging by our stats I think it would be fair to say that the sox have 4 good starters considering that Stewart has looked solid in his start (and spring starts.)

T Dog
04-12-2003, 11:47 AM
I've never really paid much attention to Loaiza when he was with Toronto. Farmer, though, says he is pitching differently than he has in the past. If everybody assumes Kerry Wood will be better than a .500, maybe such a Loaiza leap isn't so far-fetched.

34 Inch Stick
04-12-2003, 01:28 PM
I expected nothing from him this year. Even Manuel said all he expected was for him to take innings and keep them close most of the time.

It is not that he has beaten the Tigers, he has dominated them. I am thrilled with what he has done so far, but I am still realistic in my expectations for the season.

RichH55
04-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I expected nothing from him this year. Even Manuel said all he expected was for him to take innings and keep them close most of the time.

It is not that he has beaten the Tigers, he has dominated them. I am thrilled with what he has done so far, but I am still realistic in my expectations for the season.

Agreed....coupled with his history of loving to pitch in April, this is definately something we have to temper our enthiusiam(sic) about