PDA

View Full Version : Additional Renovation Ideas

anewman35
04-05-2003, 02:42 PM
I was at the game yesterday and I really like most of what they did (and never really thought they needed to do a whole lot, anyways), but I just thought I'd start a thread for some other renovation ideas beyond the typical upper deck renovation/home run porch/green seats ideas. Some of these are quick easy things that they probably already have planned, some are things that would be cool but I don't think there's much of a chance. And add your own to the list!

-A lot of the signs outside or on the ballpark are still in the old white and blue colors, and at least one I saw was looking really rusty. These should be repainted in the new color scheme.

-Same goes for the big light green light polls outside and on the ramps, and the blue slat things by the esclators.

-The backs of scoreboards/billboards are blank, I think they'd look good with some giant Sox logos on them

-Along 35th st, they had banners promoting the Baseball as America thing. Instead of that, why not big Sox banners or flags from every lightpost?

-In the same area, there should be some sort of historical marker in front of where the old park used to be. I know they have markers where the infield was, but unless you knew, you could go right down 35th st and never know it was there.

-They've made all the concourses look really nice, but one really uninteresting part of the park is the ramps. Why not put something on all those blank walls? Anything would be nice, but I think it would be really neat to have each ramp covered from floor to celing with pictures of White Sox history in the same time period as the area of the concourse that the ramp opens up into.

-This is something I'm sure they're going to go once they redo the upper deck, but the railings up there really need painting

-Another thing they probably plan, enclose the upper deck with windows, like was shown in one of the pictures

-I like the new videoscreen, but I sort of don't like all that blank green space up there now? I know it's far fetched, but why not get rid of the two ads on the sides of the videoscreen and fill both those areas (and the green space) with the score/count/etc, and all sorts of stats about the batter? Or maybe put both lineups up there? (I like how the lineup is now done by name, but I miss having both teams up there all the time)

-On a related note, there's enough space between the ends of the scoreboards on the upper deck facing and the LED boards to fit another couple segments of board. Why not put up a pitch count board or some other stat? They could probably even fit in another board and an ad, which could pretty much pay for itself.

-When they put up the LED boards, they took down the retired numbers. They should go back up somewhere (the obvious place seems to be the Club facing). And they should redo those banners they had in black and silver.

Ok, that's all I can think of right now. Any thoughts?

jortafan
04-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
They've made all the concourses look really nice, but one really uninteresting part of the park is the ramps. Why not put something on all those blank walls? Anything would be nice, but I think it would be really neat to have each ramp covered from floor to celing with pictures of White Sox history in the same time period as the area of the concourse that the ramp opens up into.

-I like the new videoscreen, but I sort of don't like all that blank green space up there now? I know it's far fetched, but why not get rid of the two ads on the sides of the videoscreen...

Get rid of the ads??!?!!!

Do you realize how much ad revenue you'd be depriving JR of? Are you trying to give the man a coronary?

Seriously, I wish it were possible. It almost seemed like the advertising on the center field board was more dominant now than before, even though the board has the new and improved video screen.

And on the other point, I like that idea. I wonder what happened to the elongated mural they used to have in the outfield depicting 100 years of Sox history. Would it be possible to incorporate pieces of that?

joecrede
04-05-2003, 04:11 PM
The Cell is slowly but surely becoming a much more pleasant place to spend an afternoon or evening at. That sterile feeling has just about been eliminated. It's amazing what changing a color scheme can do.

I was most impressed with the way the the LED boards added to a cozier feeling. Sure they are used mostly for adds, but they illuminated the entire place, adding color where there was concrete before.

I think I saw this in one of the renderings, but I'd like to see the left, left-center concourse dotted with trees. Maybe accompany that with a few nice wooden benches. Give that area a plaza feel. The other thing, and this a small one, replace the steel railings with black ones.

The most important thing after renovating the upper deck though is get rid of those blue seats. Forest green is the way to go.

dllrbll7
04-05-2003, 06:27 PM
They need to get the retired numbers back up. I think the retired numbers used to be on the club level so they were just covered up with paint not the led boards. But either way they need something

kevingrt
04-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Just went to the game today, and noticed they forgot something when changing the Jumbotron and everything... THEY DON"T HAVE A CLOCK!!!!

MRKARNO
04-05-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Just went to the game today, and noticed they forgot something when changing the Jumbotron and everything... THEY DON"T HAVE A CLOCK!!!!

I remember seeing a clock when I went on Friday. It was under the big Jumbotron but in the same scheme as the new stat board

soxnut
04-05-2003, 07:37 PM
They should put a clock where the McDonalds sign is. A clock just like the one on the old Monster Scoreboard. I have emailed that idea quite a few times over the last few years.

In a couple of the renderings it looks as though they are going to somehow eliminate some of the exterior ramps, so I odn't know if they would bother putting any signage or pictures on them at this point.

I really would like to see some type of building and plaza on the corner of Wentowrth and 35th that would house a gift shop and a new Sox Hall of Fame, something that would be open all year. Also the plaza could be a pre and post-game gathering area for fans. This building could also house the Sox offices. Then use the 35th and Sheilds corner as a direct entrance to the park. The top of the building could be used as another pregame party are that looks directly into the ballpark, as well as give a great view of the skyline.

Put trees, plants, grass, bushes, mosaics and statues along 35th, and then call 35th street----Comiskey Parkway.
:D:

Hangar18
04-05-2003, 07:39 PM
ive got 2 great ideas, and im going to reserve one post each for them:

Idea 1: I noticed how they want to make a "grand entrance" to the park and put it in the Left Field Corner. Instead of butting up this new Structure to the stadium, why dont they cut off about 50 feet worth of the upper deck to incorporate this new Building into the stadium itself? In other words, the upper deck, and club level wont stretch all the way to the LF Foul Pole like it currently does. It would end 50 feet earlier, and instead of the "hamster" ramp exit, this new "Building" would be flush with the concourse. Has anyone been to that Connies Pizza on Archer?? THAT IS WHAT THEY SHOULD DO with this building. Give it a "Warehouse/Loft" kind of feel, with all the exposed Brick, and Exposed Wood Beams. It is a really warm feeling and would harken back to the working-class roots of the South Side. ALSO, everything on the concourse, from the LF Foul Pole to the Scoreboard in Center Field, should restaurants and bars, open to the outside and open Year Round for Fans to visit. they could make the entrance to these Places from this new "Warehouse/Loft" entrance/atrium.

Hangar18
04-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Idea 2: With the entire lf concourse area being open to these new restaurants and bars......THEY SHOULD MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE OLD CHICAGO, giving it a Faux storefront kind of look to these places, kind of Like How Maggianos in OakBrook looks. You think your walking into a little storefront, and inside is a cool looking place. Think How the replay on SportsCenter would look, Joe Crede hitting a home run to Left Field, the camera following the ball, showing the "buildings" in LF, the people on the concourse having a blast, drinks in hand. ANYPERSON anywhere would automatically Associate the LF concourse with "Old Town Chicago" and of course, the White SOX. SOX MGMT has forgotten how WE were the ones who were trailblazers as far as somthing new and Cutting Edge. Bill Veeck was known for that and we should be outdoing all these new stadiums.
IDEA 3: back in the day, Veeck thought it would be cool to have an "exploding scoreboard", complete with lights and fireworks shooting out of the turrets on top of the board. well, somehow, this new scoreboard just got Bigger, and with way more advertising on it. We should set out to make this ScoreBoard the Best IN Baseball. Heres how. Anyone remember how VanHalen got into the Guiness book of records by having the brightest/hightest number of lights in a stage show? Well, instead of those dinky lightbulbs that currently ring the entire board, use those Bigger, Brighter AIRCRAFT LIGHTS !!!!. and on the outside of that, use the dinky bulbs they have now, and make them Colored Bulbs, any color they like. THEN, when Thomas or Ordonez hits a HOMERUN, the fans and players alike know to Automatically look to the scoreboard, to watch it LIGHT UP, and Really Give a Bright SHOW. THe scoreboard is one of the many claims to fame the SOX have, (and everyone has copied) theres no reason WE SHOULDNT HAVE THE BEST SCOREBOARD. PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD should want to come to the CELL, in hopes of Seeing that THing get LIT UP by a SOX HOMER and say they saw it in person!!!! People from China, ENGLAND, Tucson, Keokuk IA, should be flocking to the Cell, so want to see that Board LIGHT UP for a sox homer.

nixsox
04-06-2003, 12:10 AM
I think they should add a pitchometer on the top of the scoreboard. Like the old monster was. I thought the LED boards were cool but they should do more than just advertising on them. You know J.R. wouldn't like that though.

kevingrt
04-06-2003, 10:52 AM
They should cut off rows from the Upper Deck and the little thing in Centerfield, they should extend that and add actual seats to that. That would be kool!

hsnterprize
04-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
They need to get the retired numbers back up. I think the retired numbers used to be on the club level so they were just covered up with paint not the led boards. But either way they need something The Sox say they'll put the retired numbers up after the All-Star break.

SaltyPretzel
04-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Official A.P. press release:

After numerous fan complaints that it was too cold and sterile, the White Sox announced that as part of the $60 million dollar naming deal with U.S. Cellular, the hair of Terry Savarise would be "retrofitted" to the year 1983, the year the Sox won 99 games in route to the A.L. West division title.

"It's absolutely gorgeous." stated former Chicago Blackhawk Billy Gardner before speeding off in his Chrysler Laser. "The fans will be pleasantly surprised."

Post press conference entertainment was provided by the group "Men Without Hats".

ewokpelts
04-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Hi.

In regards to the poster who wanted a plaza/office building at 35th and Shields, the Sox are already planning something similar. When I bought my season tickets, My ticket rep told me that they are going to gut out the current sox offices(save for the gm and Uncle Jerry maybe) and convert that space to shops, and other areas for the public. They are then to be moved to a new building that will stand on the Parking lot @ Gate 6/7. I've also heard plans for a "grand entrance" at that same location, so we'll see what happens.
Gene

dllrbll7
04-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Hi.

In regards to the poster who wanted a plaza/office building at 35th and Shields, the Sox are already planning something similar. When I bought my season tickets, My ticket rep told me that they are going to gut out the current sox offices(save for the gm and Uncle Jerry maybe) and convert that space to shops, and other areas for the public. They are then to be moved to a new building that will stand on the Parking lot @ Gate 6/7. I've also heard plans for a "grand entrance" at that same location, so we'll see what happens.
Gene

It may just be me but it seems like everyone has heard different things from there ticket rep. I cant keep track of all the promises ive heard about but i remember hearinng alot of them. Anyone else feel that they are goin to do a whole lot to fullfill all their promises theyve made to the season ticket holders?

hsnterprize
04-08-2003, 06:58 AM
What I'd like to see once the renovations are done is some marquee-like signs above the entrances. I'd like to see a replica of the center-field scoreboard put up near the main gates. In the middle of this sign, instead of a video screen, how about a dot matrix board with messages like what's showing in the sign on 35th and Wentworth right now? I'd actually would like 2 of those signs...one hanging over the main entrance behind home plate, and another one near the new main gate on 35th and Wentworth that's being proposed.

So it would look a little Wrigley-esque. So what? Wrigley Field doesn't have a monopoly of "marquee signs" above the entrance to baseball stadiums across the country. I think that wold be a nice signature touch.