PDA

View Full Version : Sox ranked...

MarkEdward
04-08-2003, 07:05 PM
15th in Baseball America's top organizations list. They're behind such luminaries as the Devil Rays, Tigers, and Dodgers. Cubs are ranked third.

As for the draft, if the Sox get Kyle Bakker or Brad Sullivan, I'll be a happy guy.

Vsahajpal
04-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
15th in Baseball America's top organizations list. They're behind such luminaries as the Devil Rays, Tigers, and Dodgers. Cubs are ranked third.

As for the draft, if the Sox get Kyle Bakker or Brad Sullivan, I'll be a happy guy.

I'm the "scouting director" for the Cubs and Sox in TeamOneBaseball's mock draft, and chose Bakker for the Sox despite his poor form lately. I think they'd be happy if they landed him at 15. FYI, I've nailed Honel and Allen for the Sox in 2001. Cut me some slack on Royce Ring though. The 3rd annual mock draft will be a few days prior to the rule IV draft, so if you're interested, stop by.

dasox24
04-08-2003, 08:12 PM
I was just wondering if someone could please give me some info on Kyle Baker and Brad Sullivan.(i.e. position, school, scouting report, ect.) I just want to know the Sox might be looking at in next years draft. thanks

Daver
04-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Cut me some slack on Royce Ring though. The 3rd annual mock draft will be a few days prior to the rule IV draft, so if you're interested, stop by.

Royce Ring was almost as bad a first round pick as Mark Johnson was.

czalgosz
04-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by daver
Royce Ring was almost as bad a first round pick as Mark Johnson was.

Hey, go easy on Mark... at least he is an active player in the majors, which is more than Ring will probably be.

Anyway, how about Eddie Pearson? Scott Christman? Jason Dellaero? Jason Stumm? They were all way worse than Johnson.

Daver
04-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Hey, go easy on Mark... at least he is an active player in the majors, which is more than Ring will probably be.

Anyway, how about Eddie Pearson? Scott Christman? Jason Dellaero? Jason Stumm? They were all way worse than Johnson.

I didn't mention them because "The Great" Ron Schueler was never told flat out NOT to draft them in the first round by his scouting dept. Ron was told Mark would be available in the third round and he picked him in the first anyway.It seems kind of strange that all the names you mentioned were Schueler draft picks though.........

OfficerKarkovice
04-08-2003, 08:34 PM
I'm the "scouting director" for the Cubs and Sox in TeamOneBaseball's mock draft, and chose Bakker for the Sox despite his poor form lately. I think they'd be happy if they landed him at 15. FYI, I've nailed Honel and Allen for the Sox in 2001. Cut me some slack on Royce Ring though. The 3rd annual mock draft will be a few days prior to the rule IV draft, so if you're interested, stop by.

Vic...I was wondering if you knew anything or what your thoughts were on a kid named Ryan Sweeney. He's a left handed pitcher out of Cedar Rapids Xavier High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I've played against him several times in the past and watched a few more of his games. He's a pretty big kid, 6'4" or so and throws gas with a wicked curve. Wasn't sure on if there was any talk about him in the draft. Thanks.

kevingrt
04-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Wait are we talking about Royce "The 2nd Choice" Ring???

:hitless

"He's my little bro!"

FanOf14
04-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Wait are we talking about Royce "The 2nd Choice" Ring???

:hitless

"He's my little bro!"

When did everyone start to dislike that kid? I thought most around here were high on him when he came on the scene...maybe I missed something at some point... :?:

Daver
04-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
When did everyone start to dislike that kid? I thought most around here were high on him when he came on the scene...maybe I missed something at some point... :?:

Some were,I was not,I thought at the time that it was a wasted draft pick and I still feel it was

Vsahajpal
04-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Kyle Bakker's a 6'9 260 lb junior LHP from Georgia Tech. Despite his size, his fastball resides in the high 80's, for the most part. His greatest strength is his pinpoint command, and deceptive arm motion. He adds a mid 70's (mph) breaker and change to his arsenal.

http://www.beesball.com/images2002/bakker051702.jpg

Sulli (Brad Sullivan) is a junior RHP at the University of Houston. At 6'1 205 lb, he draws comparisons to David Cone with his arm action, low 90's heat, plus (potential "plus-plus") slider, and plus change-up. Sullivan's a bulldog, hell he overcame a severe brain injury at the age of 10. He went 7-0 with an 0.72 ERA for Team USA this past summer. He will most likely not fall to 15.

http://teamonebaseball.rivals.com/uploads/1004/77212.jpg

Officer Karko, Ryan Sweeney is a man-child. Probably the top 2-way player in high school right now, I'd imagine most scouts like him in the OF, although some SD might draft him as a pitcher. He throws his fastball 88-91, and adds a hard slider (75-82) and change. At 6'5 205 and with a plus bat and arm, he's a prototype RF.

http://www.perfectgame.org/2003/indoorshowcase/images/sweeney.jpg

MarkEdward
04-08-2003, 10:04 PM

BA has Bakker ranked as the 22nd best college prospect. Including high school prospects, he should be around number 30 come draft day. I think he'll be around when the Sox pick.

So let's say Sully and Bakker are gone, then who do the Sox take? Conor Jackson? Jamie D'Antona is putting up great numbers for Wake.

Knowing Kenny though, we'll probably take David Aardsma.

Vsahajpal
04-08-2003, 11:12 PM
BA has Bakker ranked as the 22nd best college prospect. Including high school prospects, he should be around number 30 come draft day. I think he'll be around when the Sox pick.

So let's say Sully and Bakker are gone, then who do the Sox take? Conor Jackson? Jamie D'Antona is putting up great numbers for Wake.

Knowing Kenny though, we'll probably take David Aardsma.

Berkeley's Conor Jackson's a good choice, can't really play 3b though. Sox have ventured out west quite a bit recently, so other interesting guys include RHP Jared Hughes, Stanford OF Carlos Quentin, Stanford RHP John Hudgins, Cal. St. Fullerton RHP Wes Littleton or OF Shane Costa.

There are quite a few top notch relievers actually, headed by Mr. Aardsma, and followed by CSF's Chad "Big Chief" Cordero, and Arizona State Sun Devil RHP Ryan Schroyer.

Daver
04-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Vic you have any info on Landon Powell from SC?

OfficerKarkovice
04-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Vic...where do you see Sweeney getting drafted? I would imagine it would be in the first round. Any chance of us getting a shot at him? I think he's going to be a real stud someday.

maurice
04-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Kyle Bakker's a 6'9 260 lb junior LHP from Georgia Tech. Despite his size, his fastball resides in the high 80's, for the most part. His greatest strength is his pinpoint command, and deceptive arm motion. He adds a mid 70's (mph) breaker and change to his arsenal.

A 6'9 soft-tossing lefty? This guy has "Sox prospect" written all over him.

:)

Vsahajpal
04-09-2003, 02:13 PM
lol, I actually chose Bakker over Landon Powell and Mr. Sweeney

http://teamonebaseball.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=46&mid=16437429&sid=&tid=16437429&style=1

Landon Powell is a Boras client I believe, at least in high school he was. He is a draft eligible sophomore C. He stands 6'2 225 lb and has a chance to be a very sound hitter from both sides of the plate. His defensive ability is also amongst the best at the collegiate level.

I'll have more later, Prior's pitching...

Sweeney may be around at 15.

TheBigHurt
04-09-2003, 03:26 PM

WELL the Dodgers not being ranked ahead of the Sox is surprising (not upsetting :) )as finding out we got rid of Choice

doublem23
04-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14

I don't think no one ever dislike Ring himself. Personally, I am intrigued by him, however, like daver, I feel that he was a wasted draft pick. There was better talent out there.