PDA

View Full Version : Le Grande Liefer

Paulwny
04-06-2003, 08:32 PM
When does his bubble burst?
Liefer hits a 3 run homer in the 9th to defeat the mets.

WinningUgly!
04-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

And Biddle got the save.

SoxxoS
04-06-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

While I dont think he is going continue at the pace he is going, Leifer can still be a good major league player.
We know what he can do when getting that chance, he just needed more AB's (I sound like Jeff now).

:liefer

Told ya to give me more AB's.

Banix12
04-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Good for him, hope he keeps it up, after losing at bats to the Harold baines farewell tour, the Jose Canseco freak show, and the log jam at his positions he deserved a chance to prove he can play. Let's hope he keeps it up long enough to tee off on the cubs.

DrCrawdad
04-06-2003, 10:28 PM
I hope Liefer does well for Montreal. Liefer did a bit of bellyaching about wanting to go to a team where he'd play everyday. After 6 games, Liefer has started only a couple. In two games though, Liefer's come thru with some big hits.

The Expos play the Cubs this week at Wrigley. It would be great to see Liefer have three big games while in town.

kevingrt
04-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Good for him, more proud Rocky got two saves now! GO ROCKY :gulp:

MHOUSE
04-06-2003, 11:11 PM
I could care less about Liefer. I never disliked him but I definately wasn't a fan. I loved Rocky though and I am glad he has a couple of saves. He was the only guy I was sad to lose this offseason. I'd take him back any day. But as far as Liefer goes I think he can play if given the chances he never got here. But he'll never beat Paul Konerko or be anything more than just a good player IMO.

baggio202
04-07-2003, 12:38 AM
liefer actually beat out konerko in 99..a pulled hammy sent him to charlotte and the rest was history..liefer has the talent he just needs a place to prove...hope he hits 40 homers this year..i met him twice here in chicago and both time he was very cordial..got get um jeff!!!

duke of dorwood
04-07-2003, 09:31 AM
A nice guy when I met him, always wanted him to get a real chance here. Hope he does great.

moochpuppy
04-07-2003, 10:28 AM
:liefer

"I'm just a Lee Stevens wannabe."

34 Inch Stick
04-07-2003, 10:36 AM
It's "The Canadian Maple Liefer" not Le Grande Liefer.

20 home runs, 60 RBI's, .260 average, corner outfielder and first baseman with average defense, no speed. He is nothing special. Every team in MLB has one of these guys (Daubach for the Sox).

I may be nuts but I'll take Colon.

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Amen to Colon! Liefer for Colon is a pretty good deal I think.

WinningUgly!
04-07-2003, 11:58 AM
The big knock on Liefer, while with the Sox, was that he couldn't hit lefthanded pitching. He's off to a .500 clip against lefties so far this season.

czalgosz
04-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
The big knock on Liefer, while with the Sox, was that he couldn't hit lefthanded pitching. He's off to a .500 clip against lefties so far this season.

Well, the biggest knock on Liefer was that he has stone hands. He is atrocious with the glove, and the Sox already had a DH. I always liked his hitting (he's hit some of the longest homers I've ever seen) but he was eminently replacable (Daubach is at least as good a hitter as Liefer and he can actually field a little).

Banix12
04-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Well if i were Liefer i would have been upset about playing time as well cause when there were good opprotunities for him to play DH such as Thomas' injury they would end up going out and picking up a guy like Canseco. That said I think Daubach is a better fit for this team than Liefer was. A veteran guy can usually handle a smaller more selective role better than an inexperienced player who is used to being a big shot in the minor leagues.

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Banix12
I think Daubach is a better fit for this team than Liefer was. A veteran guy can usually handle a smaller more selective role better than an inexperienced player who is used to being a big shot in the minor leagues.

Definately! I would rather have a veteran like Daubach who can play a few positions decently and hit as well. Liefer was stuck because Jerry never wanted to put him in the field and for good reason. But I can see why having management bypass his chances with a guy like Canseco would piss him off. Oh well it's history now. He won't amount to much overall.