PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Opener Attendance

DrCrawdad
04-08-2003, 08:08 PM
The White Sox, and fans, were roundly mocked for not selling out the home-opener and for so many no-shows of the 40,000 who did buy tickets.

Today turned out to be Cubs opener. From what I heard the announced attendance was 29,000 well short of a sell-out. I saw a bit of the start of the game and no way was there anywhere close to 29K there.

So all the yappers, (Mike North, Doug Buffoon, Harry Tinymember, John Jerknowitz, callers to these shows, posters on MLB sites and Cubbie trolls reading this) what do you have to say about the “pathetic attendance” for the Cubbie home-opener?

Will Teddy Greenstein take a shot at Cubbie fans?

czalgosz
04-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Sox opener - 40, 395
Cubs opener - 29,138

Neither game had close to that many in the stands, but Cub fans didn't sit through a long rain delay, either.

DrCrawdad
04-08-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Sox opener - 40, 395
Cubs opener - 29,138

Neither game had close to that many in the stands, but Cub fans didn't sit through a long rain delay, either.

And hey I don't blame anyone for choosing not to go to the Cubs or Sox openers. My point is though that the Sox and we Sox fans sure were the target of a bunch of crap from the local Sports Radio Reactionaries and from quite a few Cub fans about the Sox opener attendance. In the end the Cubs did no better than the Sox. In fact I believe you could say that the Sox did better. The Sox were 6K short of a sell-out. The Cubs were about 10K short of a sell-out.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-08-2003, 09:20 PM
:ass
"you are all quick to forget the cubs home opener was one day after one of the absolute worst blizzards ever. just ask tom skilling. "

SouthSideHitman
04-08-2003, 09:23 PM
As one of the crazy frostbitten few who sat through the whole Sox opener, there sure seemed like a lot more people their than cubs fans today from what I could tell from tv. I guess maybe cubs fans are more self interested than stupidly loyal if they'd ALL rather stay home than take a little cold for the team.

DrCrawdad
04-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
:ass
"you are all quick to forget the cubs home opener was one day after one of the absolute worst blizzards ever. just ask tom skilling. "

Yes it snowed, yesterday.

It was cold today, true.

The Sox home opener was probably every bit as cold AND there was thunder & lightening and it rained. Plus the Sox opener was delayed for 2 hours. The weather was so bad on the day of the Sox opener that I thought they would not play.

Lip Man 1
04-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Call or e mail them and let them know that.

Lip

ihatethecubs
04-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Sox opener - 40, 395
Cubs opener - 29,138

so what those numbers tell me is that if the sox played in wrigley or if the cell had the same capacity as wrigley, it wouldve been a sell out.

A.T. Money
04-09-2003, 02:05 AM
Yeah, this needs to be addressed in the media.

Does anyone think we have a chance of competing with the Cubs for attendance this year?

:cool:

THE_HOOTER
04-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Why do you guys give a crap about the attendance of the Cub's opener?

Why does it bother you at all?

Hoenstly, you guys need to grow up--WHO CARES ABOUT THE F_ING ATTENDANCE!

WHO CARES ABOUT MEDIA COVERAGE! We are not martyrs here-just fans.

For what its worth, it was a heck of a lot colder yesterday then it was for the Sox' opener-at least tell the truth.

Also, the Sox opener was on a Friday afternoon, and not cancelled from the previous day.

The only reason I bring this up is so maybe you'll talk baseball and stop arguing stupid baby crap like this.

Scotty347
04-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Does the National League still count attendance as the # of people that pass through the turnstiles, while the AL counts number of tickets sold?

I thought it was this way in the past.

Soxboyrob
04-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
Why do you guys give a crap about the attendance of the Cub's opener?....WHO CARES ABOUT MEDIA COVERAGE! We are not martyrs here-just fans.....The only reason I bring this up is so maybe you'll talk baseball and stop arguing stupid baby crap like this.

Wow. And I thought I was the only one that felt this way. Good job Hooter. We worry way too much about the Cubs here, IMHO. Cub attendance and media coverage means absolutely nothing to me.

steff
04-09-2003, 01:30 PM

For what its worth, it was a heck of a lot colder yesterday then it was for the Sox' opener-at least tell the truth.

Also, the Sox opener was on a Friday afternoon, and not cancelled from the previous day.

The only reason I bring this up is so maybe you'll talk baseball and stop arguing stupid baby crap like this.

Yikes!!! They have Midol to help with that attitude of yours.. :D:

But I'll pass along some very valuable advice I've gotten over the years here.. don't like the subject, don't read and reply. Keeps the blood pressure down, too :smile:

steff
04-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Wow. And I thought I was the only one that felt this way. Good job Hooter. We worry way too much about the Cubs here, IMHO. Cub attendance and media coverage means absolutely nothing to me.

Oh Rob.. shut yer yapper! :D:

DrCrawdad
04-09-2003, 01:49 PM
...The only reason I bring this up is so maybe you'll talk baseball and stop arguing stupid baby crap like this.

It's my right as a White Sox fan to be a ...

http://www.platuglen.dk/Barn1/crybaby.gif http://xernet.xj.cninfo.net/TUKU/Gif/crybaby.gif

Soxboyrob
04-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Oh Rob.. shut yer yapper! :D:

Consider it done. Gulp.

TheBigHurt
04-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
Does the National League still count attendance as the # of people that pass through the turnstiles, while the AL counts number of tickets sold?

I thought it was this way in the past.

I never knew that, well if it is true :)

Hangar18
04-09-2003, 04:24 PM

Hooter, there is no whining going on here, per se, but Logical conclusions on what We (sox fans) perceive as intentional slighting by the media, and the foolish ones who believe everything there is that is cub. If there were no Media Slant favouring the cubs, we wouldnt be talking about this now would
we ? ??
Cubs = Media Coverage
Media Coverage = Cubs.

its as simple as that. or for you mathemeticians out there:
C+MC=MC+C C is to MC what MC is to C.