PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout them Royals?!

MarkEdward
04-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Another win, this time 1-0 over Cleveland.

KC scores one run on four hits.

They're in our division, and I shouldn't be rooting for them, but it's pretty hard not to.

SoxxoS
04-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Why is it hard not to root for them? If they win the division, and we don't get the wild card, then we don't get to go to the playoffs. It's as simple as that.

A.T. Money
04-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Shane Spencer tried to go for 3 on a hit over the RF's head and got thrown out. You jack one over the dude's head, and they still find a way to get you out. Talk about getting lucky. :whiner:

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-11-2003, 09:54 PM
it wont last long. the royals are no cindarella, they wont compete. trust me.

kermittheefrog
04-11-2003, 09:57 PM
I think it's pretty hard not to be bewildered about the whole thing. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's hard to not root for them. Actually every day so far I've wanted them to lose.

jortafan
04-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Don't forget people, that last year, the Indians started out with an 11-1 record. a week and a half later, they were barely .500.

My point?

The Royals' winning ways can go just as quickly as they come. The same goes for our team.

nut_stock
04-11-2003, 10:47 PM
I watched the last inning of that game and that was a damn good throw that got Spencer at third. anything less than a perfect throw from rf and he was safe.

MRKARNO
04-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

They're in our division, and I shouldn't be rooting for them, but it's pretty hard not to.

I can't tell you how easy it is to root against them

Look at the Sox. 6-4. Not bad by any means. It projects to 97 wins. The fact that we are 3.5 game behind them for the division lead makes it real darn easy to root against them. The Twins are doing horribly, but KC is spoiling the Sox' chance at leading the Central.

Bucktown
04-11-2003, 11:15 PM
I am kind of rooting for the Royals as well. I love underdogs. Did you ever see Hoosiers?

As long as I am airing secrets, I am starting to feel bad for the Tigers too.

voodoochile
04-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Root? For the Royals??!??!??!!! What are you people, nuts???!???!?! GO TRIBE! GO SOX! First place by Thursday!

sox_fan_forever
04-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Tell me about it! I don't know how anyone can root for the Royals! I'm rooting againt them HARD right now.

Bucktown
04-11-2003, 11:56 PM
The best comparison for these Royals is the 1987 Brewers that won their first 13 games, then failed to make the playoffs.

One of this games was a no-hitter. I want to say that was thrown by Jamie Navarro. Anyone remember.

whitesoxwilkes
04-11-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I am kind of rooting for the Royals as well. I love underdogs. Did you ever see Hoosiers?

I feel bad for the Tigers as well...but they can drag this losing streak on for 2 more games. I pity the Devil Rays and Expos too.

MarkEdward
04-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Let me clarify: I want the Sox to win the division, but I'd be happy to see the Royals win the Wild Card.

Tragg
04-12-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

It's damn easy for me to root against them. We've been beaten by these "come from nowhere" teams enough in the past (2001, 1991). We need to sweep their ass next week.

MHOUSE
04-12-2003, 12:40 AM
How about we all focus on our own team and not concentrate so much on whether or not the Royals are winning. If we focus on our Sox and we play our game then in time we'll win out and it won't matter what they do. Root for us to win it, not them to lose it for us. Their hot streak will end for sure, but it all depends on how they face adversity when it comes. You can't deny that it takes a good team to come out undefeated.

GASHWOUND
04-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Root? For the Royals??!??!??!!! What are you people, nuts???!???!?! GO TRIBE! GO SOX! First place by Thursday!

That's exactly my sentiment.., Screw the freakin Royals!
The only time I'll root for the Royals is whne they play the Twinkies cause I can't stand them, other then that..I hope they lose every game.

T Dog
04-12-2003, 12:56 AM
Weak teams can have hot streaks. The Sox won 10 straight in 1976. They only won 64 games all year. The last time they opened a season with eight straight wins, they finished third.

Kansas City will find out soon that losing isn't so difficult. It could even become habit-forming.

Streaks at the beginning of the year get more notice. When the Brewers opened the 1987 season with 13 wins, their streak was broken by the Sox. Winning pitcher Joel Davis was interviewed after the game on ESPN about his giant-killing feat. I think that was his only win of the season.

Season opening losing streaks, though, can ruin a season. I thought it was bad when the Sox lost 10 straight to open 1968. I can only imagine how bad things must be for Tiger fans. But under no circumstances would I ever feel sorry for a Detroit baseball team, just as it didn't upset me a few years ago when the Cubs had double-digit losses before recording a win.

GASHWOUND
04-12-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown

Hoosiers?? What does IU have to do with anything :smile:

I'm going around seeing what other teams think of us and nobody has any respect for us, forget the Royals

Here are some Royals fans comment about their winning streak

"Well you can look at it like this. Who have they played so far. Three of the worst teams in the worst teams in MLB. While I think it is great that most reporters think the White Sox are the team in the division and we swept them already. We are beating the best of the worste teams.
When we face the Yankees, Red Soxs, Mariners we will truly turn heads"

"CBSSportsline is saying what everyone (outside KC) realizes - that we've beat up on teams that EVERYONE is going to beat up on. When we sweep a REAL team, then everyone OUTSIDE KC will be convinced. All this little run means is that we're not the worst team. But, that doesn't make us good - much less one of the best."

"A lot of people thought that the White Sox would win the division with their new additions. We torched them. The Royals aren't the best team in the league, but they are pretty good and should finish over .500, which is a great improvement over last year. We could even compete for the AL Central crown because of how weak the other teams are"

This is from a non-Royals fan

"Listen up kids. You're in a fantasy land and fixin' for a seriously rude awakening if you think the Royals are on their way to the post-season. Got news for ya: not gonna happen. The Royals have played only the weakest of the weak, within their own weak little division: Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit. Now sure, if only their schedule consisted only of games against this merry band of who's who amongst baseball's most hilarious blooper teams, they might possibly have a shot at the playoffs. But alas this is not so. This wild ride is coming to a quick close. Enjoy it while it lasts kids"

According to alot of people, alot considers us nobodies,
So who are the underdogs again??
We should be rooting for ourselves, worrying about ourselves

WinningUgly!
04-12-2003, 01:54 AM
I don't see anyway the Royals can keep this going, but who knows? Stranger things have happened. Look at the '00 Sox & the Twins the past few seasons...nobody expected much from either team. A hot start can go a long way into making a young team think & play better than they actually might be.

voodoochile
04-12-2003, 12:01 PM
Well, the Sox will be pitching Colon, Buehrle and Loaiza this coming series against the Royals. So the pitching should be solid. Hopefully the bats can continue to heat up and we can show the Royals AND their fans exactly what they have to look forward to all season long - our taillights...

GO SOX! First Place by Thursday!

TheBigHurt
04-12-2003, 12:48 PM
YOUR rooting for thr Royals, Mark Edward? THERE in our div in fact they lead our div. you cant be rooting for them...ITS that simple

T Dog
04-12-2003, 05:08 PM
I wonder how many soft-hearted Royals fans were rooting for the underdog Southside Hitmen in 1977.

Hangar18
04-13-2003, 12:46 PM
No, its not easy to root for the Royals. I may have had they not jumped on the Merchandising Bandwagon and made their hats BLACK, ridiculous. The black trim on the jerseys is ok, but thats all, they look like copycats, so for that Reason Also, im ROOTING AGAINST ROYALS. almost as bad as I hate the Mets for that awful uniform they wear now....black hats, jerseys...awful.

Hangar18
04-13-2003, 12:49 PM
and another thing, the Royals hot start is EXACTLY WHAT THESE STUPID SOX Shouldve have been doing. It is IMPERATIVE that they finish this month RED HOT. may is going to be very tough, and were already starting to fall behind. and before everyone says hey, were only 3 1/2 back, look at KC's record, they continue this for the month, they will be the 2000 SOX. they can coast the rest of the way, and we'll have to listen to Jerry Manuel talking about how "theres a lot of games against kc left". man...
this is supposed to be our year, and these sox arent taking advantage of it!

Lip Man 1
04-13-2003, 02:25 PM
Hanger 18 says: "These Sox arent taking advantage of it!" (i.e. a 'soft" early schedule...)

Well this franchise has been very inconsistent since 2000, maybe we shouldn't be surprised at this.

Lip

voodoochile
04-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
and another thing, the Royals hot start is EXACTLY WHAT THESE STUPID SOX Shouldve have been doing. It is IMPERATIVE that they finish this month RED HOT. may is going to be very tough, and were already starting to fall behind. and before everyone says hey, were only 3 1/2 back, look at KC's record, they continue this for the month, they will be the 2000 SOX. they can coast the rest of the way, and we'll have to listen to Jerry Manuel talking about how "theres a lot of games against kc left". man...
this is supposed to be our year, and these sox arent taking advantage of it!

Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hanger 18 says: "These Sox arent taking advantage of it!" (i.e. a 'soft" early schedule...)

Well this franchise has been very inconsistent since 2000, maybe we shouldn't be surprised at this.

Lip

I guess I'm confused. The Sox ARE hot. They are 7-2 over their last 9 games, have won 3 straight series - ALL against divisional rivals - 2 of those on the road. The only team they've lost a series to is the aforementioned Royals - who (as the title of this thread implies) are REDHOT. Sox get a second crack against them starting Tuesday.

MRKARNO
04-13-2003, 06:50 PM
:sahaf

"The stupid infidels, who name their city Kansas when it is in Missouri, will fall to the bottom of the division like the head of Saddam's statue"