PDA

View Full Version : Tejada Derby / Sox Mentioned

Lip Man 1
04-05-2003, 01:23 PM
This week in The Sporting News, senior writer Ken Rosenthal has his take on the "Tejada Derby." Where will he end up next year.

He lists 11 clubs in the running.....

#1 (naturally) are the Yankees . His comment "Derek Jeter could move to 3rd base."

#2 (and this is scary) are the Cubs . "Never mind that Alex Gonzales is signed through 2004."

#11 (naturally) are the White Sox . His comment is particularly telling about what the priorities are in this organization. "The fit is perfect --but the price isn't."

Lip

kermittheefrog
04-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Tejada isn't going anywhere so it doesn't matter anyway.

SoxxoS
04-05-2003, 02:58 PM
What do you mean Kermit? Tejada is going to be a free agent according to the A's front office...

jeremyb1
04-05-2003, 04:34 PM
i don't know lip. obviously we all wish the front office would spend more money and i'm not trying to defend ownership, but we're certainly not the only cost conscious team in baseball.

Brian26
04-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Never say never. A lot of things can happen between now and the end of the year. This team is loaded with talent, and a lot of guys are already commanding big salaries. I think the bottom line will be the performance of the team on the field. If you see the Sox win the AL pennant, I think Jerry will open up the purse strings and re-sign Colon and maybe go after Tejada. If this team tanks again (for the 3rd year in a row), I expect Colon and Frank to be gone.

hose
04-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
This week in The Sporting News, senior writer Ken Rosenthal has his take on the "Tejada Derby." Where will he end up next year.

#1 (naturally) are the Yankees . His comment "Derek Jeter could move to 3rd base."

#2 (and this is scary) are the Cubs . "Never mind that Alex Gonzales is signed through 2004."

#11 (naturally) are the White Sox . His comment is particularly telling about what the priorities are in this organization. "The fit is perfect --but the price isn't."

Lip

I really don't see how the Sox can take on Tejada's salary, but if they can pull it off then I would be beating a drum and yelling "TEJADA" like the A's fans do.

SouthSideHitman
04-05-2003, 05:19 PM
I would love to see Miggy in silver and black as much as the next guy. That being said, if the Sox go out and make a big signing this offseason, I'd like to see it be Colon and/or another major starter rather than another power-hitting righty. Even a good catcher or center-fielder would be a better pickup seeing as Jose does very well and is the heart of the club.

joecrede
04-05-2003, 05:37 PM
I think Tejada is overvalued because of the position he plays and who he is compared to by the media. He's not A-Rod and he's not Nomar (though he is 3 years younger.) I think there's a very good chance that whoever signs him will be disappointed.

kermittheefrog
04-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
What do you mean Kermit? Tejada is going to be a free agent according to the A's front office...

I was thinking in terms of a trade. As for long term, I don't think Tejada will be worth the money he asks for.

A.T. Money
04-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Tejeda is a superstar, but it's hard to turn your back on "Hose" right now.

calebhatesyou
04-06-2003, 12:54 AM
i agree with joecrede. i certainly wouldn't like him in a sox uni. also, i think he would only be a dissapointment.

TheBigHurt
04-06-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

LOL, i remember when we were "talking" about get A-Rod and when the Metropolitans were as well, which Met fans still are upset about today to say the least

BE GOOD tajada, we would welcome you with manos glove wide open

Banix12
04-06-2003, 05:38 AM
Yeah, i honestly wouldn't bother with him for the price he is going to be asking for. Sure he gives you power but if you look at the stats he honestly doesn't give you much more than what we already have. We would be basically paying a lot more for Jose Valentin with a little more in the home run dept and about 20 fewer Strike outs. Defensively he is just Valentin with a few less throwing errors. If i had to choose between Valentin at 3-5 million and Tejada at 10+ million (which he would be sure to ask for). I'd just sign up Valentin again and enjoy the defensive roller coaster.

Stoky44
04-06-2003, 10:12 AM
I would rather spend the money to keep Colon or make Buehrle happy. We all know how this team was with good offense and not good pitching.

JUGGERNAUT
04-08-2003, 09:03 PM
range. A guy with quickness to cover the middle like Vizquel used to do. And of course someone who can hit reasonably well.

I definitely think 2 of Frank/Lee/Koney are gone next yr. If I had to guess :
Frank stays
Koney & Lee traded/gone

I would re-sign Jose to play 1B. His slugging % is comparable to a 1B & his range & quickness would be a major improvement over Koney.

Borchard goes to LF and either a free agent or Rowand plays CF.

That will free up 11mil and add another 15mil to that for a championship run.

bc2k
04-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by espnjohn1
range. A guy with quickness to cover the middle like Vizquel used to do. And of course someone who can hit reasonably well.

I was thinking Vizquel too. Not someone like him, but Vizquel himself. When is his contract up? How old is he?

Banix12
04-08-2003, 10:30 PM
I'd say lets stick to this years championship run before we start to wonder about next year. Yeah we could use a guy with range but I don't think that guy is Tejada especially at that price. I'm not sure that Valentin would really want to stick around if we we told him we were going to make him a 1b, he wants to play SS. I know that Konerko and Lee are struggling a bit for now but i doubt they go ahead with what you propose. First, you don't trade away Konerko, arguably one of your best players in the last few years, so you can put a 33 year old shortstop there who has a career .248 avg. and has never played first base. Frank and Lee are a different story since both are essentially DH's, though Lee has seemed to improve defensively over the last few years. One of those guys might be gone and Valentin might have to take a nice little paycut to stay next year. Hopefully though we get it going this year put up a strong run into the playoffs and we can increase payroll a bit next year.

RichH55
04-09-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Banix12
I'd say lets stick to this years championship run before we start to wonder about next year. Yeah we could use a guy with range but I don't think that guy is Tejada especially at that price. I'm not sure that Valentin would really want to stick around if we we told him we were going to make him a 1b, he wants to play SS. I know that Konerko and Lee are struggling a bit for now but i doubt they go ahead with what you propose. First, you don't trade away Konerko, arguably one of your best players in the last few years, so you can put a 33 year old shortstop there who has a career .248 avg. and has never played first base. Frank and Lee are a different story since both are essentially DH's, though Lee has seemed to improve defensively over the last few years. One of those guys might be gone and Valentin might have to take a nice little paycut to stay next year. Hopefully though we get it going this year put up a strong run into the playoffs and we can increase payroll a bit next year.

I'll be watching the Jose situation closely this year.....I heard him again referred to as the unofficial captain of the white sox.....A Willie Harris/Jimenez combo or even a Jimenez/Hummell one isnt exactly blowing my skirt up, so we will have to see how it plays out