PDA

View Full Version : The Kansas City Theory

pudge
04-09-2003, 01:11 PM
With the Royals now up 6-0 on the lowly Tigers and posied to start this season 7-0, let's just assume for one wild moment that KC will actually be in this race for the long-haul. In this hypothetical, I'm not suggesting they win the division, but hang close, maybe playing .500 ball or slightly better. What does this do to the division and the Sox in specific? Is it better for the Sox to have another team shake it up, potentially handing the Twins more losses than expected, or would the Sox rather be in a two-team battle? Would it kill the chance for a Central team to win the Wild Card? In short, do we want KC to start losing, or do we want them to hang in there?

cheeses_h_rice
04-09-2003, 01:14 PM
KC won't last. They may be a .500+ team but they will come back down to earth.

lowesox
04-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Young pitching is usually inconsistent. They'll have a good stretch here or there but chances are 3 or 4 of their current rotation will end up in the minors by the end of the year.

WinningUgly!
04-09-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

I know I'm really looking forward to April 15, 16 & 17.

CHISOXFAN13
04-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Remember when the unbeaten Tribe came to town last year??? We kicked their tails all over the Cell and they finished 74-88. I think we'll do the same to the Royals next week.

BKozi
04-09-2003, 02:07 PM
I do think that KC caught us off guard and beating up on the Tigers (who may be the worst team in baseball in the last 20 years) is not a big deal so I don't think they are as good as they are playing right now.

With that said, they are also not as bad as they were supposed to be. I think it's a bad thing for them to hang around. They're not going to win the division, but as they showed the Sox in the first 3 games, they can do a lot to hurt the chances of others. When that 4 game set in KC comes around at the end of September, I'd be a lot happier knowing that we're going to win 3 out of 4 then hoping for at least a split.

TheBigHurt
04-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I know I'm really looking forward to April 15, 16 & 17.
AS a sox fan i must admit i am acully scared :o: :(:

BE GOOD

LuvSox
04-09-2003, 02:09 PM
A two team race sounds better. Let the Sox take out Min. face to face, OK Corral style, proving who is better. It doesn't look like KC has any depth anyway. If KC insists on hanging around we can give them a "Gamboa". TOTALLY KIDDING, I KNOW THAT WAS LOW!

czalgosz
04-09-2003, 02:09 PM
I've slightly upgraded my opinion of the Royals - emphasis on the word 'slightly'. I think a best-case scenario for them would be to beat out the Indians for third place, but still finish 12 games back.

CHISOXFAN13
04-09-2003, 02:11 PM
I have to disagree with the depth question of KC. Their second best player is on the DL, and they have two stud pitchers in AAA waiting for the call.

Maybe the Sox will be battling KC instead of the Twins. Minnesota hasn't shown me anything.

TheBigHurt
04-09-2003, 02:16 PM
I am not scared about losing.....BUT i am worried (mentally) about what will happen to us fans and the Sox if, we lose the series vs KC.......I hope it makes sense :)

BE GOOD

CHISOXFAN13
04-09-2003, 02:18 PM
While bantering back-and-forth, the Tiggers have cut the lead from 9-1 to 9-6 in the seventh.

TheBigHurt
04-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
While bantering back-and-forth, the Tiggers have cut the lead from 9-1 to 9-6 in the seventh.

WELL maybe they'll fire him next week, instead of this week!!!!!! :)

BKozi
04-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Wow, Detroit just doubled their run total for the season!

bc2k
04-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by pudge
With the Royals now up 6-0 on the lowly Tigers and posied to start this season 7-0, let's just assume for one wild moment that KC will actually be in this race for the long-haul. In this hypothetical, I'm not suggesting they win the division, but hang close, maybe playing .500 ball or slightly better. What does this do to the division and the Sox in specific? Is it better for the Sox to have another team shake it up, potentially handing the Twins more losses than expected, or would the Sox rather be in a two-team battle? Would it kill the chance for a Central team to win the Wild Card? In short, do we want KC to start losing, or do we want them to hang in there?

Great questions pudge. I don't know the answers but I'll hypothesize anyway.

We have stated that getting off to a fast start would be best for us since Minny just coasted in the second half last year. If we're playing mediocre again, it would be nice to have a good KC to put pressure on the fragile arms of Minnesota. If we're playing up to our expectations, it won't matter how well KC or Minny is playing.

Hopefully KC - also a carpet team - can get some wins in the Metrodome. That's Minny's biggest advantage (IMO) so if KC can win there, it would heighten our odds a little bit.

I could care less about the wild card. I hate Minny and want to finish the season as the division champs.

TheBigHurt
04-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

I could care less about the wild card. I hate Minny and want to finish the season as the division champs.

YEAH, bc2k but unfortunately you may (i doubt it) have to settle for it

WinningUgly!
04-09-2003, 02:45 PM

Hopefully KC - also a carpet team - can get some wins in the Metrodome. That's Minny's biggest advantage (IMO) so if KC can win there, it would heighten our odds a little bit.

A grass playing field replaced the artificial surface at Kauffman Stadium prior to the 1995 season.

Foulke You
04-09-2003, 02:48 PM
I think we'll know if KC is for real after about another month or so. 6 or 7 games just isn't enough to tell if they are that much improved from last year. Chisoxfan13 brought up a good comparison to last year's Indians squad that came in 11-1 and had baseball prognosticators scratching their heads wondering if the Indians were a legitimate contender. The Sox promptly swept them and the Indians never recovered. I tend to think that KC will fall back to Earth like last year's Indians did. Of course, you never know. I remember how many people waited for our Sox to fall apart in 2000 and it never happened but I don't think this KC team has the talent or depth that our 2000 Sox team had.

czalgosz
04-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
A grass playing field replaced the artificial surface at Kauffman Stadium prior to the 1995 season.

I believe the only turf stadia left in MLB are the Metrodome, Skydome, and the Trop in St. Pete.

doublem23
04-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
YEAH, bc2k but unfortunately you may (i doubt it) have to settle for it

There's no way in hell the Wild Card comes out of the Central... Division champs or watching October baseball at home (or in the golf clubhouse).

doublem23
04-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I believe the only turf stadia left in MLB are the Metrodome, Skydome, and the Trop in St. Pete.

Don't they have a crappy carpet in Philly, too?

doublem23
04-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Personally, I think the Royals can best hope to be the repeat of the 2001 Twins... Contend for the first half of the season and then fall apart in the 2nd half...

I would watch out for them in the next few years, though. They've got a lot of good, young talent. Throw in Cleveland's youth and the much-heralded Twinkie babies and this division is going to be highly competitive in 2-3 years. The Sox had better keep up or they'll find themselves closer to the cellar instead of the top.

Jerry_Manuel
04-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Don't they have a crappy carpet in Philly, too?

Kinda.

Philly and Tampa Bay both have nexturf. Or that's what I've always heard it called.

MarkEdward
04-09-2003, 03:22 PM
I hope Kansas City is at least somewhat successful this season. Baseball fans in KC are great, and they deserve a winning team. Also, a three team race for the division crown would be very exciting to watch come August and September.

That being said, I still want the Sox to win the division.

jeremyb1
04-09-2003, 03:32 PM
remember when the tribe started out 10-1 or whatever last year? exactly.

pudge
04-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
There's no way in hell the Wild Card comes out of the Central... Division champs or watching October baseball at home (or in the golf clubhouse).

Why do you say that, when the Central gets to play so many chump teams?

czalgosz
04-09-2003, 03:49 PM
<i>There's no way in hell the Wild Card comes out of the Central... Division champs or watching October baseball at home (or in the golf clubhouse).</i>

Even setting aside the generally weaker schedule AL central teams play, I don't see that the Red Sox, Angels, or Mariners are necessarily tremendously better than the White Sox and Twins.

All three have real weaknesses. I honestly think the A's will run away with the west this year, while the Mariners and Angels will struggle to stay above .500, while the Red Sox are, well, the Red Sox. No other team in either the East or the West has a reasonable playoff chance, so I'd say there's a very good possibility that the second-place team in the AL central could make the playoffs.

A.T. Money
04-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Tampa has that turf with a standard dirt infield. I like.

RKMeibalane
04-09-2003, 03:58 PM

KC hasn't played on artificial turf since 1994. They switched to grass in '95.

BKozi
04-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Tampa has that turf with a standard dirt infield. I like.

Astro-turf and indoor baseball are crimes against humanity! Baseball was meant to be played in the open air and on some form of grass. Here in Nebraska, the 'Huskers used to play with an astro-turf infield and grass outfield. It was hideous!

kermittheefrog
04-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Hmmmm... I prefer the Julianna Theory.

longshot7
04-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Hmmmm... I prefer the Julianna Theory.

Not quite sure what that means....

but to respond to the previous post... they have baseball in nebraska?

34 Inch Stick
04-09-2003, 05:16 PM
The Twins played under .500 baseball against teams other than the AL Central last year. Their season was made by feeding on the weaklings of this division (including the Sox). The same was not the case for the Sox. It would stand to reason then that a stronger AL Central would result in a greater amount of losses for the Twins than the Sox. That is why I am all for the Royals making a long run at this.

ode to veeck
04-09-2003, 05:38 PM
KC is up because they all work in the freezers in the KC meat packing biz in the off-season , which is why they won their first few games in the blizzard start of a season so far ... on the other hand the giants won seven to start the season, but playing the likes of Bud's "Lay Down Crew" makes ther start more predictable