PDA

View Full Version : Oakland's Big FOUR?

WinningUgly!
04-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Just what they need. (http://espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/2003/0409/1536256.html) :o:

MarkEdward
04-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Just what they need. (http://espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/2003/0409/1536256.html) :o:

Don't forget about Aaron Harang, too.

Ah, to have Billy Beane as your GM...

jeremyb1
04-09-2003, 03:33 PM
don't forget about ted lilly. you could argue they have a big four right now.

czalgosz
04-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Don't forget about Aaron Harang, too.

Ah, to have Billy Beane as your GM...

Ted Lilly's not shabby, either. John Halama I'm not excited about, but he pitched well against the Angels on Saturday. The A's could also move Hiljus back into the rotation and not miss much, and Ed Yarnall's a good prospect as well.

They have to think in terms of depth, because chances are that at least one and probably two of the "big three" will be gone once they reach FA eligibility.

kermittheefrog
04-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Ted Lilly's not shabby, either. John Halama I'm not excited about, but he pitched well against the Angels on Saturday. The A's could also move Hiljus back into the rotation and not miss much, and Ed Yarnall's a good prospect as well.

They have to think in terms of depth, because chances are that at least one and probably two of the "big three" will be gone once they reach FA eligibility.

Or the A's could win a World Series or two and have the revenue to build and keep a dynasty.

RichH55
04-09-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Or the A's could win a World Series or two and have the revenue to build and keep a dynasty.

Does winning the World Series generate that much extra income? I mean they have been a playoff team for a number of years now, so while winning more is always nice, how many more bandwagoners are out there? That market will never be NY, and they will continue to lose their share of Tejadas and Giambis...the key will always be management there, revenue streams are wishful thinking

czalgosz
04-09-2003, 04:43 PM

As much as I'd like to believe that, I don't think it's true.

I live in the Bay Area, and there's just not a lot of support for the A's. I don't know if even a championship would be able to significantly increase their revenue, enough to pay the extremely high salaries those guys are going to demand. Maybe after Bonds retires.

kermittheefrog
04-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Does winning the World Series generate that much extra income? I mean they have been a playoff team for a number of years now, so while winning more is always nice, how many more bandwagoners are out there? That market will never be NY, and they will continue to lose their share of Tejadas and Giambis...the key will always be management there, revenue streams are wishful thinking

Of course it does. It gets you national TV attention in the Series plus lots of merchandise. Your best players become house hold names. Plus you get extra sold out home games where the ticket prices are 3 or 4 times the regular season. You also sell more tickets and more season tickets the next year because of the new interest generated in the franchise.

Kroozah
04-10-2003, 01:25 AM
With consecutive playoff apperances with the A's, there is still a lack of fan support, sure you get 40,000 on opening day but you get a average crowd of 16,000 a night, 20 to 30 for when they played the Angels. Also don't forget the weather isn't as bad here on the west coast. The thing is that Beane gets the young talent and grooms them.

Meanwhile the Giants have only been on TV here in the bay two or three times this year. I don't know what is up with that and they are the NL Champs... they also sell out most every game all year long, and this is still after 4 years after the new stadium..

RichH55
04-10-2003, 03:54 AM
Of course it does. It gets you national TV attention in the Series plus lots of merchandise. Your best players become house hold names. Plus you get extra sold out home games where the ticket prices are 3 or 4 times the regular season. You also sell more tickets and more season tickets the next year because of the new interest generated in the franchise.

Well that might be true for a team like the White Sox.....Oakland has made the playoffs the last few years......I dont understand how winning a World Series is so much of a boost over seemingly making the playoffs every year.....the playoffs arent easy to make....Oakland area fans should know they have a good product by now....the revenue stream just doesnt seem to be there