PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Notes


maurice
04-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Rauch and Adkins were solid in their first starts this season, and LTP has good numbers so far. Also, it looks like Hummel will play 3B with Nunez at SS and Harris / Miles at 2B.

Daver
04-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Rauch and Adkins were solid in their first starts this season, and LTP has good numbers so far. Also, it looks like Hummel will play 3B with Nunez at SS and Harris / Miles at 2B.

To bad Arnaldo Munoz has an ERA that is close to his weight........

Fridaythe13thJason
04-07-2003, 08:26 PM
I think it would be strange if it was always the lesser known prospect in the system that was a successful pitcher...i.e. Buehrle, Stewart as opposed to Jon Garland or Jon Rauch.

duke of dorwood
04-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Adkins must be the consommate minor league pitcher. I'd like to see him with Cooper every day. I like gritty players like Hummel and Myles.

kevingrt
04-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Harris is doing awesome I hear! HR and batting amazing!

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Harris can compete with Jimenez the next couple of years I think. If Carlos Lee doesn't start to show up at the plate I wouldn't mind seeing more of Borchard. It'll be tough to get him into our outfield if Maggs and Lee are hitting though. I don't want to see Rowand go at all. So I think his legit chance is to sneak in place of Lee.

Daver
04-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I don't want to see Rowand go at all.

Rowand doesn't have to go anywhere,he can go where he belongs,on the bench as a fourth outfielder.

Soxboyrob
04-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
Rowand doesn't have to go anywhere,he can go where he belongs,on the bench as a fourth outfielder.

Every time I want to dismiss this guy as a fourth outfielder type that can't really hit, he puts a bunch of nice swings on the ball. I was quite impressed w/ the guy all weekend vs. the AAA Tigers. His swing looked compact, with his head staying down on the ball. He's a guy that I think gets the most out of his limited talent and plays above where his ability really ought to be. I'm curious enough to want to see him remain our starting CF all this season (barring some sudden trade for a very good CF) and see just how much above his expected talent level he can actually perform. And he needs to do it vs. a major league team.

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 09:49 PM
I just love his hustle and obvious effort. He's just a badass out there (the strings on his glove are tight) and I like having him in CF. He's obviously never going to be an allstar centerfielder or a great hitter, but he plays the position well and can hit well enough and even got hot at times. I just like having him out there everyday. He's good for this team especially when they tend to slack or whine. He's not that type.

Daver
04-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Every time I want to dismiss this guy as a fourth outfielder type that can't really hit, he puts a bunch of nice swings on the ball. I was quite impressed w/ the guy all weekend vs. the AAA Tigers. His swing looked compact, with his head staying down on the ball. He's a guy that I think gets the most out of his limited talent and plays above where his ability really ought to be. I'm curious enough to want to see him remain our starting CF all this season (barring some sudden trade for a very good CF) and see just how much above his expected talent level he can actually perform. And he needs to do it vs. a major league team.

Check back with me when he learns some plate disicpline.Or when he can get his OBP somewhere respectable.

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 10:03 PM
With the great lineup that we have do we really need to rely on stellar production from the #7 guy? (Rowand) I mean Valentin-Crede looks like it will produce more than enough to overcome Rowand not being on base consistently. So long as he doesn't become the next Choice, which he won't.

Daver
04-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
With the great lineup that we have do we really need to rely on stellar production from the #7 guy? (Rowand) I mean Valentin-Crede looks like it will produce more than enough to overcome Rowand not being on base consistently. So long as he doesn't become the next Choice, which he won't.

Compare that to a defensive CF'er that is just as good ,if not better defensively,that gives you HR power from both sides of the plate,and legitimizes the bottom third of your order,which would you prefer?

kevingrt
04-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by daver
Check back with me when he learns some plate disicpline.Or when he can get his OBP somewhere respectable.

Sir Sabermetician Daver Epstein is here!

Daver
04-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Sir Sabermetician Daver Epstein is here!


LOL!!!

I don't use sabermetrics,I don't even understand all of it,I just call'em as I see'em,it has worked pretty good so far.......

lowesox
04-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Rowand is one of my favourite whitesox. He goes balls out on every play and has that "football player" mentality. Plus, I think he has a really high ceiling offensively. LEts not forget that this was one of the organizations peach prospects, and until late last season he hasn't had a chance to play everyday. And when he did he looked awesome.

How can you not like this guy?

Daver
04-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by lowesox


How can you not like this guy?

I do like him,as a fourth outfielder.

His defense is average at best,his arm is slightly above average,and his range barely makes up for the balls he misjudges off the bat.At the plate he is a punch hitter with a little pop,that can't hit well in situational hitting,can't take a walk,and has poor plate disclipine.

What are you seeing that I'm not?

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 11:23 PM
I see average or slightly better than average everything that he has but he does something with it and puts in quality showings. He's young still and with a full year at CF I think he could really do well in the long run. I also like his personality and the mentality he brings to the team and the games. His effort and his hustle and work ethic. I just think he has a positive influence on the team. Definately one of my favorite Sox.

czalgosz
04-08-2003, 12:48 AM
There's two things wrong with things as they stand.

One is that the Sox have no real viable option other than Rowand in center, so he's the guy. The fact that he's going to have to hit for himself late in ballgames most of the time is bad. Manuel's been using Rios, but I don't think that's a viable option for the long term. He simply is not a good enough hitter to justify playing every day in center.

Two is that Daver's right, Borchard is probably a superior option in the long haul. Unless Borchard completely collapses in AAA, he'll probably be in Chicago to stay by August or so, and that's when Rowand will really be useful as a fourth outfielder/defensive replacement. I've never seen Borchard play center, but every scouting report I've read says that Rowand is superior defensively, so a Borchard/Rowand offense/defense platoon is a real possibility by the end of this season.

FarWestChicago
04-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Manuel's been using Rios, but I don't think that's a viable option for the long term. He simply is not a good enough hitter to justify playing every day in center.You and I know this is very true. :smile:

RichH55
04-08-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by daver
Check back with me when he learns some plate disicpline.Or when he can get his OBP somewhere respectable.


He looks like he is headed for Darin Erstad status....a ballplayer who does all the little things people like to see, especially wearing the eye gunk, and is overrated if you are one of those people who likes your ballplayers to know the strikezone and get on base fairly regularly

RichH55
04-08-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Rowand is one of my favourite whitesox. He goes balls out on every play and has that "football player" mentality. Plus, I think he has a really high ceiling offensively. LEts not forget that this was one of the organizations peach prospects, and until late last season he hasn't had a chance to play everyday. And when he did he looked awesome.

How can you not like this guy?

I don't ever recalling him being a peach prospect, unless that means he spent a year in Georgia. There is no way he was hyped like a Joe Borchard, I don't even remember him getting the accolades that Tim Hummel was getting say 2 years ago.....If he can eventually accept his role as a 4th OF he will be a great member of the team; I just can't deal with guys with Chris Singleton talent bitching like they are Barry Bonds on the field(One of the reasons I like having Graff so much for the IF)