PDA

View Full Version : Rowand and Lee - Holes in the LineUp!

balz1472
04-08-2003, 05:10 PM
So, I just wanted to get a few other voices on my opinion... I think Carlos Lee and Aaron Rowand might as well be playing for a little league team because they are hopeless at the plate.
It seems like every time I listen to the game I hear "... Lee strikes out ...". He strikes out more than he makes contact... this is not good... is he trying to be Rob Deer?

I think the Tinkerer should sit him down for Rios or even put Daubach out there. Just a little rant I had to get out!

... as for Rowand... bring up Borchard... he can't be much worse.

GASHWOUND
04-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by balz1472
So, I just wanted to get a few other voices on my opinion... I think Carlos Lee and Aaron Rowand might as well be playing for a little league team because they are hopeless at the plate.
It seems like every time I listen to the game I hear "... Lee strikes out ...". He strikes out more than he makes contact... this is not good... is he trying to be Rob Deer?

I think the Tinkerer should sit him down for Rios or even put Daubach out there. Just a little rant I had to get out!

... as for Rowand... bring up Borchard... he can't be much worse.

I agree with Rowand part, rather have Borchard up instead, I'd take Rios.
But it is a bit early to bail on Lee. Everybody is hittin' bad on our team. Maybe its the cold weather and won't get heated up until the weather does. I don't know why Lee is so jumpy up there, last year I think he had more walks then SOs. So he's proven he can be more patient.
But with the tough righties(especially in this weather) go with the lefties(Daubach/Rios

calebhatesyou
04-08-2003, 06:31 PM
hey i was going to add something here, but you two (especially the 2nd guy) covered the bases for me

bc2k
04-08-2003, 06:38 PM
I would switch Lee to second in the order if Jose wasn't so hot right now. Jose is our best hitter so far, and I wouldn't want to shake him up. But if he cools down and Lee is still struggling, switch them in the lineup.

jeremyb1
04-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
I agree with Rowand part, rather have Borchard up instead, I'd take Rios.
But it is a bit early to bail on Lee. Everybody is hittin' bad on our team. Maybe its the cold weather and won't get heated up until the weather does. I don't know why Lee is so jumpy up there, last year I think he had more walks then SOs. So he's proven he can be more patient.
But with the tough righties(especially in this weather) go with the lefties(Daubach/Rios

i think its a bit early to bail on anyone. we've only played 7 games. if we have huge problems with lee and rowand we have huge problems with konerko and olivo too. no one other than jose and maybe crede is exactly crushing the ball right now. patience can be valuable at this point in the season. lets take it easy.

duke of dorwood
04-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Lee looks worse than Konerko, if thats possible. Jiminez is just getting comfortable with Jose behind him, dont mess that up.

OEO Magglio
04-08-2003, 08:36 PM
I dont think you can give up on anyone yet this early in the season. I still like rowand's defense and I think he can hit around .280, and as far as carlos goes we've seen this every year with him he's a very inconsistent hitter. I wouldn't shake up the lineup just yet I really am liking Jose hitting behind d'angelo, jimenez is very quickly starting to become one of my favorite hitters on the sox, I love his patients at the plate, and he just has great composure up there, he's one guy on the sox that right now I would love to see up in the 8th or 9th in a close game, like today coming through with a huge hit in the 7th inning.

kevingrt
04-08-2003, 09:16 PM
I agree with all of you... I cannot give up on anyone yet. Even though I do think C Lee is laboring the most. Aaron has shown at times that he can hit the ball and has actually come up clutch at times.

But no dont count anyone out yet

SouthSideHitman
04-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I dont think you can give up on anyone yet this early in the season. I still like rowand's defense and I think he can hit around .280, and as far as carlos goes we've seen this every year with him he's a very inconsistent hitter. I wouldn't shake up the lineup just yet I really am liking Jose hitting behind d'angelo, jimenez is very quickly starting to become one of my favorite hitters on the sox, I love his patients at the plate, and he just has great composure up there, he's one guy on the sox that right now I would love to see up in the 8th or 9th in a close game, like today coming through with a huge hit in the 7th inning.

That pretty much sums up my view, so I'll just say this, it is better for Borchard to work out his long swing in Charlotte with no pressure where he can't hurt the club than struggle in the bigs, hurting him and the Sox.

baggio202
04-08-2003, 09:42 PM
lee is worthless....give up on him too early???..i gave up on him about 2 years ago...he cant do anything well...defensively he plays the deepest LF in baseball because he cant track a ball hit over his head...think im kidding??..next time you are at white sox park just see where he plays and compare it to his counterpart.....his arm is well below average...he is so dumb on the base paths that JM just gave up last year and pulled the plug on him having the green light...he isnt even allowed to steal bases...he cant bunt ...he is horrible at trying to go to RF with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs to move them up whether he gets a hit or not...basically, if lee isnt hitting over 300 with about 35 homers and 100 rbi he cant help your team because he is so piss poor at the fundementals of the game...

as for rowand , he is a 4th outfielder ideally...but he can help you if he doesnt hit..he already has a few assists or been part of a successful relay...he had a big sacrifice bunt today and if he does get on base he can steal a few...he is streaky so he can get hot for a few games and help pick up slack for the guys in front of him...but he doesnt do that often enough.. he is not imo a starter for a top notch club in CF but with two good corner outfielders you can by with him and center and be successful...unfortunaltely we have lee in lf :whiner: ....

i heard from someone borchard is doing pretty well in charlotte...hope thats true and he is ready soon (id take him right now over lee) and maybe someone out there would be dumb enough to take lee off our hands and maybe even give us something of value in return...what's lee make??...4.2 million or something like that...what the hell was KW thinking the day he offered lee that contract???

Lip Man 1
04-08-2003, 10:18 PM
I agree with Baggio in his critique of Lee however in the interest of fairness I'll give him a month or so and see what happens.

Overall I think the liabilities he has shown in three years outweigh his "potential" to hit 40 home runs and drive in 120 RBI's.

I also wonder if this could be a factor, isn't Lee up for arbitration after this year? Could he be pressing for a mega deal?

Lip

RichH55
04-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
lee is worthless....give up on him too early???..i gave up on him about 2 years ago...he cant do anything well...defensively he plays the deepest LF in baseball because he cant track a ball hit over his head...think im kidding??..next time you are at white sox park just see where he plays and compare it to his counterpart.....his arm is well below average...he is so dumb on the base paths that JM just gave up last year and pulled the plug on him having the green light...he isnt even allowed to steal bases...he cant bunt ...he is horrible at trying to go to RF with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs to move them up whether he gets a hit or not...basically, if lee isnt hitting over 300 with about 35 homers and 100 rbi he cant help your team because he is so piss poor at the fundementals of the game...

as for rowand , he is a 4th outfielder ideally...but he can help you if he doesnt hit..he already has a few assists or been part of a successful relay...he had a big sacrifice bunt today and if he does get on base he can steal a few...he is streaky so he can get hot for a few games and help pick up slack for the guys in front of him...but he doesnt do that often enough.. he is not imo a starter for a top notch club in CF but with two good corner outfielders you can by with him and center and be successful...unfortunaltely we have lee in lf :whiner: ....

i heard from someone borchard is doing pretty well in charlotte...hope thats true and he is ready soon (id take him right now over lee) and maybe someone out there would be dumb enough to take lee off our hands and maybe even give us something of value in return...what's lee make??...4.2 million or something like that...what the hell was KW thinking the day he offered lee that contract???

I know the ulter and complete importance of Defense in Left Field....With the plethora of talented defensive players in LF today in the game, and the old adage that Left Field Defense wins championships....I can understand why the real likely potential(horrible first week not withstanding) or Carlos .300, 30 + HR with 100 RBI with a pretty good walk clip would be something to give up on.

And 4.2 million for shame Kenny....locking up potential contributors while they are young.....sad, but true. I mean hell Royce only made 4.5 million last year and Carlos is a third of the player he is.

maurice
04-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Ditto on the "it's still very early" comments. Of the players mentioned in this thread, it looks like Crash has stuggled the least (relatively), while CLee and Konerko have struggled the most:

Rowand - .538 OPS, 2 Runs, 1 RBI, 3 SO
Olivo - .382 OPS, 3 Runs, 1 RBI, 1 SO
Konerko - .359 OPS, 1 Run, 2 RBI, 5 SO
Lee - .291 OPS, 2 Runs, 0 RBI, 11 SO !!!

Konerko's numbers reflect a handful of lucky infield hits but don't reflect his spotty D so far. He should be back to his .850 OPS self before long. As for CLee, he should post at least .820 OPS, 70 Runs, 80 RBI with regular playing time. That's not great, but it won't hurt you, especially with Borchard in his second season at AAA.

RichH55
04-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Ditto on the "it's still very early" comments. Of the players mentioned in this thread, it looks like Crash has stuggled the least (relatively), while CLee and Konerko have struggled the most:

Rowand - .538 OPS, 2 Runs, 1 RBI, 3 SO
Olivo - .382 OPS, 3 Runs, 1 RBI, 1 SO
Konerko - .359 OPS, 1 Run, 2 RBI, 5 SO
Lee - .291 OPS, 2 Runs, 0 RBI, 11 SO !!!

Konerko's numbers reflect a handful of lucky infield hits but don't reflect his spotty D so far. He should be back to his .850 OPS self before long. As for CLee, he should post at least .820 OPS, 70 Runs, 80 RBI with regular playing time. That's not great, but it won't hurt you, especially with Borchard in his second season at AAA.

.820 OPS....better than Preston Wilson and Darin Erstad last season to put that in some perspective....but GASP he makes 4.2 million! What was KW thinking.....that makes him like the 300th highest paid player in the game today....>For Shame KW!