PDA

View Full Version : helluva first inning for Estes...

cheeses_h_rice
04-10-2003, 02:13 PM
MONTREAL 1ST
-Top of the 1st inning
-J Macias grounded out to third.
-J Vidro reached on bunt single to third.
-V Guerrero grounded into fielder's choice to shortstop, J Vidro safe at second on error by M Grudzielanek.
-W Cordero singled to right, J Vidro scored, V Guerrero to third, W Cordero to second advancing on throw.
-O Cabrera reached on infield single to third, V Guerrero scored, W Cordero to third, W Cordero scored, O Cabrera to third on throwing error by pitcher S Estes.
-F Tatis grounded into fielder's choice to pitcher, O Cabrera scored, F Tatis to second on throwing error by pitcher S Estes.
-M Barrett grounded out to shortstop, F Tatis to third.
-R Calloway struck out swinging.

WinningUgly!
04-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
MONTREAL 1ST
-Top of the 1st inning
-J Macias grounded out to third.
-J Vidro reached on bunt single to third.
-V Guerrero grounded into fielder's choice to shortstop, J Vidro safe at second on error by M Grudzielanek.
-W Cordero singled to right, J Vidro scored, V Guerrero to third, W Cordero to second advancing on throw.
-O Cabrera reached on infield single to third, V Guerrero scored, W Cordero to third, W Cordero scored, O Cabrera to third on throwing error by pitcher S Estes.
-F Tatis grounded into fielder's choice to pitcher, O Cabrera scored, F Tatis to second on throwing error by pitcher S Estes.
-M Barrett grounded out to shortstop, F Tatis to third.
-R Calloway struck out swinging.

Ah, nice to see Estes fitting right into that Cubbie tradition. :)

doublem23
04-10-2003, 02:21 PM
I guess he can't blame the defense for falling apart behind him, eh?

:cool: Ooo, I'm on a roll.

Vsahajpal
04-10-2003, 03:02 PM
It is decisions like starting Estes instead of Juan Cruz that will ensure the Cubs continue to perpetuate mediocrity.

czalgosz
04-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
It is decisions like starting Estes instead of Juan Cruz that will ensure the Cubs continue to perpetuate mediocrity.

Hey, according to Peter Gammons, Cruz is going to be the next Octavio Dotel.

I said before that giving Dusty Baker a team full of young talent wasn't necessarily a good idea...

cheeses_h_rice
04-10-2003, 03:26 PM

MONTREAL 7TH
-J Cruz relieved S Estes.
-Top of the 7th inning
-J Macias walked.
-J Vidro flied out to shallow center.
-V Guerrero homered to left, J Macias scored.
-W Cordero singled to left.

Things that make you go "hmmm......"

moochpuppy
04-10-2003, 03:40 PM
MONTREAL 7TH
-Top of the 7th inning
-J Macias walked.

Things that make me LMAO!! :D:

Vsahajpal
04-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Dusty's been great actually, I figured Karros would play regularly, but he hasn't , Choi and Corey have been starters all season long, getting the bulk of the AB.

Hendry should be blamed for bringing in Estes to start. Never understood the importance of having a lefty starter.

Cruz has been unhittable all year until today, cheeses. He dominated in spring, and came in to the ballgame having given up just 1 run in 5 IP with 0 BB and 9 K.

And anyways, Vlad the Impaler hits everyone.

TheBigHurt
04-10-2003, 03:55 PM
MONTREAL 7TH
-Top of the 7th inning
-J Macias walked.

WHERE'S Liefer :D: :?: ????????

cheeses_h_rice
04-10-2003, 04:16 PM

Cruz has been unhittable all year until today, cheeses. He dominated in spring, and came in to the ballgame having given up just 1 run in 5 IP with 0 BB and 9 K.

And anyways, Vlad the Impaler hits everyone.

I know. I just thought it was funny that 2 seconds after I read your post, I checked the score in the Expos game, and saw that Cruz was having a less than stellar inning.

Vsahajpal
04-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Gotcha.

As an aside, think Vasquez and Armas made much of an impression this week? Geezus. If I'm KW, I'm calling Minaya yesterday.

DrCrawdad
04-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Gotcha.

As an aside, think Vasquez and Armas made much of an impression this week? Geezus. If I'm KW, I'm calling Minaya yesterday.

I remember reading before Big Bart got traded that the pitcher who you'd really want was Vasquez, over Big Bart.

Regarding Estes, I was talking about him with a coworker. IIRC Estes got a 2 or 3 yr contract at around 3 million a year. If that is the case, the Cubs are overpaying him (see the Maddux/Glavine file for prime examples of overpaying).

If Estes has a couple more poor outings it will be interesting to see if they'll put Estes in the pen in favor of one of their crop of young (and less expensive) arms.

Vsahajpal
04-11-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I remember reading before Big Bart got traded that the pitcher who you'd really want was Vasquez, over Big Bart.

Regarding Estes, I was talking about him with a coworker. IIRC Estes got a 2 or 3 yr contract at around 3 million a year. If that is the case, the Cubs are overpaying him (see the Maddux/Glavine file for prime examples of overpaying).

If Estes has a couple more poor outings it will be interesting to see if they'll put Estes in the pen in favor of one of their crop of young (and less expensive) arms.

Shawn signed a 1 year deal for $3 MM. They definitely overpaid. But worse, the signing was completely unnecessary. It's tough when 1 out of every 5 is a guaranteed "L."