PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Olivo


MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 08:31 AM
How do people think he has done so far to start his first MLB season? He's had four starts and thrown out two runners. He certainly has a cannon. Hopefully his bat will come around as well. Any catching experts have something to say? Any other comments?

T Dog
04-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Olivo is obviously still learning. But he looks like he's going to be a stud catcher. At the plate, he hasn't looked so bad. He wasn't overanxious in the eighth yesterday. By not swinging, he drove in the winning run. That made up for him not getting the sacrifice down and bunting into a double play earlier in the game. He just missed a couple of home runs this weekend -- one just foul and one off the top of the wall on opening day.

From outside the bullpen before Sunday's game, I enjoyed listening to the Caveman coach Olivio on his catching approach and the Tiger hitters. "You know about Paquette, don't you? He can't hit a curveball. Throw him a curve and he couldn't hit sand if he fell on a beach."

34 Inch Stick
04-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Word will quickly get around the league about his arm. I expect that you will see very few attempts to steal when he is in the game. We knew the defense was there. I think he could have used a little more time in AAA to work on hitting.

WinningUgly!
04-07-2003, 11:23 AM
I'm glad Olivo stayed up with the big club. As long as he's not rotting on the bench, watching Alomar play every day (or even worse Josh Paul), he's better off here with the Sox than in AAA. Through 6 games, JM has done a very good job splitting time between these 2 guys. 27 inning caught for Olivo...23 for Alomar. Hopefully this will allow Alomar to remain healthy & as productive as possible as well.

voodoochile
04-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Word will quickly get around the league about his arm. I expect that you will see very few attempts to steal when he is in the game. We knew the defense was there. I think he could have used a little more time in AAA to work on hitting.

I am encouraged by the amount of contact he is making. He only has 1 hit but he has walked once and only struck out once. It isn't like he is getting blown away, he just hasn't been putting good wood on the ball consistently yet. I am very encouraged with his abilitys and if he continues to perform at this level, expect Josh Paul to be flat cut in the next month, IMO. that is if they can't trade him...

czalgosz
04-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I am encouraged by the amount of contact he is making. He only has 1 hit but he has walked once and only struck out once. It isn't like he is getting blown away, he just hasn't been putting good wood on the ball consistently yet. I am very encouraged with his abilitys and if he continues to perform at this level, expect Josh Paul to be flat cut in the next month, IMO. that is if they can't trade him...

He had a very memorable AB against Knotts yesterday... if you didn't see it, he fell behind early, then fouled off a bunch of pitches, worked the count full, hit a rocket that missed being a homer by about two feet, and then hit a screaming line drive right to Munson at third. He'll be a fine hitter, and yes, hopefully he can continue to impress, win the starting job with Alomar as the backup/veteran presence and Paul can be let go.

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Yeah I saw that AB. I thought he had the homer for a few seconds but it was "the right size, wrong shape." Hopefully he can solidfy the starting spot and with Alomar as a mentor/backup, we can dump Josh Paul. I mean I like Josh but he'll never amount to anything. He's a good pinch runner though! :D:

Bucktown
04-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
He had a very memorable AB against Knotts yesterday... if you didn't see it, he fell behind early, then fouled off a bunch of pitches, worked the count full, hit a rocket that missed being a homer by about two feet, and then hit a screaming line drive right to Munson at third. He'll be a fine hitter, and yes, hopefully he can continue to impress, win the starting job with Alomar as the backup/veteran presence and Paul can be let go.
I Like Josh Paul.

Banix12
04-07-2003, 09:41 PM
What's with the Josh Paul ripping. I personally always liked him and would have liked for him to get a more legit shot in the majors. He's been always been stuck behind someone else (Mark Johnson, Sandy Alomar, Charles Johnson) or been down in the minors. For a catcher, he hits pretty well and he does have above average catcher's speed. While he's not the greatest defensively or at calling games, you would be still hard pressed to call him a liability to the team. While he will probably never be a big time starting catcher, he is a very solid backup. If anything he's a more reliable backup to olivo than the oft injured Sandy Alomar so i hope Paul can stick around for next year and back up a starting Olivo.

Daver
04-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Banix12
What's with the Josh Paul ripping. I personally always liked him and would have liked for him to get a more legit shot in the majors. He's been always been stuck behind someone else (Mark Johnson, Sandy Alomar, Charles Johnson) or been down in the minors. For a catcher, he hits pretty well and he does have above average catcher's speed. While he's not the greatest defensively or at calling games, you would be still hard pressed to call him a liability to the team. While he will probably never be a big time starting catcher, he is a very solid backup. If anything he's a more reliable backup to olivo than the oft injured Sandy Alomar so i hope Paul can stick around for next year and back up a starting Olivo.

Ummmmm,in order to be considered a Major League catcher you have to have ,at least,the ability to call a game,and you have to be able to field the position,Josh can do neither of these.

He is a career minor leaguer that caught a break because the Sox refuse to sign any catcher they draft in the first five rounds.

RichH55
04-08-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by daver
Ummmmm,in order to be considered a Major League catcher you have to have ,at least,the ability to call a game,and you have to be able to field the position,Josh can do neither of these.

He is a career minor leaguer that caught a break because the Sox refuse to sign any catcher they draft in the first five rounds.

Daver well I agree with you that Paul isnt anything special....catchers in the league are pretty damn thin....Some team would have a spot for him at the major league level, so I disagree with the career minor leaguer aspect of your quote

kermittheefrog
04-08-2003, 01:40 AM
There are catchers out there that aren't getting opportunity. Paul is replacable.

RichH55
04-08-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
There are catchers out there that aren't getting opportunity. Paul is replacable.


Most people are replaceable, but honestly the catching situation out there is terrible, there is a spot for Paul

MHOUSE
04-08-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
there is a spot for Paul

I think somewhere in the league there is a team who would pick him up. He can hit and has some MLB experience. A lot of teams could use a backup like him.

Randar68
04-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I think somewhere in the league there is a team who would pick him up. He can hit and has some MLB experience. A lot of teams could use a backup like him.


Hit what, minor league pitching??? He can barely do that!

If you are going to pick up a catcher that can't catch, he better have either power or better than .250 potential with no OBP...

Randar68
04-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Daver well I agree with you that Paul isnt anything special....catchers in the league are pretty damn thin....Some team would have a spot for him at the major league level, so I disagree with the career minor leaguer aspect of your quote

The Sox had 2 catchers drafted and rated highly in the past 3 or 4 years who have gone on to be good players at top college programs.

Sox sign those guys and Paul is replaced.

I haven't checked up on it, but off the top of my head, Tony Richie will be a top 3 round pick this upcoming draft as a junior. Was a First Team All-American as a Sophomore!

34 Inch Stick
04-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Not to diminish the point about Paul's suckiness but Mark Johnson was a first round pick.

I think catcher is a difficult position to draft. Other than a few elite players the MLB is full of catchers who have little or no impact offensively and only throw out about 1/3 or runners. I think Paul is even below this level.

I hope he gets enough time in the league to earn his pension, just not with the White Sox.

MHOUSE
04-08-2003, 11:55 AM
I never said Paul would be really good, but he would be picked up as at least a backup by somebody. I'd like to see him do well somewhere, but he has no place here at the time and he's out of options as has been said b4.

RichH55
04-09-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Not to diminish the point about Paul's suckiness but Mark Johnson was a first round pick.

I think catcher is a difficult position to draft. Other than a few elite players the MLB is full of catchers who have little or no impact offensively and only throw out about 1/3 or runners. I think Paul is even below this level.

I hope he gets enough time in the league to earn his pension, just not with the White Sox.

Paul was a decently high pick himself IIRC...there still arent that many catchers out there...even prospect wise

Nellie Comiskey
04-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Acquiring Olivo three years ago from Oakland was quite a deal. The Sox received him in exchange for submarine pitcher Chad Bradford. He is very talented and to think he lead the Southern League in triples in 2002 is unbelievable. He is the best all-around catching prospect the Sox have had since Karkovice, but obviously better(potentially) than Karko. He is young and has a great attitude and could develop into a great leader. He's got the tools to be special and with Sandy Alomar Jr. giving postive, mature leadership pointers as well as providing his philosophy in calling a game...he could be special. :smile:

bc2k
04-09-2003, 10:15 PM
that is the worst screen name ever

RichH55
04-10-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
that is the worst screen name ever


Poignant critique from such a poster....IIRC your poster name is actually derived from a Wordsworth poem.....you are as always, an inspiration bc2k