PDA

View Full Version : Sosa Loses a Ball.

WinningUgly!
04-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Zach Kirk was sitting in the right-field stands with his girlfriend Friday night when Sosa hit a seventh-inning homer that deflected off several sets of hands and came to rest at his feet.

Kirk, 22, of St. Louis, is a Cardinals fan and thought about how a member of the grounds crew returned Mark McGwire's 62nd home run ball to him after he broke the single-season record in 1998.

"It crossed my mind to give it back," Kirk said Sunday. "At the same time, I'm 22 and a senior in college. It could be a blessing.

"I'm going to keep it and try to sell it."

More on Sammy's ball. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0406/1534712.html)

SoxxoS
04-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Now that is too bad.

thecell
04-07-2003, 01:13 PM
After reading the title of this thread, I thought one of his balls exploded from steroid-induced elephantiasis of the testes.

WinningUgly!
04-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by thecell
After reading the title of this thread, I thought one of his balls exploded from steroid-induced elephantiasis of the testes.

That very well could have happened to him twice already! :)

LuvSox
04-07-2003, 02:03 PM
The 'Incident with the Rum bottle' proves he has no balls. So does the fact that he stays with the crappy Cubbies. He is the only player in the limelight so his ego can feed off that. If he were to go elsewhere he wouldn't get so much attention. :scrubs

calebhatesyou
04-07-2003, 07:53 PM
The 'Incident with the Rum bottle' proves he has no balls
can you catch me up in the 'Incident with the Rum bottle'. i must have missed it

LuvSox
04-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by calebhatesyou
can you catch me up in the 'Incident with the Rum bottle'. i must have missed it

I think I have this straight, but if I missed something, please correct me. During the off season of '90-'91 our old buddy Sosa beat his wife with a Rum bottle. I think the story broke somewhere around spring training '91, everyone around SamMe denied it all, of course.

WinningUgly!
04-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by calebhatesyou
From The Chicago Tribune - Feb. 28th, 1991

"I didn`t hit anybody with a bottle," he said. "I swear to God."

Sosa reported to camp on time Wednesday, along with just about everyone else. The only no-shows left were Ozzie Guillen, who was expected for Thursday's first full workout, and Mario Brito, who has visa problems in the Dominican Republic and is expected sometime before the summer solstice.

Sosa, of course, had been mired in legal matters back home in the Dominican. His ex-wife (or his estranged wife, depending on the venue), according to reports, has accused him in the Dominican of hitting her with a rum bottle, plus other indignities.

"He's here to play baseball," said manager Jeff Torborg. "That other stuff will be taken care of."

So while attorneys from both sides try to work out the inevitable settlement, Sosa is in camp, trying to work out his own problems:

- Strikeouts, for one. There were 150 of them last season, which put him in Cecil Fielder Land.

"This year in winter ball, I made a lot of contact," said Sosa. He was talking about baseball, of course, and his .328 average indicated he succeeded. "That's the only thing I had to work on-making contact. The more I make contact, the better it is for me."