PDA

View Full Version : J. Stewart

FanOf14
04-06-2003, 08:12 PM
Since I didn't see a thread for the effort this guy put forward today, I figured that I'd start one.

I didn't expect much today from him, but I definitely got more than I expected. I know it was the Tigers he was pitching to, but I thought he did well and gained some confidence at the same time.

Also, I was wondering what every thought of his stuff and his ability to stay cool under pressure.

kevingrt
04-06-2003, 08:34 PM
He played amazing! Congrats to him and a good half a season or so in Triple AAA! Tough luck he didn't get the W though... He should have gotten PTC if it wasnt for that stupid umpire who runs things! :angry:

SoxxoS
04-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Well, he pitched very well today. A lot better than what I expected. He is a junk ball pitcher, and he has great control. Pitchers have been very successful of having great control, even though they lack a 90 mph heater (see Maddux, Greg). Although I am not comparing him to Maddux yet, I thought he did very well for himself
However, as we all know, the Tigers are not a good guage of competition. We will get a better feel for how good Josh is after his 2 next starts. If he pitches well in those two starts, he better not get demoted. Even to the bullpen. Either Wright/Garland will have to pitch in the bullpen. That's just the way it is when you have so much depth!!!! :D:

It would be better for Wright for pitch from the pen when he first gets going, anyway. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, though.

lowesox
04-06-2003, 09:10 PM
I know he keeps getting compared to Buerle, but he also reminds me of Sirotka. He's one of those guys who seems like he'll always turn out a good start. I don't mind if Danny Wright takes a while coming back.

WinningUgly!
04-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Well, he pitched very well today. A lot better than what I expected. He is a junk ball pitcher, and he has great control. Pitchers have been very successful of having great control, even though they lack a 90 mph heater (see Maddux, Greg). Although I am not comparing him to Maddux yet, I thought he did very well for himself
However, as we all know, the Tigers are not a good guage of competition. We will get a better feel for how good Josh is after his 2 next starts. If he pitches well in those two starts, he better not get demoted. Even to the bullpen. Either Wright/Garland will have to pitch in the bullpen. That's just the way it is when you have so much depth!!!! :D:

It would be better for Wright for pitch from the pen when he first gets going, anyway. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, though.

You can't ask for any more than we got out of Loaiza & Stewart the last few days. It's nice to have your 4 & 5 guys pick up the slack after a tough 3 losses through the 1st 3 games.

This was just a series with the lowly Tigers, so I'm not ready to say that we have an abundance ofstarting pitching depth yet, but so far so good.

kevingrt
04-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I know he keeps getting compared to Buerle, but he also reminds me of Sirotka. He's one of those guys who seems like he'll always turn out a good start. I don't mind if Danny Wright takes a while coming back.

I love the comparison to Sirotka. That's even better then Buerhle!

lowesox
04-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
You can't ask for any more than we got out of Loaiza & Stewart the last few days. It's nice to have your 4 & 5 guys pick up the slack after a tough 3 losses through the 1st 3 games.

This was just a series with the lowly Tigers, so I'm not ready to say that we have an abundance ofstarting pitching depth yet, but so far so good.

Ya, I'm really liking what I've seen from our starters so far. Garland's the only guy who's had a "Bad" start.

MHOUSE
04-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Now Danny Boy can take his time getting 100%. Josh is comparible to Buehrle because he is a finesse lefty but they don't seem to handle the game in the same way. I can't elavorate because I only saw the first three innings, but they're different.

I liked Loaiza a lot and I like that Stewart looks like he'll show up every time we call on him. With Buehrle and Colon getting 25 of the first 55 games, it's nice that the other 3 guys will still do something. Everyone seems to focus on the 1-2 aces too much and we need to give the other guys credit and support. I dunno about Garland, he needs to step up!

MRKARNO
04-06-2003, 09:59 PM
How did I know that we should be more concerned with Garland and Wright than Stewart and Loaiza? Garland could be moved to 4 or 5 and there may not be room for Wright in the rotation. We are not in a hurry to get WRight back I wouldnt think. The situation is far from desparate

Soxboyrob
04-06-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Well, he pitched very well today. A lot better than what I expected. He is a junk ball pitcher, and he has great control.

Sounds like you're describing Mark Buehrle. He's done well for himself too. I hope Stewie sticks around. He looked very sharp.

baggio202
04-06-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

as he was pitching today tom glavine came to my mind...same type of fastball that moves away from righties and the change up that has the same movement as the fastball...be nice if he could follow in glavine's success..and his ability to get a strike called 10 inches off the plate wouldnt hurt either :cool:

TheBigHurt
04-06-2003, 11:48 PM
I really hope our end of the shoe pitching (Backhand of the rotation) is solid like this all yr...IF it is fellow teams shall look out

BE GOOD joshy

WinningUgly!
04-06-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
as he was pitching today tom glavine came to my mind...same type of fastball that moves away from righties and the change up that has the same movement as the fastball...be nice if he could follow in glavine's success..and his ability to get a strike called 10 inches off the plate wouldnt hurt either :cool:

The sad thing is, 10 inches off the plate is not much of an exaggeration! Glavine & Maddux consistently get those kinds of calls. I'd settle for Stewart to just get the calls on the corner of the plate. I noticed at least a few of those called balls for him today. Oh well, the calls will come in time.

TimChamp
04-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Speaking of Josh Stewart, check out this picture of him on this article on thw White Sox "official" home page...

Here's the link to the article...

Something weird going on with Josh Stewart's face (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20030406&content_id=261996&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp)

Check it out...

Champ out...

WinningUgly!
04-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by TimChamp
Speaking of Josh Stewart, check out this picture of him on this article on thw White Sox "official" home page...

Here's the link to the article...

Something weird going on with Josh Stewart's face (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20030406&content_id=261996&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp)

Check it out...

Champ out...

He looks like he has a 2nd head trying to pop out of him, like in that Mike's Hard Lemonade commercial. :o:

Ventura23Fan
04-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

Today was my first look at Stewart and I was impressed. So far I've seen comparisons to Buehrle, Siro, and Glavine. I'll throw one more out there. The pitcher he reminded me of was Moyer.

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Hawk and DJ mentioned Moyer during the game. They seemed to shy away from it though because they think Josh is better. I don't remember exactly.

duke of dorwood
04-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Looked very good in bad conditions. Was glad he was in for that many pitches.

T Dog
04-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Last April, on a wet Sunday that was just as cold as yesterday, Jon Rauch got eight runs of run support against the Tigers and left with the score tied. All of the Tiger runs were driven in with two strikes on the hitters.

Maybe the Tigers had a better team last year. Maybe we have a better team this year. But yesterday, I couldn't help thinking about the differences between the two games.

maurice
04-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Ventura23Fan
Today was my first look at Stewart and I was impressed. . . . The pitcher he reminded me of was Moyer.

I agree 100%. Stewart is a soft-tossing junk-baller who keeps the ball down, gets good movement on his pitches, and changes speeds extremely well for a young pitcher. I was very impressed seeing him live against the Tigers but will reserve judgment until he pitches against a line up containing at least a handful of major league hitters. Soft tossers often struggle early in their careers and improve with age (if they stick). Moyer is an excellent example of that.

I'd be absolutely thrilled if Stewart could maintain a 4.50 ERA in the back of the rotation. Anything better that that would be tasty frosting.

voodoochile
04-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by maurice
I'd be absolutely thrilled if Stewart could maintain a 4.50 ERA in the back of the rotation. Anything better that that would be tasty frosting.

He does that and Danny Wright does indeed make it back in late April then the Sox might just have TOO much starting pitching... Man, that would suck...

34 Inch Stick
04-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Could you imagine a Sports Illustrated cover with Reinsdorf in the center with pictures of his 6 starters all around (like they did with King George). Now I would buy that.

MisterB
04-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
Last April, on a wet Sunday that was just as cold as yesterday, Jon Rauch got eight runs of run support against the Tigers and left with the score tied. All of the Tiger runs were driven in with two strikes on the hitters.

Maybe the Tigers had a better team last year. Maybe we have a better team this year. But yesterday, I couldn't help thinking about the differences between the two games.

The Tigers weren't any better, it's that Rauch should have been in AAA slowly getting his shoulder back in shape instead of starting in the majors.

TheBigHurt
04-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He does that and Danny Wright does indeed make it back in late April then the Sox might just have TOO much starting pitching... Man, that would suck...
YEAH i never thought we would be worrying about that :)

BE GOOD