PDA

View Full Version : Why is Koch pitching in a 10-2 game?

ShoelessFred
04-06-2003, 05:27 PM
He's pitched in almost all the games alrdeady. Is jerry trying to blow his arm out before the all star break?

TheBigHurt
04-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
He's pitched in almost all the games alrdeady. Is jerry trying to blow his arm out before the all star break?

SORRY, thats a ques i cant answer

34rancher
04-06-2003, 05:37 PM

He might have been warming up in the pen during the bottom of the eighth when the game was still close. He also has stated in the past that he likes to pitch as often as possible, and considering that he had last pitched 1 inning Friday night, he should be fine.

hose
04-06-2003, 05:49 PM

I caught Farmio and Rooney on the way home from the park and they were talking that it was good to get Koch in the game today.

They mentioned he will be ready tomorrow if needed and that Tuesday is an off day.

Shoeless Joe
04-06-2003, 06:14 PM
I think they want Koch to get sharp early in the season. So as a result you're going to see him pitch in 10-2 games. If I was the decision maker I would only put him in when it's a save situation or when it's not the Royals batting.

kevingrt
04-06-2003, 06:31 PM
I like him in there... Give him confidence if he needs any, and did anyone want to see Rick White in there???

And one inning wont do much harm will it?

WinningUgly!
04-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
He might have been warming up in the pen during the bottom of the eighth when the game was still close. He also has stated in the past that he likes to pitch as often as possible, and considering that he had last pitched 1 inning Friday night, he should be fine.

This was the case according to Hawk. He mentioned, when Koch came in, that he was warmed up & ready to go before the game got out of hand.

lowesox
04-06-2003, 09:19 PM
I was just defenidng MAnuel yesterday - but I thought Kock today was stupid too. I thought Gordon should have been in there. If there's one guy we need to get on track its him and I think he could have really used the work.

Kock looked good last time out, and I was petrified he was going to implode as closer's often do with a big lead.

Banix12
04-06-2003, 09:34 PM
I think it just makes him feel a little better to get that ERA down a bit after that one horrible outing.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-06-2003, 10:06 PM
I was in the left field bleachers and Koch was warming up when it was still 2-1. At one point it looked like the offense was going to be stopped when some idiot in the left field corner decided to interfere with a play that could have cost us some runs.
Billy Koch kept warming up, and our offense decided to slowly tear up the Tigers. By that point Billy was more than ready to pitch. I personally think it was good for Koch to get the work in, last year he would pitch like 4 games in a row, so his arm can take it.

MHOUSE
04-06-2003, 10:06 PM
I agree that he was ready to go when we were only tied and if we took a narrow lead he would go. But when we blew it open I guess he might as well go instead of getting White or Flash up. I don't mind seeing him get some work so long as it's not anything before the ninth. I don't understand closers in the eighth inning. Never worked for Foulke, so why does Jerry do it still? grrrr....anyways Koch has looked ok before and after the KC implode so he should be ok.

SoxxoS
04-06-2003, 10:12 PM
The reason why Koch was left in the game, is because Jerry is such a great manager, did his weather homework, and knew that the Cleveland game was going to get cancelled.

They don't call him Ghandi for nothing.

I'm glad Stewart got his start in now, because who knows what tinkerbell would do with this snow-out.

Soxboyrob
04-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Did anyone notice today that Koch's highest gun rating on his fastball was 93mph? I'm not a guy that cares much about Mph on a pitcher, but in Koch's case, it's pretty important. His breaking stuff actually looked good today and was getting over for strikes but that won't happen all year. I hope the cold was the main reason for the lower speed on his heater.

baggio202
04-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Did anyone notice today that Koch's highest gun rating on his fastball was 93mph? I'm not a guy that cares much about Mph on a pitcher, but in Koch's case, it's pretty important. His breaking stuff actually looked good today and was getting over for strikes but that won't happen all year. I hope the cold was the main reason for the lower speed on his heater.

the sox radar gun is always screwed up..usually low...on saturday buehlre fastball was being clocked in the high 70's :D:
wouldnt trust that thing at all

whe we play the cubs they will clock billy at 109..anyone who pitches in wrigley gets a minum 98mph on their gun :gulp:

WinningUgly!
04-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
the sox radar gun is always screwed up..usually low...on saturday buehlre fastball was being clocked in the high 70's :D:
wouldnt trust that thing at all

whe we play the cubs they will clock billy at 109..anyone who pitches in wrigley gets a minum 98mph on their gun :gulp:

I noticed quite a few of Stewart's pitches today were clocked in the 40's. :o:

TheBigHurt
04-06-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
MY GOODNES, ya sure thats not supposed to be in teal!!!!!!! :)

BE GOOD joshy

czalgosz
04-07-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

What the gun was picking up was the throw back to the pitcher from the catcher.

WinningUgly!
04-07-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
What the gun was picking up was the throw back to the pitcher from the catcher.

I thought Olivo had a cannon. :)

T Dog
04-07-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I'm glad Stewart got his start in now, because who knows what tinkerbell would do with this snow-out.

Because of today's postponement, it looks like the Tigers will face Stewart in Detroit next Sunday.