PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday In MLB...

Kilroy
04-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Games were played in some ridiculous conditions for fans and players alike.

Sox played at Cleveland w/ a 22 degree wind chill temp at game time. Expos played at Cubs were temps were in the high 20's low 30's at best. Twins played at Yanks where it was in the 30s, the O's hosted the D-Rays where it was in the 30's, and the Brewers played at Pittsburgh where it was in the upper 30's low 40's at best.

4 of those 10 teams have domes that went unused.

Elsewhere, the A's were at Texas, the Dodgers were at AZ, and SD was in SF. Also, the M's were at Anaheim. 7 of those 8 cities had temps above 65, while the M's have a dome that wasn't used.

Hello?!?!?! Someone had better start looking into at least TRYING to make the early season games more comfortable. Players don't wanna play in that kinda weather, and fans definitely don't wanna go sit in it. If there's an effort made, and the weather doesn't cooperate, that's one thing.

But looking at the schedule from yesterday, there isn't even a thought given to what kind of weather some of these cities are likely to have in April.

thecell
04-09-2003, 10:31 AM
You never know what the weather will be in April. It was in the 70's and even hit 80 last week. Nobody would be complaining if the games were played then. As far as the players are concerned, they are getting paid to play and should play in the cold weather. It can get pretty cold in October and I don't hear the players complaining then.

Iwritecode
04-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by thecell
You never know what the weather will be in April. It was in the 70's and even hit 80 last week. Nobody would be complaining if the games were played then. As far as the players are concerned, they are getting paid to play and should play in the cold weather. It can get pretty cold in October and I don't hear the players complaining then.

People don't seem to have a problem watching football in a blizzard in the middle of Dec or Jan either...

Bucktown
04-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by thecell
I have a pretty good idea what the Weather is going to be in Atlanta, Anaheim, and Milwaukee. I agree with the poster. Baseball should not come North (except domed fields) until May.

WinningUgly!
04-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I have a pretty good idea what the Weather is going to be in Atlanta, Anaheim, and Milwaukee. I agree with the poster. Baseball should not come North (except domed fields) until May.

A month long road trip? To start out the season? That could put quite a few teams in a deep hole right off the bat.

Bucktown
04-09-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
A month long road trip? To start out the season? That could put quite a few teams in a deep hole right off the bat. Better yet, bring back the double-header and start the season later. The season has become elongated because of the player unions refusal to play double headers. Easpecially day-night double headers.

Kilroy
04-09-2003, 02:09 PM
All I'm saying is that no thought was given to the possibilities of poor weather in the places where they are most likely to have it. At least an effort could be made. Teams w/ domes and less harsh climate should be home for the most part hosting teams where cold temps could be a problem. Not for a whole month, but more often than not.

Sure, football is played in blizzards and sub-zero temps. but there's a lot less standing around in football, and a lot less games. One sunday seems reasonable compared to a weeks worth of games.

They make the effort to plan an off day after most home openers just in case there's bad weather to get them in, why not do the same w/ regard to climate?