PDA

View Full Version : Another Mariotti Sox Column


Lip Man 1
04-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Another (in my opinion) positive Sox column from Jay Mariotti today.

He still thinks this team will win, praises future star Joe Crede and takes shots at the upper deck. (which everyone from Pale Hose George who created this web site, to author Dan Helpinstein to most fans have done.)

Lip

hsnterprize
04-05-2003, 12:40 PM
I saw Jay in the press box yesterday. I tried to talk to him about the Sox article he wrote the other day, but he was pretty busy. He remembered me from previous meetings, so it wasn't too hard to approach him. By the way...as if this is really important, but he's a U.S. Cellular subscriber, too. So every time he uses his phone, just like when I use my phone, we help pay for the ballpark's renovations. Perhaps he might, and I do stress MIGHT be coming around. What do you think?

Saracen
04-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Perhaps he might, and I do stress MIGHT be coming around. What do you think?

Sure seems that way lately. Who kidnapped the real Mariotti?

WinningUgly!
04-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Another (in my opinion) positive Sox column from Jay Mariotti today.

He still thinks this team will win, praises future star Joe Crede and takes shots at the upper deck. (which everyone from Pale Hose George who created this web site, to author Dan Helpinstein to most fans have done.)

Lip So PHG, Dan Helpingstine & Jay Mariotti all 3 have taken shots at the upper deck? Something tells me that only 2 of these 3 have ever actually sat in the upper deck...& Jay ain't one of 'em. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
So PHG, Dan Helpingstine & Jay Mariotti all 3 have taken shots at the upper deck? Something tells me that only 2 of these 3 have ever actually sat in the upper deck...& Jay ain't one of 'em. :D:

What, are you kidding? I have a wife, two kids, and a mortgage. I wouldn't know the first thing about the lower bowl if I wasn't getting the Comiskey Upgrade on my U.D. seats! :smile:

I think WSI ought to buy an entire section up there. We'll paint a giant flying sock onto the blue seats and throw trash on Flubs fans seated beneath us.

:gulp:

WinningUgly!
04-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
What, are you kidding? I have a wife, two kids, and a mortgage. I wouldn't know the first thing about the lower bowl if I wasn't getting the Comiskey Upgrade on my U.D. seats! :smile:

I think WSI ought to buy an entire section up there. We'll paint a giant flying sock onto the blue seats and throw trash on Flubs fans seated beneath us.

:gulp:

LMAO! It would have to be the very last row, all the way down the left or right field line.

Dan H
04-06-2003, 08:28 AM
Mariotti isn't wrong about everything. One thing he has been right about is the continual denial routine the Sox management put up as reaction to Comiskey Park criticism. Fan bashers say no one complained about the upper deck in the early '90's and that is not so. It was just that the Sox were winning and the crowds were large and so the upper deck seemed like less of an issue. But more than one time I heard White Sox management react angerily to fan feedback while on the radio and basically tell the caller it was tough if he didn't like it.

At least the Sox have awaken and tried to make some upgrades in the ballpark during the past few years. Trying to please fans is better than telling them to go jump. But the upper deck is still the upper deck.

RichH55
04-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
Mariotti isn't wrong about everything. One thing he has been right about is the continual denial routine the Sox management put up as reaction to Comiskey Park criticism. Fan bashers say no one complained about the upper deck in the early '90's and that is not so. It was just that the Sox were winning and the crowds were large and so the upper deck seemed like less of an issue. But more than one time I heard White Sox management react angerily to fan feedback while on the radio and basically tell the caller it was tough if he didn't like it.

At least the Sox have awaken and tried to make some upgrades in the ballpark during the past few years. Trying to please fans is better than telling them to go jump. But the upper deck is still the upper deck.

They seem to be fixing the problem......You can harp all day about the mistakes of the past, but the most important thing is an ability and willingness to fix those mistakes and try not to make them in the future....I guess you could say that same thing about KW....of course I'm in the optimist camp

gosox41
04-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Another (in my opinion) positive Sox column from Jay Mariotti today.

He still thinks this team will win, praises future star Joe Crede and takes shots at the upper deck. (which everyone from Pale Hose George who created this web site, to author Dan Helpinstein to most fans have done.)

Lip

We all know the upper deck it high and steep (though I've been to newer stadiums where the upper deck is close to the same height and same steepness) but why does Mariotti need to say the same thing every column. We're all aware the fans aren't happy with the upper deck. It's guys like Mariotti that won't let it die that keep the myth going.

My advice to jay is try to stay on current events. He's been complaining about the Upper Deck since the Park opened. I know he doesn't like it. It's time to move on. It's good to see that Jay got past making up facts to make a story but whatever little respect I had for him that day went out the window. He' s got no integrity whatsoever. I don't care if kisses Reinsdorf's behind (literally), he is a lousy journalist just for the fact that he makes up stories.

Bob