PDA

View Full Version : The Minnesota Twins: re-defining "collapse"

cheeses_h_rice
08-16-2001, 11:26 PM
The Sox will be just 3 behind the Twins after Keith takes care of this inning.

Un-friggin-believable. You almost have to feel sorry for 'em.

Almost.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
The Sox will be just 3 behind the Twins after Keith takes care of this inning.

Un-friggin-believable. You almost have to feel sorry for 'em.

Almost.

I saw this coming long ago. It just took them longer than i expected...

cheeses_h_rice
08-16-2001, 11:29 PM
I think we all expected them to fold way before the All-Star break. When they didn't, I thought they might still be for real.

It just sucks that the Toons are still 7 ahead of the Sox.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I think we all expected them to fold way before the All-Star break. When they didn't, I thought they might still be for real.

It just sucks that the Toons are still 7 ahead of the Sox.

Not all of you. I remember debating with several guys about whether they were for real or not......many of you said they were for real and a very good team. THat they are NOT.

Mathew
08-17-2001, 06:30 AM
It seems ironic to me that we blame our mediocrity on injuries yet the Twins recent lack of success is because they are a bad team, totally unrelated to the injuries to Guzman Radke Allen or others?

Bmr31
08-17-2001, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Mathew
It seems ironic to me that we blame our mediocrity on injuries yet the Twins recent lack of success is because they are a bad team, totally unrelated to the injuries to Guzman Radke Allen or others?

maybe because the twins of 2001 didnt have half the talent of the sox of 2000? Just a guess....... :)

rmusacch
08-17-2001, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Mathew

I think that it is the combination of several factors, including the injuries, the boneheaded trade of Matt Lawton and the effects from those moves, demoralizing the team.

Fisk Fan
08-17-2001, 10:54 AM
It's just a shame that they couldn't take one or two from the Twinks. If they had, we would only be 5-1/2 games back and this would truly be a three team race.

danman31
08-17-2001, 01:44 PM
Exactly, if we were only a very poor 5-8 vs the Twins we'd be 4.5 behind Cleveland and we'd be 3 AHEAD of the Twins. Instead we are an extremely crappy 2-11 vs Minnesota.

czalgosz
08-17-2001, 01:58 PM
The Twins based their success early on in the season on Radke and Milton. With Radke out, that hurts the Twins as much as Wood out hurts the Cubs. (Is he coming off the DL next week, btw?)

As for why the Sox aren't closer right now, I trace the whole thing to June 26th, when Keith Foulke blew a 3-run lead in the ninth at the Metrodome. That game was pivotal. The Sox win that one, and they go over .500, to 37-36, and keep rolling on the tear they were on. As it was, they went 5-7 the rest of the way to the All-Star break, and pretty much doomed their chances at competing.

As it is, I think the Sox have a really good chance to finish above .500, and finish in 2nd place, but the playoffs are a real longshot right now. I'm excited for next season (assuming there's baseball), but if the Sox make the playoffs this year, it'll be the biggest story in Chicago baseball history, bar none.

Paulwny
08-17-2001, 02:09 PM
If they make the play-offs too bad the Chicago media won't look at it as the biggest story in Chicago.

FarWestChicago
08-17-2001, 02:09 PM
Czal's here! Has your boss turned into a task master or something? :)

FarWestChicago
08-17-2001, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
If they make the play-offs too bad the Chicago media won't look at it as the biggest story in Chicago.

It would be buried on page 11 in fine print.

czalgosz
08-17-2001, 03:32 PM
Czal's here! Has your boss turned into a task master or something?

Not really... I have a new job... one that requires more of my time. It's more money, but also more work... *sigh* ... You probably won't be seeing much of me in the immediate future...

It's kinda funny that the program thinks I'm a newbie...

FarWestChicago
08-17-2001, 04:02 PM
It's kinda funny that the program thinks I'm a newbie...

You only have 7 posts. You need to get to 16 to change titles. Just squeeze off a couple more and you'll be fine.

Fisk Fan
08-17-2001, 04:17 PM
Just wait until the Flubs re-re-define "colapse" after the Twinks!

That will be so sweet!

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2001, 06:05 PM
The same twin cities radio guy who referred to the Twins as a train wreck on Wednesday called them a "dead, bloated cow on the side of the road" yesterday.

Jerry_Manuel
08-17-2001, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
a "dead, bloated cow on the side of the road".

Just Thinking:
:moron

FarWestChicago
08-17-2001, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
The same twin cities radio guy who referred to the Twins as a train wreck on Wednesday called them a "dead, bloated cow on the side of the road" yesterday.

I think he might be a little disappointed with their play of late.