PDA

View Full Version : Garland quote

MHOUSE
04-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Jon Garland was quoted in the Tribune as saying "It's better to be lucky than good." It went on to say that he was neither in his start yesterday.

Is this the kind of attitude we want our young pitcher to have? Not to worry about improvement, but just go out and throw stuff up there and hope for the best. That seems to be how he has been pitching.

I don't know if it was taken out of context or what the deal is but that's not a good sign from him I think. :angry:

Iwritecode
04-10-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Jon Garland was quoted in the Tribune as saying "It's better to be lucky than good." It went on to say that he was neither in his start yesterday.

Is this the kind of attitude we want our young pitcher to have? Not to worry about improvement, but just go out and throw stuff up there and hope for the best. That seems to be how he has been pitching.

I don't know if it was taken out of context or what the deal is but that's not a good sign from him I think. :angry:

Once agian the Cubune half-asses it and makes everything seem worse than it is.

The entire quote from the Sox website is: "There were some broken bats in that first inning, and Vizquel threw his bat at the ball and got a hit. "They always say itís better to be lucky than good, and I just had some bad luck."

Basically he's saying that he gave up a few broken bat singles and a few duck snorts. There's really not a lot he can do about that. Sometimes hitters get lucky...

doublem23
04-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Garland hasn't looked particularly BAD yet. In his first outing, the defense just crumbled around him. Yesterday, just a lot of little crap shots found holes. Now, I'm not saying he's looked all that good yet, but he's not getting rockets drilled off him. Give him a couple more starts before we all jump off the Jonny bandwagon.

MHOUSE
04-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Ok I guess the trib did misquote him then. Thanks for the true quote. When I read it it sounded really bad like he didn't care.

jeremyb1
04-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE

after a start like yesterday i'd rather have him view it as bad luck than bad pitching which might hurt his confidence. i don't feel like his approach is terrible so i wouldn't want him to blame himself too much or he might get on the wrong track. he's thrown well at points i think he's fine. i don't think like he should be questioning himself after two starts.

Mammoo
04-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Jon Garland spelled backwards is "Chris Knapp".