PDA

View Full Version : State of the bullpen

lowesox
04-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Flash has looked terrible so far this season. I'd rather not see him in any key situations until he straightens himself out. Right now, I'm loving MArte for the 7th, and 8th inning. And I think White could help out to. Despite a slow spring his ERA has been pretty solid this season (I think his ERA is like 2 something...)

Also is Kelly Wunsch reminding anybody else of the Kelly Wunsch from a couple years ago?

MHOUSE
04-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Marte and Glover look great. White is coming around and Wunsch needs more work. He only ever goes 0.1 IP or so. Leave him in Jer he's good! Flash has been crap but hopefully he straighten it out.

lowesox
04-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Oh ya - forgot about Glover. So Flash is the only guy who struggling right now. Wouldn't it be nice to have 5 guys throwing well consistently all year?

MRKARNO
04-10-2003, 11:18 PM
Kelly Wunsch is stuggling as well

Jjav829
04-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Kelly Wunsch is stuggling as well

Hes pitched in 3 games for a combined 1 inning and hasn't given up a run though he has walked 2. Not exactly what I would call struggling...

TheBigHurt
04-10-2003, 11:37 PM
SIMPLY, put the only Sox player in the Pen struggling is Flash

*a side not WhoooooooHoooooooooo since i didnt get a chance to say it yet (not couting verbally :D: )

gosox3072
04-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Funny how flash seems to be the one who JM puts in during every key situation

Good old JERRY THE TINKERER

baggio202
04-11-2003, 12:22 AM
flash is struggling with his control..his stuff looks good...he is throwing 95 mph and his 12-6 curveball has been devestating at times...i wouldnt give up on him just yet....and im not even a fan of his..but if he can get it together we would have 3 guys in white , gordon and koch who are pennant race tested plus kelly wunsch from the '00 season...nice to have that experience in august and sept when trying to hold on to one run leads late..so lets hope flash gets it together

RichH55
04-11-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
flash is struggling with his control..his stuff looks good...he is throwing 95 mph and his 12-6 curveball has been devestating at times...i wouldnt give up on him just yet....and im not even a fan of his..but if he can get it together we would have 3 guys in white , gordon and koch who are pennant race tested plus kelly wunsch from the '00 season...nice to have that experience in august and sept when trying to hold on to one run leads late..so lets hope flash gets it together

I still like Ginter as well.......the bullpen should be a strength of this team

jeremyb1
04-11-2003, 02:37 PM
i was going to start a thread along these lines. its my personal opinion that the manager shouldn't definitively set bullpen roles to start the season. obviously you should know who your closer is going into the season but as far as most other roles (unless you have a dominant setup man like dotel or rodriguez) it is a good idea to feel the pitchers out and see how they perform.

that said, i think glover should be pitching more often, especially in situations where the game is close. since gordon is struggling i see no real harm in making glover the right handed setup man for the time being. he's earned it.

TheBigHurt
04-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by gosox3072
Funny how flash seems to be the one who JM puts in during every key situation

Good old JERRY THE TINKERER

WHO'S that??????OHH is are you talking about Tinker-roo?

MHOUSE
04-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Flash has struggled but if he stays healthy he'll get it together I think. Glover should pitch in more key situations too. He should get in there before Flash. Maybe that's why Jerry put in Gordon with a 6 run lead? White is on the up and if Flash gets together we'll be solid. There's always Ginter a phone call away.

lowesox
04-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i was going to start a thread along these lines. its my personal opinion that the manager shouldn't definitively set bullpen roles to start the season. obviously you should know who your closer is going into the season but as far as most other roles (unless you have a dominant setup man like dotel or rodriguez) it is a good idea to feel the pitchers out and see how they perform.

that said, i think glover should be pitching more often, especially in situations where the game is close. since gordon is struggling i see no real harm in making glover the right handed setup man for the time being. he's earned it.

To me, MArte is the guy you're talking about. Lets not forget that the sox management put Foulke on the backburner for this guy practically all last year. He's good - and if there's one guy I trust (even moreso than Koch) it's Marte.

34 Inch Stick
04-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Jeremy, I agree with your point but the Sox have some obvious roles in that bullpen. You know going into the season what koch, marte and wunsch should be doing. That only leaves you three others.

I have said all along that until it is proven a bad combination Glover gets the 7th, Marte gets the 8th and Koch gets the 9th any time you need a reliever while winning after six (unless there is an obvious Wunsch situation).

Flash and White will have to do it in games that we are not ahead late in the game.

lowesox
04-12-2003, 06:02 PM
I think White has pitched well enough to be used in key situations.

baggio202
04-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
To me, MArte is the guy you're talking about. Lets not forget that the sox management put Foulke on the backburner for this guy practically all last year. He's good - and if there's one guy I trust (even moreso than Koch) it's Marte.

i agree with that...i like marte more than koch too....i wouldnt surprise me in the least if boston came calling soon to see if they could pry marte away from us to close in boston

MHOUSE
04-13-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
i wouldnt surprise me in the least if boston came calling soon to see if they could pry marte away from us to close in boston

They have a proven and reliable guy in Bob Howry. :D:

:gascan

SuperGrover
04-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Give Gordon some time. His control has been poor so far, but his stuff is still electric. This is very similar to what he did when he first came off the DL last season. However, he eventually got in the groove and pretty much dominated from then on out.

He had a nice outing last time. A couple of those in a row and he'll be fine.

Wunsch needs to work on his location also. 3 walks in 1 2/3 innings won't cut it. Granted it's very early.

The real questions are Garland, Lee and Thomas. So far we've got the worst possible performance from the three. If they pick it up at all we should be in fine shape, even after Loaiza comes back down to earth.

Hangar18
04-15-2003, 03:15 PM
"Flash" has been Horrible. White is very sloppy. Manuel should be slapped if he brings these two in with a 1 run lead or less.
These guys have accounted for 3 of our losses, if anyone is keeping track. Of course, I blame JM for setting them up for disaster in the first place.

czalgosz
04-15-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
"Flash" has been Horrible. White is very sloppy. Manuel should be slapped if he brings these two in with a 1 run lead or less.
These guys have accounted for 3 of our losses, if anyone is keeping track. Of course, I blame JM for setting them up for disaster in the first place.

I'm not worried about either of those guys. White seems to be settling down, and Gordon will come around - he looked good his last time out.

Garland is the guy I'm most worried about. As much as I like Esteban Loaiza, he can't be counted on to be anything more than a league-average starter down the line. Garland needs to be there for the Sox by the second-half.

Thomas, on the other hand, looks much better than he did last year. He's walking a lot, which means he's seeing the ball well. He'll come around.

hold2dibber
04-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by SuperGrover
The real questions are Garland, Lee and Thomas. So far we've got the worst possible performance from the three. If they pick it up at all we should be in fine shape, even after Loaiza comes back down to earth.

Frank hasn't been good, but he hasn't been horrible. He's laying off of pitches out of the strike zone and getting on base over 40% of the time. He hasn't hit much, or for power, but at least he's contributing in some way (which can't be said for Lee, Konerko or Rowand yet).

In any event, I'm sticking with my off-season analysis even now: the key to the Sox' season are the 3 and 4 starters and Jimenez.

thecell
04-15-2003, 04:04 PM
I think our entire pitching staff looks pretty good. Only 3 guys on the team have an ERA over 3.50...Stewart (4.91), Garland (9.0), and Gordon (9.64).

SuperGrover
04-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Frank hasn't been good, but he hasn't been horrible. He's laying off of pitches out of the strike zone and getting on base over 40% of the time. He hasn't hit much, or for power, but at least he's contributing in some way (which can't be said for Lee, Konerko or Rowand yet).

In any event, I'm sticking with my off-season analysis even now: the key to the Sox' season are the 3 and 4 starters and Jimenez.

Frank has been worse than he was last year, as he has hit with absolutely no power. His K rates have increased as well which does not bode all that well. It could be possible that he simply is a 0.260 hitter with good patience and mediocre power. Of course, that's as productive as Konerko's 0.300 with no patience and mediocre power, but I digress.

I have complete confidence in Jimenez. I think he will easily be one of the 5 best offensive second basemen in the AL (not that that says much for the AL, but it still holds true).

I do agree with the 3 and 4 starter observation. We simply need someone to be league average in the 3 hole and someone else to hold down the fort at #4. I fully expected Garland to progress on his second half, but he has went backward again. Wright is hurt and Rauch has supposedly lost some velocity (alhough he's been throwing well recently). Loaiza has been great but he'll revert back to his usual self in due time. It all looks pretty shaky to me.