PDA

View Full Version : 1959 clincher

chisox59
04-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Thanks to the Kale family and Mark for sharing the audio portions of the 9/22/59 WGN broadcast of the Sox clinching their last pennant. I remember watching this game with my family that night. Any chance the entire audio can be made available? I can't wait to hear additional audio from "The Commander" Bob Elson. Thanks again!

Lip Man 1
04-07-2003, 11:02 AM
To the best of my knowledge no other TV audio exist.

The tape which was misplaced for a long time only includes the 9th inning. The Sox didn't do anything in their half of the inning so I didn't include it in the review.

Total time of the tape was a bit over 18 minutes.

Sorry! Believe me, I WISH we had more!

The reason we didn't make the entire 18 minutes available is because it would take a very long time to download and very few folks would be willing to wait that long regardless of how fast their computer is.

You'll just have to be satisfied with my next historical audio installment which will come out in a few months.

It's Sox action from the 1950's including Minnie Minoso, Tommy Byrne, Nellie Fox talking to Howard Cosell and World Series action.

Lip

chisox59
04-08-2003, 02:08 AM
Thanks Mark. The Kale family was nice enough to email me and send me the entire audio in MP3 format. It was a delight to listen to. I can't wait for your future postings. The one small Bob Elson segment from 1967 that you have on this site just wets my appetite for more of the man I listened to in my youth. Thanks again.

NUCatsFan
04-08-2003, 12:05 PM
By the way, nice writeup in the Sun Times today by Quick Hits. Always nice to see WSI in the press.

Lip Man 1
04-08-2003, 02:41 PM
You mean Ron Rapoport's column don't you? or did quick hits do a second mention today?

Lip

NUCatsFan
04-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
You mean Ron Rapoport's column don't you? or did quick hits do a second mention today?

Lip

Whoops...read both columns today and just got the facts wrong.

Hey, I should be working for the Cubune!

TornLabrum
04-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Boy, those clips brought back great memories. And you'll notice that it was Jack Brickhouse who was responsible for having the sirens set off!

I was in fourth grade and watched the entire game, glued to the set. I remember going to school the next day walking on air. That lasted for another couple of weeks until Larry Sherry shut down what little offense we had.

Still, that's more Sox World Series memories than anyone born after about 1955 have, and for that I'm grateful.

Thanks, Lip and Kales!