PDA

View Full Version : Durham's #5

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Is anyone else a bit surprised the Sox ran right out and gave the highly-valued #5 jersey number to D'Angelo Jimenez? That's one more than Appling's #4.

Granted, it was ex-GM Ron Schueler who spent years hyping the future star status of Ray Durham, but I would have thought they wouldn't give that number out for at least a few years after his departure.

Daver
04-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Anything that erases all traces of Ron Schueler's regime is fine with me.

:)

DrCrawdad
04-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Wasn't Durham drafted by Himes?

RedPinStripes
04-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Once they're gone, it's just a number to the organization. It's too weird for me seeing Daubach wearig #23.

Daver
04-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Once they're gone, it's just a number to the organization. It's too weird for me seeing Daubach wearig #23.

That's not completely true,If(and if he has a good season I think he will) Frank Thomas bolts after this season,do you think anyone will wear #35 right away? I doubt it.

LuvSox
04-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by daver
That's not completely true,If(and if he has a good season I think he will) Frank Thomas bolts after this season,do you think anyone will wear #35 right away? I doubt it.

I don't think anyone will wear it again

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Wasn't Durham drafted by Himes?

Ray was drafted in the fifth round in the June, 1990 draft. That was Himes' last one as Sox GM. Schueler hyped him because he was the best position prospect the Sox farm system had, his excuse for letting Joey Cora go.

Now about Scott Ruffcorn...

Daver
04-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Ray was drafted in the fifth round in the June, 1990 draft. That was Himes' last one as Sox GM. Schueler hyped him because he was the best position prospect the Sox farm system had, his excuse for letting Joey Cora go.

Now about Scott Ruffcorn...

Don't get me started on the brilliant moves made by Ron Schueler on draft day........

MHOUSE
04-06-2003, 10:14 PM
D'Angelo will never be the fan favorite Ray-Ray was but I don't think anyone was too attached to Durham being the only #5. I never thought of it until this thread in fact.

I always remember Ray as E5!! :D:

Juan Pizarro
04-07-2003, 11:39 AM
How could you remember Durham as "E5"? He never played third.

steff
04-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
How could you remember Durham as "E5"? He never played third.

ROTFLMAO!!!!! :D:

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 08:56 PM
lol I am laughing at both of us! I meant E4, but nice try Juan. haha wow I feel dumb... :(: oh well always a cure for that :gulp:

MisterB
04-07-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Is anyone else a bit surprised the Sox ran right out and gave the highly-valued #5 jersey number to D'Angelo Jimenez? That's one more than Appling's #4.

Granted, it was ex-GM Ron Schueler who spent years hyping the future star status of Ray Durham, but I would have thought they wouldn't give that number out for at least a few years after his departure.

I was surprised Durham got that number so quickly considering the near-legend status of Matt Merullo.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-07-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
I was surprised Durham got that number so quickly considering the near-legend status of Matt Merullo.

LOL! Good one!

The Yankees give #5 to Joe DiMaggio.

The Sox give #5 to Matt Merullo.