PDA

View Full Version : poor, poor, Griffey...

StepsInSC
04-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Okay this isn't Sox related but isn't this MB for all baseball stuff or is it just Sox?

Anyways Griffey dislocated his shoulder vs Cubs today, could be out 5 weeks to the whole season. Man, I'm not a fan of his especially, but I don't know how you can root against the greatest hitter of the 90s. I wanted to see him come back and be a star again, and have it be like the 90s when he and Thomas were the two best. Oh well, hope he heals fast.

kermittheefrog
04-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Okay this isn't Sox related but isn't this MB for all baseball stuff or is it just Sox?

Anyways Griffey dislocated his shoulder vs Cubs today, could be out 5 weeks to the whole season. Man, I'm not a fan of his especially, but I don't know how you can root against the greatest hitter of the 90s. I wanted to see him come back and be a star again, and have it be like the 90s when he and Thomas were the two best. Oh well, hope he heals fast.

You might just be forgetting someone. Maybe someone named Bonds.

WinningUgly!
04-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Don't you mean Grace? :D:

StepsInSC
04-05-2003, 08:31 PM

I wouldn't say I forgot, perhaps "conveniently forgot". Anyways that wasn't the point of the post...

kermittheefrog
04-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
I wouldn't say I forgot, perhaps "conveniently forgot". Anyways that wasn't the point of the post...

Bonds is still the best hitter of the 90's and deserves some credit.

jeremyb1
04-05-2003, 08:55 PM
i feel bad for griffey. i get tired of watching him get injured every season. its becoming too predictable. part of me wonders if this isn't karma for what he did to seattle.

StepsInSC
04-05-2003, 08:55 PM
lol I wasn't trying to start an argument and yet like always once gets started. Yes I realize what I said when I posted, and it was wrong, I just meant that I don't think any other player was as popular as Griffey during the 90s, and I really feel sorry for the guy.

Sheesh what is it with this board and arguing its like a hobby around here.

guillen4life13
04-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Thomas and Griffey were the best in the AL. Belle may come close, but ultimately, it was these two guys. Griffey was also really classy, which lots of players can't honestly say for themselves. I like Griffey a lot, and I wish he was fortunate enough to stay healthy, but I guess luck isn't on his side.

Zednem700
04-05-2003, 11:36 PM
Bonds is still the best hitter of the 90's and deserves some credit.

Hmm. Well, remember that there was no year zero so technically the 90's began 1991 and ended December 31st 2000. During those seasons, 91-00 Barry Bonds had a total of 1,300 Runs Created. Frank Thomas in the same period had 1,356. Griffey had 1198. Comiskey was pretty much a neutral park during most of that period while Bonds played in parks that were SLIGHTLY more pitcher friendly. They were so close in fact that the difference is almost certainly made up by Bonds having a few games in Colorado each year. RC gives credit for stolen bases and Bonds had 302 in that period (at a success rate of .7865) so as far as the hitting part goes, his RC should be brought down a little.

So its not so cut and dry that Bonds was the best hitter of the 90's. Best player, sure, gold glove outfield defense is worth a lot. Best hitter is certainly up for debate. The most amazing thing is seeing just how dominating Big Frank really was. He really was the best hitter in baseball. He was a right handed Ted Williams, its a shame so many people out there don't seem to realize that. Heck for his CAREER Sammy Sosa has created 1352 runs.

TheBigHurt
04-05-2003, 11:52 PM
MY goodness this is now a yearly thing...MY brother a Griff fan is upset to say the least

BE GOOD grif and dont get injured, sonny

calebhatesyou
04-06-2003, 12:12 AM
i remember frank as the guy who brought a true tripple crown threat from '92-'97 atleast. you had cecil feilder leading the league in HRs and like olerud or militor leading the AL in AVE. frank was leading either of those categories while keeping pace in RBIs ( this would tend to follow suit). even bonds, who is considered jesus with a baseball bat right now, doesn't do this. he either sacrifices ave for power or vice versa. although frank did do some sacrificing of his own, but that was giving up first in one for top five in all three. this really just adds to the guy who posted before me.

Saracen
04-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Griffey was also really classy, which lots of players can't honestly say for themselves.
I'll never forget Griffey grabbing his crotch while looking in Sparky Anderson's direction a few years back. Total lack of class - I've rooted against Griffey ever since then.

MHOUSE
04-06-2003, 01:23 AM
I feel bad for any athlete who gets injured, fights back, steps onto the field and goes down again within a few games. I see it all the time in soccer. Even if you hate the guy it's still heartbreaking. They work so hard for so long to come back for a week and then roll the same ankle or tear the same ligament. It's really bad. The Cinncinati fans have got to be hurt. I mean what if this happened to Maggs or Paulie. (knock on wood!) Makes ya think....<sigh>