PDA

View Full Version : 3 Catchers and Carlos 3

lowesox
04-10-2003, 05:48 PM
I've always thought the Sox had a keeper in Lee but this is a season where I think patience is a bad idea -- and while I don't think he should be benched right now, I think that he should be if this continues much longer.

I think the Sox need to lose Josh Paul and call up Willie Harris. This team desperately needs more speed. And in the past Lee has let threat of being benched ignite his game. So if we were to call up Harris we could play him in Centre for a few games and let Lee get nervous.

If he hasn't come around after 40 games, I think its time we start exploring a trade -- maybe for a true leadoff hitter. (SO that Jimenez can move to number 2 where he's better suited.)

hold2dibber
04-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I've always thought the Sox had a keeper in Lee but this is a season where I think patience is a bad idea -- and while I don't think he should be benched right now, I think that he should be if this continues much longer.

I think the Sox need to lose Josh Paul and call up Willie Harris. This team desperately needs more speed. And in the past Lee has let threat of being benched ignite his game. So if we were to call up Harris we could play him in Centre for a few games and let Lee get nervous.

If he hasn't come around after 40 games, I think its time we start exploring a trade -- maybe for a true leadoff hitter. (SO that Jimenez can move to number 2 where he's better suited.)

I'm not sure how playing Willie Harris in CF helps the situation. Why would Lee be nervous if Harris were in CF? If you think lost playing time will motivate Lee, Daubach is the obvious answer, not Harris. Playing Harris will just mean another gaping hole in the line-up. I would much rather have Jimenez hitting 1st than Harris - I feel confident Jimenez can put up a .350 OBP. I would be surprised if Harris could even muster a .300 OBP at this point in his career.

And if Lee doesn't come around in 40 games, his trade value will probably be pretty low.

lowesox
04-10-2003, 09:08 PM
I know very well that Carlos Lee is a better player than Willie Harris. But Willie Harris is hitting .313 down in Charlotte right now, and he provides one thing the White Sox are missing - speed. I'm not suggesting Harris should bat leadoff (maybe 9th?) More than anything I was trying to say that Harris would be more valuable to this team than Josh Paul and with Lee's struggles we're coming near a time where a change is in order.

Sure Daubach is a better hitter, but he doesn't add speed and there's no question that Harris would help out way more defensively. I'm not saying that this is a permanent fix. I'm talking about for a couple weeks.

I'm not a huge Willie Harris fan, but I think he could be a key puzzle piece as a pinch runner if this team makes the playoffs. And I'd like to see him getting more major league experience before that.

Also, while I agree that if Lee tanks early on his trade value will diminish, this is a player who was coveted by other GM's before the season started. So I think he'll still have value him based on his potential.