PDA

View Full Version : Tony G

DustyIsOverated1
04-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Does anyone here think Tony should be the everyday starter at 2nd instead of Jimenez??? He sure is hitting the ball well.

mike squires
04-05-2003, 07:57 PM
I was just thinking that today. There is no question he should be given an opportunity to get some at bats in! He can definatly spark this team and is very clutch. you got my vote.

StepsInSC
04-05-2003, 08:31 PM
If he can do what he did today, and hit the ball to all parts of the field consistantly then sure why not.

calebhatesyou
04-05-2003, 08:35 PM
i think tony is getting the at bats he deserves right now. but he could end up at second if jeminez doesn't start doing better. i think the main reason jeminez gets the nod is his youth, but he needs to step it up. he hasn't done anything in the feild graffy can't do ( graffy might even be the best infeilder we have), and tony isn't too shabby on the basepaths either (he's kinda valentine-esque--not too fast but heady). i've liked tony since he played for the braves and if jeminez doesn't start playing better then graffy, then the future is now and the youth can sit.

Soxboyrob
04-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by calebhatesyou
( graffy might even be the best infeilder we have

All you have to do to find out why Graffy is a utility player is to play him as a regular. He's not a regular caliber player. He's a fine hitter, I'll admit. A truly professional hitter. But his defense is woeful, woeful I tell ya'. By no means is he our best infielder. By no means is he better than any of Crede, Valentin or Jimenez. Konerko? Maybe. Graff's range is deplorable, his arm is average and his fielding percentage is below par. All that said, I love Graff. Keep him as your supersub, let him start a game or two a week. Pinch hit him here and there. Doing that, he can be very valuable.

TheBigHurt
04-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by DustyIsOverated1
Does anyone here think Tony should be the everyday starter at 2nd instead of Jimenez??? He sure is hitting the ball well.
WELL, yes but I would rather Willie, but what the hell are you going to do????

BE GOOD graffy

calebhatesyou
04-06-2003, 12:45 AM
By no means is he our best infielder.

i think he is our best fundemental guy in the feild at any given point. he may not have the range or the arm, but he will make the plays he's supposed to make. he'll make turning two look easy, or just eat the ball at second when he's not set right ( not throw it in the dug out like some guys have just trying to turn two). he'll make the throw, maybe not the strongest, but it won't get short hopped at 1st every 5th time. he is solid with in his frame of skill. the other guys aren't as stable at a fundamental level, although their (crede, jose, jeminez) ceiling is higher ( and that problem give them the nod on a day-to-day basis).

you might be right though about his production as an every day guy. i haven't witnessed him play every day for a while and i'm sure there is a reason for that. but i think from a defensive standpoint, he would provide some defensive consistency up the middle that the sox could use.

MHOUSE
04-06-2003, 01:18 AM
I liked Graffy when he had that hot streak last year with the two homerun game and 5 RBI or whatever it was. If he is hot then play him. Jimenez seems to do ok getting on base but his hitting and clutch play aren't nearly as good. I like Wee Willie as well. It'll be nice to see him back sometime.

Banix12
04-06-2003, 04:01 AM
It's a tough call cause with Tony you know what you are going to get, decent fundamentally sound defense and a fairly reliable bat. He also had shown in 2001 and 2000 that he can get on base at a pretty good clip.

That aside i think for now you still have to take Jimenez just cause of his youth, speed, and leadoff potential. He was too impressive in his call up last season for me to think about giving up on him as a regular.

Also, i'm not too worried about a lack of Graffanino he'll get a good amount of at bats as the only infield backup. Also i like him better in the utility man postion instead of Valentin or Jimenez. Valentin just seems to hit better when at shortstop and i'd rather see Jimenez work at just one postion.

Ol Aches & Pains
04-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by DustyIsOverated1

I said it last year, and I'll say it again now, Graffanino is a pretty decent utility infielder who can make a valuable contribution in a fill-in role. If you play him every day, he will kill you.

RichH55
04-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
I said it last year, and I'll say it again now, Graffanino is a pretty decent utility infielder who can make a valuable contribution in a fill-in role. If you play him every day, he will kill you.

Plus Jimenez is the future somewhere in that IF, so he needs the playing time.....I'm no sure I'm confortable with Graff or someone else leading off...Jimenez is a stretch as it is

valposoxfan
04-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Forget all of them....Aaron Miles is the best second baseman in the White Sox organization. He deserves a chance.

Daver
04-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Forget all of them....Aaron Miles is the best second baseman in the White Sox organization. He deserves a chance.

No,he's not even close.

valposoxfan
04-06-2003, 08:21 PM
I might have to disagree. For the last three springs Miles has impressed and come close to making the team. As far as the future, I feel Jimenez is the right man but Miles needed to come up to start the year. He had the best spring of any second baseman and continues to not get a chance in the majors....Aaron Miles deserves a chance.

Daver
04-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Aaron Miles deserves a chance.

Disagree all you want,it won't change the fact that he is 26 years old and finally made his way out of AA,after being drafted out of HS. Add to that the fact that he has competition in AAA from two guys that can field the position better than he does,how does this add up to him being the next in line?

He's had one season at AA that he swung the bat really well,and it carried over to hitting ST pitching well,but it does not equal being on a MLB roster.

Banix12
04-06-2003, 08:28 PM
I liked miles, i wouldn't be surprised if next year it's Jimenez at short and miles moves in at second base

lowesox
04-06-2003, 09:15 PM
I love Jimenez and he seems to be picking up steam. His only flawback is a lack of killer speed. But let's not forget that it wasn't long ago that he was considered to be a better player than Soriano. I really want to see what he can do over the course of a full season.

calebhatesyou
04-06-2003, 10:19 PM
if DJ plays more days like today than like in KC the point is mute

34 Inch Stick
04-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Tony always seems to hit well (above .300) for the first 150 at bats. After that the average seems to drop to the .260 to .270 level. He always teases you with the first 150. Those are the numbers for your typical backup.

I like Tony. However his D is average at best at SS and 3rd. He can handle second. He adds nothing on the bases. He cannot bunt. He is a backup.

MHOUSE
04-07-2003, 09:30 AM
Why can't he bunt? That comes down to coaching and just not being lazy I think. I mean when he struck out bunting on Thursday I think it was pathetic. But I still think he is a great backup and they should start him during his hot streaks. I definately like Tony G.

RichH55
04-08-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Why can't he bunt? That comes down to coaching and just not being lazy I think. I mean when he struck out bunting on Thursday I think it was pathetic. But I still think he is a great backup and they should start him during his hot streaks. I definately like Tony G.

At some point it is just a matter of execution. I seem to remember Singleton putting more effort into bunting then anyone on the team in practice and he just couldnt do it in the games. Granted he had plenty of other shortcomings as well, but I just seem to remember that one as well

MikeKreevich
04-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by daver
No,he's not even close.
Wrong. Aaron is very close.

RichH55
04-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat

Well that argument settles it

Unregistered
04-08-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well that argument settles it I too am convinced.

Daver
04-08-2003, 07:47 PM

Based on what?

MikeKreevich
04-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Based on what?
I didn't ask you what you based your opinion on.

Daver
04-08-2003, 08:31 PM
I didn't ask you what you based your opinion on.

I stated, in this thread, what my opinions are based on,perhaps you would have the courtesy to do the same?

MikeKreevich
04-08-2003, 09:09 PM
I stated, in this thread, what my opinions are based on,perhaps you would have the courtesy to do the same?
Sorry, I missed your reasons. My belief is based on watching him play and his stats last year. You probably know he was Southern League "Player of the Year", with 171 hits and 25 stolen bases. He is a hard nosed player with forearms the size of popeye's. If Jimenez keeps getting on base, we probably won't see him anytime soon. I thought Jeff Abbot was a can't miss prospect.

MarkEdward
04-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Sorry, I missed your reasons. My belief is based on watching him play and his stats last year. You probably know he was Southern League "Player of the Year", with 171 hits and 25 stolen bases. He is a hard nosed player with forearms the size of popeye's. If Jimenez keeps getting on base, we probably won't see him anytime soon. I thought Jeff Abbot was a can't miss prospect.

He was also 26 when he put up those numbers.