PDA

View Full Version : Sosa has 566 Home runs?

34rancher
04-06-2003, 10:31 AM
According to this article (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=37717131) if you add up Sosa's "meaningful" home runs he has 566. Wil the media ever stop the spin? Can they at least think before they speak?

34rancher
04-06-2003, 10:50 AM
I just emailed him this:
In your article entitled Enough of the pontificating - give Sosa his due
Miles , you use statistics in a VERY misleading way. When you state the following:

1. 151 put his club on top in games
2. 121 were hit when the game was tied

Isnít this a restatement of virtually the same statistic? In other words he has hit only 30 put his team in the lead that had runners on base when down by 1 or more?

Another interesting use of statistics to me is that you use the 243 home runs were hit when his team was up by 1 down by 1 or tied in the same bullet structure as the previous 3 stats, thereby implying that these are all separate home runs. Then adding up all of your stats, Sosa has 567 home runs (including #500 that he hit on Friday). While I do not doubt the validity of that statistic, arenít most games 1 run or tied in the bottom of the first when Sammy comes up to bat? 243 is impressive, but a whopping 257 were hit when the Cubs were down by 2 or more or up by 2 or more (which I would assume is the later innings?). No doubt that Sosa has had a very impressive career and 500 is 500 (as old as Mike Schmidt is thinking, maybe he just canít count that high anymore).

Please do not perpetuate the media biases and standards in the town by using statistics to try to say how great or bad something is. Use the only one that needed to be said: 500.
Any thoughts?

Shoeless Joe
04-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by 34rancher
In your article entitled Enough of the pontificating - give Sosa his due
Miles , you use statistics in a VERY misleading way. When you state the following:

1. 151 put his club on top in games
2. 121 were hit when the game was tied

Isnít this a restatement of virtually the same statistic? In other words he has hit only 30 put his team in the lead that had runners on base when down by 1 or more?

Another interesting use of statistics to me is that you use the 243 home runs were hit when his team was up by 1 down by 1 or tied in the same bullet structure as the previous 3 stats, thereby implying that these are all separate home runs. Then adding up all of your stats, Sosa has 567 home runs (including #500 that he hit on Friday). While I do not doubt the validity of that statistic, arenít most games 1 run or tied in the bottom of the first when Sammy comes up to bat? 243 is impressive, but a whopping 257 were hit when the Cubs were down by 2 or more or up by 2 or more (which I would assume is the later innings?). No doubt that Sosa has had a very impressive career and 500 is 500 (as old as Mike Schmidt is thinking, maybe he just canít count that high anymore).

Please do not perpetuate the media biases and standards in the town by using statistics to try to say how great or bad something is. Use the only one that needed to be said: 500.

I completely agree with you 34rancher, I think he wants to give everyone the image of Sosa as the greatest hitter of all time when in reality he isn't. Sosa is a great slugger and could possibly end up in the HOF one day but at times there just seems to be severe biased opinion for Sosa and the Cubs and not just in this town but around the country. To put it simply, Sosa is not a good clutch hitter.