PDA

View Full Version : Rick White

lowesox
04-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Why does everybody hate White so much? I noticed he got bashed on the WSI cover story, and he always gets bashed in threads.

Here's a good consistent reliever. Granted, he hasn't been that consistent yet this season but I'll bet he'll be one of our best by September. Has anybody seen his numbers from the second half last year? His ERA was somthing like 0.81.

Everybody hated Osuna too when he started with the sox, and he turned out to be pretty good.

The numbers suggest the White will be good, and playoff caliber teams need at least 4 good consistent arms in the pen. So I think we should all give him the benefit of the doubt.

Banix12
04-06-2003, 09:30 PM
I don't think it is so much a hatred as a confusion as to why we needed him so much that we had to go out and pay him $800,000. We have enough guys in the minors that could play the same role and be as effective. It's also a reaction to his horrible spring and him making the team because he has a guaranteed contract.

kevingrt
04-06-2003, 09:33 PM
I don't dislike him neither do I like him. Depending on how he does through the season will tilt my opinion.

Right now he has sucked so he is more on my bad side. Hopefully he steps it up though!

lowesox
04-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Banix12
I don't think it is so much a hatred as a confusion as to why we needed him so much that we had to go out and pay him $800,000. We have enough guys in the minors that could play the same role and be as effective. It's also a reaction to his horrible spring and him making the team because he has a guaranteed contract.

White has a career ERA under 4 in almost 350 games. That's pretty good. And lets face it, $800,000 is nothing compared to what most players make.

Last year he pitched really well for the cardinals down the stretch {something we'll hopefully need}. As a matter of fact, ESPN called him their best reliever down the stretch.

I don't think I'd be as comfortable with a minor leaguer in that situation. Almonte is probably our best minor league right hander, and I'd take White over him (for consistency) any day.

Yes, he's struggled but I think he'll get it together.

MHOUSE
04-06-2003, 09:51 PM
I think White is on a lot of people's bad side because he hasn't been so hot to start the season. But I think his history will be the guide and he'll settle into a successful groove. Yeah we could always have a minor leaguer do it, but down the stretch and in clutch times we need experience and White has it. He's on my bad side for that two-run homer that put us (and Buehrle) away in the opener, but he's slowly working back. I think we'll all like him come playoff time (I hope!).

If he fails, we've always got Matt Ginter at AAA Charlotte. woo-hoo! :cool:

Daver
04-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Why does everybody hate White so much? I noticed he got bashed on the WSI cover story, and he always gets bashed in threads.

Is it bashing Rick White to ask why he made this team after a pathetic spring?

If anything I was bashing Kenny Williams.

Banix12
04-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Yeah, he did a good job for the cardinals and i agree he will probably do a good job for us. I'm just saying that there is a prevaling idea that he didn't really earn a job on the team because of his poor spring outing. That's why all the hate. Also i think years of getting burned have made sox fans just a little paranoid about free agency.

lowesox
04-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by daver
Is it bashing Rick White to ask why he made this team after a pathetic spring?

If anything I was bashing Kenny Williams.

Ok, he wasn't bashed - but he definitely wasn't spoken kindly of. He does, however, take a solid beating on these message boards.

Maybe, because KW was on a hot streak when he got White and we all needed something to be critical of.

If anything its the Gordon aquisition that has me a little nervous. I think right now, I'd like to see Marte working the 7th and 8th innings.

lowesox
04-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Banix12
Yeah, he did a good job for the cardinals and i agree he will probably do a good job for us. I'm just saying that there is a prevaling idea that he didn't really earn a job on the team because of his poor spring outing. That's why all the hate. Also i think years of getting burned have made sox fans just a little paranoid about free agency.

White's a veteran, and I think some veterans deserve a little bit of slack when it comes to spring training. If he pitched for the sox last year, and did what he did for the cardinals there wouldn't be any qualms about him being given a spot.

jeremyb1
04-06-2003, 11:02 PM
this move shares a lot in common with some of williams other poor moves. first of all, signing white was triggered by another slightly questionable move: signing gordon. while i think gordon is pretty solid he definately has health issues. since kw signed gordon instead of someone like kerry lightenburg or dave veres or trading for someone like rodriguez he had to have insurance in the pen in case gordon went down. kw did the same thing when he resigned alomar meaning we'd have to keep josh paul because alomar can't be counted on to remain in good health.

as previously mentioned, he's also somewhat needlessly relying on veterans instead of capable younger players. it seems like between munoz, sanders, and almonte we probably could've found someone to fill white's role for the major league minimum. that'd free up 500,000 that we could've put into a better set up man than gordon or used to pursue a starter.

however, i think its too early to judge white. if he can perform anything like he did for st. louis last year he's a great addition.

Stoky44
04-06-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

Here's a good consistent reliever. Granted, he hasn't been that consistent yet this season but I'll bet he'll be one of our best by September. Has anybody seen his numbers from the second half last year? His ERA was somthing like 0.81.

Consistent?!?! His lifetime ERA is 3.98. Yea he pitched 22 IP and got a .82 over 20 games. Listen to this crazy fact James Balwin got something like 12 wins in the first half of 2000. Listen the guy had a good last two months last year and that can't be taken away. But he's not even close to being great. He is washed up. he had a bad spring, and a bad start. He shouldn't be on the team. By the way 3.98 is not bad, but... Osuna 3.57 life time.

baggio202
04-06-2003, 11:24 PM
white is a guy thats proven he can pitch under fire in the heat of a division race..that experience is something that will be needed if we are top be successful this season..come august and sept we will be damn glad rick white is on this team (at least i hope so)

fuzzy_patters
04-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
Consistent?!?! His lifetime ERA is 3.98. Yea he pitched 22 IP and got a .82 over 20 games. Listen to this crazy fact James Balwin got something like 12 wins in the first half of 2000. Listen the guy had a good last two months last year and that can't be taken away. But he's not even close to being great. He is washed up. he had a bad spring, and a bad start. He shouldn't be on the team. By the way 3.98 is not bad, but... Osuna 3.57 life time.

Yeah, Garland had a bad spring and a bad start, too. We should can him. His career ERA is over 4, and he'll never be any good. .

Banix12
04-07-2003, 07:05 PM
actually i think i found out why we hate him, it's because White just looks like a paler version of david wells. Oh, the memories are coming back!

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 08:24 PM
Don't remind me. Ugh! White doesn't look quite as sloppy, but I can see the comparison. Perhaps White was "half drunk" during spring training?

RichH55
04-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Don't remind me. Ugh! White doesn't look quite as sloppy, but I can see the comparison. Perhaps White was "half drunk" during spring training?

White looks like Wells's retarded brother in that picture

RichH55
04-08-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
White looks like Wells's retarded brother in that picture

In those pictures he honestly almost makes Wells look daper.....if that doesnt cause a person to train harder in the offseason, nothing will