PDA

View Full Version : Cubs' fans boo Canada, lol

StepsInSC
04-08-2003, 09:41 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=36895

Prior to the game, some of the 29,138 fans at Wrigley Field booed as Wayne Messmer sang O Canada.
The move came almost three weeks after some fans at a Montreal Canadiens game booed the American anthem, prompting a rebuke from political leaders.

Quality quotes by our pal Jeff Liefer

`That's what's great about this country. It's free and you can do whatever you want. That's what they did.''

PaleHoseGeorge
04-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Well, well, well...

... I can't wait to read tomorrow's Cubune to find out how this bit of embarrassment gets spun by their "objective" scribes and editors.

:knue
"It will be wall-to-wall Cubbie coverage! Meanwhile on page 15, there will be a single sentence paragraph noting a handful of Cubs fans might have booed, barely audible, and clearly didn't reflect the viewpoints of the vast majority of drunk... umm... err... I mean LOYAL Cubs fans!"

jortafan
04-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Well, well, well...

... I can't wait to read tomorrow's Cubune to find out how this bit of embarrassment gets spun by their "objective" scribes and editors.

:knue
"It will be wall-to-wall Cubbie coverage! Meanwhile on page 15, there will be a single sentence paragraph noting a handful of Cubs fans might have booed, barely audible, and clearly didn't reflect the viewpoints of the vast majority of drunk... umm... err... I mean LOYAL Cubs fans!"

Maybe they'll say the same Sox fans who defaced the ivy on the Wrigley walls also sabotaged the crowd and led the boos.

Seriously, I'm just hoping we show more class when the Blue Jays come to town in May.

ihatethecubs
04-08-2003, 10:12 PM
jesus christ cub fans are so retarded. quebec wants to be part of france or its own country cuz everyone there is so damn french and they dont like the rest of canada. i dont even need to explain this... the point is that it is so different for people in montreal to boo during our anthem than it is for people in the U.S. to boo canada's anthem. even at that anyone who does it on either side is pretty retarded. it is sooo stupid, im not suprised in the least that cub fans did it.

LuvSox
04-08-2003, 10:15 PM
The negativity makes sense because so many of the Expos players are native Canadians. F-ing retarded Cub fans.

ihatethecubs
04-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
The negativity makes sense because so many of the Expos players are actually natives of Canada. F-ing retarded Cub fans.

then perhaps the genius cub fans were trying to send a message to the expos fans watching at home. oh wait, there arent any expos fans... and oh yeah, they dont have games on TV.

WhiteSoxWinner
04-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
The negativity makes sense because so many of the Expos players are actually natives of Canada. F-ing retarded Cub fans.

Needed the teal there. I thought you were serious for a minute, LOL!!

DrCrawdad
04-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Just read Sullivan's recap of the game and quickly scanned Rick Morrisey's love of Wrigley fans article. No mention in either of the Cub fans booing the Canadian National Anthem. No mention of it during Channel 7's sportcast either.

Rick Morrisey says that 17,000 were at the Cub game. Even that though is spun in a positive light, 'only the best fans in the world show up...' Quite different from Greenstein's snipe, 'announced attendance 40,000 but how many are really here' about the Sox opener.

moochpuppy
04-09-2003, 09:04 AM
Classy. They do realize that this is the Canadian anthem and not the French anthem, right?

kevingrt
04-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Classy. They do realize that this is the Canadian anthem and not the French anthem, right?

I think your right on that assessment!