PDA

View Full Version : News Day article on Manuel, plus....

Paulwny
04-06-2003, 12:20 PM
The general manager of one competing club said it isn't Manuel's fault if the South Siders fail. "They have a volatile clubhouse, and they are weak up the middle," the GM said. The decision to keep Frank Thomas was a mistake of Jerry Reinsdorf's since Thomas is the reason the clubhouse is questionable. A nostalgic Reinsdorf cut Thomas only from $10 million to $5 million but even that figure seems like charity in today's market. "Jerry [Reinsdorf] wanted to keep Frank Thomas. [GM Kenny Williams] didn't want him," one person familiar with the White Sox's thinking said.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-hey063208960apr06,0,6855917.column?coll=ny%2Dbaseb all%2Dheadlines

RKMeibalane
04-06-2003, 12:41 PM
By all indications, Frank looks like he's going to have a good season. He has gotten back to doing the types of things he did in the past (i.e. hitting to all fields, drawing walks, etc.), so I have a feeling those who think it was a bad idea to keep him will be eating crow at the end of the year.

Ventura23Fan
04-07-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
By all indications, Frank looks like he's going to have a good season. He has gotten back to doing the types of things he did in the past (i.e. hitting to all fields, drawing walks, etc.), so I have a feeling those who think it was a bad idea to keep him will be eating crow at the end of the year.

What's encouraging to me is that he is hitting the ball hard the opposite way. Last year, when he hit it to the right side it was usually a weak grounder or popup.