PDA

View Full Version : Olivo

Iguana775
04-09-2003, 08:39 AM
anyone hear Gammons last nite say that Olivo will be a pretty good player? I was kind of surprised that he had something nice to say about a White Sox player.

TheBigHurt
04-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
anyone hear Gammons last nite say that Olivo will be a pretty good player? I was kind of surprised that he had something nice to say about a White Sox player.

WOW, when did he say that after this: :sweep of Det????

BE GOOD

whitesoxwilkes
04-09-2003, 10:18 AM

:boston

"He reminds me of a young Tony Pena"...he said it on Baseball Tonight last night

thecell
04-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
:boston

"He reminds me of a young Tony Pena"...he said it on Baseball Tonight last night

I'm surprised he didn't add "of my beloved Red Sox who will win the next 8 World Series to make for a string of bad luck"

Juan Pizarro
04-09-2003, 10:39 AM
The home opener was my first chance to see him in person.
What a gun!
I forget which Tiger was running, but the guy had a pretty good jump. Olivo unleashed a laser beam to nail him. Haven't seen that around here since early Karko.

StepsInSC
04-09-2003, 12:18 PM
I saw it right at the end of the 6 second coverage of the White Sox...

On the same show they mentioned Foulke and how great a closer he was, and how he had been so great since 2000. . I'm not arguing that he's a good closer. They just act like anything that happens on this ballclub is moot, that it never happened or something.

RichH55
04-09-2003, 01:45 PM
I know the board hates to do this....but how about some props for KW on this? Bradford is a nice player no doubt, but our bullpen looks pretty solid to me without him and Olivo is a really nice pickup.....Tony Pena? Sounds good to me

Iguana775
04-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I know the board hates to do this....but how about some props for KW on this? Bradford is a nice player no doubt, but our bullpen looks pretty solid to me without him and Olivo is a really nice pickup.....Tony Pena? Sounds good to me

you're right. it was a good move. but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. :)

czalgosz
04-09-2003, 02:51 PM
you're right. it was a good move. but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. :)

Hey, and it was a trade with Billy Beane, no less!

I actually compiled a list of every trade made by KW since he started as Sox GM... I was surprised to see how many really good trades he made. They've been overshadowed by some terrible ones, but the really encouraging thing seems to be that most of his better trades have happened over the past year - like he's learning from his early mistakes.

RichH55
04-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

I actually compiled a list of every trade made by KW since he started as Sox GM... I was surprised to see how many really good trades he made. They've been overshadowed by some terrible ones, but the really encouraging thing seems to be that most of his better trades have happened over the past year - like he's learning from his early mistakes.

And even the bad deals were more of the sort that he got the wrong guy rather than gave up the wrong guy

RichH55
04-09-2003, 03:57 PM
And even the bad deals were more of the sort that he got the wrong guy rather than gave up the wrong guy

I actually think the most encouraging thing about KW's learning curve is not just that his trades have been getting better, but that he is willing to essentially admit his own mistakes. Wells(arguable on the whole, but certainly not what we envisioned), Royce(ouch), and Ritchie(ouch)...all bombed, but are all gone.

Especially for Ritchie's dead weight to be cut, its encouraging. Admitting your own mistakes and taking steps to rectify them are some of the hardest qualities to find in management anywhere

Iguana775
04-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

yea, i agree. they have been getting better. maybe the blind squirrel got his eyes fixed.

RichH55
04-09-2003, 05:34 PM
yea, i agree. they have been getting better. maybe the blind squirrel got his eyes fixed.

Thats precaurious close to a compliment...better watch yourself or you will break your streak

Iguana775
04-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Thats precaurious close to a compliment...better watch yourself or you will break your streak

crap!! We don't want that, now do we? lol. :gulp: