PDA

View Full Version : The media's Cub fawning is already making me sick

Viva Magglio
04-10-2003, 09:31 AM
The Cubs are 5-3, and I am already sensing that the media is fawning all over them. While I try to concentrate on what our team is doing and not be obsessed with what the North Siders are doing, I cannot help but notice and get sick at the local media acting like this Cub team is the Second Coming of Christ. This is how Cub success hurts us, no matter how good or bad we do.

If we were 8-0, do you think the media would be fawning all over us? No, I didn't think so.

MHOUSE
04-10-2003, 09:41 AM
We could be 162-0 and WGN would still run a story on a Prior win or a Shamee homer first. Just face it that the Cubs are loved by this town and many others. It's the life of a Sox fan.

Soxboyrob
04-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

If we were 8-0, do you think the media would be fawning all over us? No, I didn't think so.

Yes, I do. The "whoa is me" attitude here has no bounds.

thecell
04-10-2003, 10:08 AM
It's ridiculous. Whenever I want to hear Sox highlights on the news, I wait for the sportscaster to start the sentence with "briefly."

Bobby Thigpen
04-10-2003, 10:11 AM
At least you guys live in an area that at least pretends that the Sox exist. Living down here in the boonies, I might as well be an Expos fan for all the coverage the Sox get. Some papers around here don't even bother to put in the box scores half the time. It's all Cubs and Cardinals all the time.

Hangar18
04-10-2003, 10:26 AM
this is terrible. the Sox have to be BETTER than the Cubs just to get somewhat equal coverage. If they dont, cubs always get the attention.

offseason cub news
offseason sox news Cub media attention (went thru 12/02-3/03)

Cubs Lose
Sox Lose Cub media attention

Cubs win
sox win cub media attention

cubs win
sox lose lots of cub media attention (were in this phase now)

cub lose
sox win cub media attention

im sick of it already......sick and tired.

harwar
04-10-2003, 10:27 AM
You better get used to it,because i think the cubs are going to have a good year(over .500).I hate the cubs as much as the next guy,but i love baseball ans watch every game that i can(cubs included).I watched yesterdays' game and theres' no denying that prior is gonna be a great one.I wish we could have got that guy instead of Rauch,who will be,in my opinion,a good middle reliever someday.

gosox3072
04-11-2003, 12:00 AM
Who needs the media anyway, if we got all the attention it would go to our young players heads and they would play bad...
Lets see who they are covering in october!!!

leftbehindbuck
04-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Hey guys,

I am sorry that the Sox don't get the attention they deserve. However can you blame the media for it? The Tribune owns the Cubs and they very rarely are going to give the Sox (their competitors) in this market a fair shot. Same with WGN which as I recall stands for Worlds Greatest Newspaper and is also owned by the Trib (could be wrong on WGN being owned by the Trib, but I think I am right). That would be like Burger King putting up adds saying go to McDonalds instead of to us....the reason you guys don't get the attention is not b/c of the love people have, but b/c one of the big media informants is the company that owns the Cubs....it is smart bussisness...I would not promote my competition if the situation was revearsed and I am guessing you wouldn't either....Just keep that in mind it is strictly business...if the situation were revearse the Sox would get teh attention....
Buck :gulp:

T Dog
04-11-2003, 02:49 AM
From what I see in the local media, Sammy Sosa is off to a great start with 500 home runs already this season, and nobody bothered to sit through for the Sox opener.

MikeKreevich
04-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
At least you guys live in an area that at least pretends that the Sox exist. Living down here in the boonies, I might as well be an Expos fan for all the coverage the Sox get. Some papers around here don't even bother to put in the box scores half the time. It's all Cubs and Cardinals all the time.
I feel for you B.T., there is no effective sox radio broadcast anywhere more than 100 miles south of Chicago. People wonder why the Sox don't draw more fans. Rob Gallas has not done enough to get his product to people within bus distance of Chicago. I was in southwestern Illinois, 250 miles away, on opening day about four years ago. I couldn't hear the game on radio, so I watched the 10 o'clock news to get the score. Opening day and the sportscaster showed the Cubs and Cardinals highlights and didn't even give the sox score. Man, was I hot.

oldcomiskey
04-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by leftbehindbuck
Same with WGN which as I recall stands for Worlds Greatest
Newspaper[/B]

I heard it stood for Wrigley Gum Netwok --or Worlds Goofiest Nazis--I dont remember which

alohafri
04-11-2003, 10:56 PM
From Mrs. Aloha:

It's hard to garner a fan base when you can't see or hear the Sox on the radio or TV...growing up in the Quad Cities, I didn't even know the Sox existed....everyone was either a scrub fan or Cardinal fan....and no TV station or radio station carried the Sox games. But luckily, I went to NIU and then ended up in the Chicago area and realized that Chicago did indeed have another baseball team. And I'm now ashamed to have ever rooted for the NS losers...but thank God I saw the light years ago and have been a proud Sox fan ever since.
-------------------

At least as of tonite, the Sox have a better record than the scrubs...let's hope it stays that way!!!

kevingrt
04-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Hey as long as we win, ALL IS GOOD!

By the way the Herald seems to be pretty fair so far in my mind!