PDA

View Full Version : It's time to bench Carlos Lee


Viva Magglio
04-09-2003, 09:39 PM
After tonight's wonderful performance, the time has come to bench Carlos Lee. At least for the time being, I think Armando Rios should start in left field. Lee is now batting a putrid .077 (2 for 22) with 11 strikeouts. He is dead weight in the lineup.

baggio202
04-09-2003, 09:45 PM
i cant believe that dipstick manuel let lee bat in the 8th being the tieing run...it was so much more important to have rios and daubach bat in the 9th with no one on base ...to much ganja again for manuel before the game

LuvSox
04-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Why couldn't Rios hit for him in the 8th against a rightie with a runner in scoring position? I think I know the answer already. :jerry

joecrede
04-09-2003, 09:47 PM
No problem sitting Lee tomorrow, but if Konerko, Ordonez and Thomas aren't hitting it won't make any difference.

jeremyb1
04-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
No problem sitting Lee tomorrow, but if Konerko, Ordonez and Thomas aren't hitting it won't make any difference.

yeah, why do we have to bench lee but not konerko or maggs? they're hitting better but not that much better. you have to realize we're talking about 8 out of 162 games here. that's just not how things work.

Viva Magglio
04-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
yeah, why do we have to bench lee but not konerko or maggs? they're hitting better but not that much better. you have to realize we're talking about 8 out of 162 games here. that's just not how things work.

Those guys are begging to hit, especially Maggs. Lee is still doing nothing but crap.

whitesoxwilkes
04-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
yeah, why do we have to bench lee but not konerko or maggs? they're hitting better but not that much better. you have to realize we're talking about 8 out of 162 games here. that's just not how things work.

Konerko is trying to hit and has at least taken a couple walks. Lee seems to be regressing to the El Caballo of old, blindly swinging away with no discipline.

WhiteSoxWinner
04-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
yeah, why do we have to bench lee but not konerko or maggs? they're hitting better but not that much better.

Two things. First, Konerko and Mags are prven veterans. They will work out their problems. Carlos had one good year (last year) where he put it all together, but he looks like he regressed. We can only support so many guys doing nothing in our line up, so if I had to choose who to sit between Mags, Paully, Frank or Carlos, I'd sit Carlos in a heartbeat.

The other thing is, it may only be 8 games, but a) these are games against what are supposed to be clearly inferior teams and we are not lighting them up like a contender is supposed to, and b) wins in April count just as much as wins in August and September. A lost opportunity due to poor hitting is just as lost in April as it is in August and September.

I'm not saying it has to be a long term benching, but seeing Rios or Daubach for a game or two would keep them sharp and let us see what they can do.

Lip Man 1
04-10-2003, 12:03 AM
4-4 against the "scum of the earth" isn't exactly an inspiring start is it?

Lip

MHOUSE
04-10-2003, 12:19 AM
I think Carlos should be given benefit of the doubt for a few more games. I mean he did well last year and if he clicks then we'll all be overjoyed. But If he doesn't produce soon and keeps striking out then I would be in agreeance with all the ideas on this thread. At least PK takes some walks and he hit well today. That homer was beastly. Maggs will come around and he is proven. Thomas looks better this year and he'll come around. PK, Maggs, Frank will all be ok.

NewyorkSoxFan
04-10-2003, 09:08 AM
I agree that it is time to give him a day off, but I don't think he's regressing. I think he is just pressing. He has read all the stuff about having a breakout year, so he is probably putting alot of pressure on himself.

However I do think that some extra BP and a day off, and maybe even watching some video of last year might help him regain some confidence. But everyone has to relax, this team is gonna be ok.


NYSF

balz1472
04-10-2003, 11:10 AM
We all must be reminded of the "Tinkerer Effect", until Carlos starts to hit, he will not sit. Sounds logical to me, just the same way I would run a team :angry: .

gosox41
04-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Two things. First, Konerko and Mags are prven veterans. They will work out their problems. Carlos had one good year (last year) where he put it all together, but he looks like he regressed. We can only support so many guys doing nothing in our line up, so if I had to choose who to sit between Mags, Paully, Frank or Carlos, I'd sit Carlos in a heartbeat.

The other thing is, it may only be 8 games, but a) these are games against what are supposed to be clearly inferior teams and we are not lighting them up like a contender is supposed to, and b) wins in April count just as much as wins in August and September. A lost opportunity due to poor hitting is just as lost in April as it is in August and September.

I'm not saying it has to be a long term benching, but seeing Rios or Daubach for a game or two would keep them sharp and let us see what they can do.



Looks like the traditional Sox slump came early this year. There should be a pool every season of when the Sox offense is going to go to crap and for how long.

Bob

maurice
04-10-2003, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure why some around here always give Konerko a free pass but not Lee. They're pretty comparable players. Konerko is only slightly more "proven" than Lee, who (reportedly) is slightly younger:

Konerko's careeer totals: 681 Games, 351 Runs, 413 RBI, 112 HR, .828 OPS

Lee's career totals: 577 Games, 332 Runs, 340 RBI, 90 HR, .803 OPS

They both turn(ed) 27 this season, and their career numbers have been pretty consistent, so it's unlikely that either will have a sharp dropoff this season. (An incremental improvement is more likely.) They're both about average defensively at relatively insignificant defensive positions.

The only significant difference I can discern between the two is that CLee is from Panama, while Konerko is from Rhode Island (and thus better relates with the English-speaking media).

voodoochile
04-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
4-4 against the "scum of the earth" isn't exactly an inspiring start is it?

Lip


Well, KC has been hotter than scotch bonnet pepper sauce and winning in Cleveland is always a struggle because of the rivalry between the two teams.

I'm not upset at all by this start. Yeah, it would be nice to be 8-0, 6-2, etc., but the Sox have been focused and putting out the effort. That will lead to more wins in the future.