PDA

View Full Version : Moose Skowron Question

Paulwny
04-05-2003, 10:40 AM
I read in yesterday's Southtowns that Skowron was to be part of the opening day ceremonies with Pierce, Landis, Black Jack, etc. What's the reason for this sox love affair with this ex-yankmee?
I realize he was born and still lives in the Chi area, he played a couple of years for the sox when his career was ending and has worked for the sox.
Over the years he's attended yankmee old timer's games and reunions at yankmee stadium and more times then I care to remember he has said to yankmee announcers that he'll always be a yankee and always root for the yankees.
When older bb fans hear the name Skowron they think yankmees not sox.
Why this love affair?

Daver
04-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I read in yesterday's Southtowns that Skowron was to be part of the opening day ceremonies with Pierce, Landis, Black Jack, etc. What's the reason for this sox love affair with this ex-yankmee?
I realize he was born and still lives in the Chi area, he played a couple of years for the sox when his career was ending and has worked for the sox.
Over the years he's attended yankmee old timer's games and reunions at yankmee stadium and more times then I care to remember he has said to yankmee announcers that he'll always be a yankee and always root for the yankees.
When older bb fans hear the name Skowron they think yankmees not sox.
Why this love affair?

Because he works for the White Sox in the PR dept. and does a lot of game appearances for them.If he didn't you would never hear his name mentioned.

Paulwny
04-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by daver
Because he works for the White Sox in the PR dept. and does a lot of game appearances for them.If he didn't you would never hear his name mentioned.

They should make him sign a loyalty oath !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guillen4life13
04-05-2003, 09:11 PM
His cousin was my p.e. teacher for the last two years.

HITMEN OF 77
04-06-2003, 11:53 AM
When he came over from the Yankees in '64 I think he had some big hits in a lot of key games that kept the Sox in the pennant chase. And of course, since he was from Chicago, an instant fan favorite!

Paulwny
04-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
When he came over from the Yankees in '64 I think he had some big hits in a lot of key games that kept the Sox in the pennant chase. And of course, since he was from Chicago, an instant fan favorite!

Who does he root for when the sox play the yanks? He's employed by the sox but.....................

Brian26
04-06-2003, 12:19 PM
Bottom line, he works cheap.

Lip Man 1
04-06-2003, 01:15 PM
And if Daver is successful you may be seeing him in the future here at WSI!

Lip

Ventura23Fan
04-07-2003, 12:46 AM
My father is a doctor and Moose was a patient of his once. A few times he gave my dad some nice tickets, so Moose is ok in my book. One time he gave us Roger Maris t-shirts, back when Maris still held the record.

Juan Pizarro
04-07-2003, 11:44 AM
The REAL reason was that Moose was an All-Star when with the Sox, and the ceremony honored Sox players who were All-Stars.

thecell
04-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Moose is a great guy. I have a signed picture of him on my wall...right next to the Mickey Mantle autograph he got for me. Great to chat with anytime I see him.

AMestan
04-08-2003, 11:15 PM
I know Moose and he's a great guy. Moose will always be a Yankee and he holds the record for most World Series Home Runs by a player playing in both leagues (Yankees and Dodgers). Moose told me that he wanted to play for the Sox but someone in the Sox front office pissed off his father when he was a senior at Weber. Moose went to Purdue to play football and baseball and then signed with the Yankees. During the late sixties and throughout the seventies Moose and Al Smith did a lot of work with the Park District. Moose and Al Smith were at Gage and Sherman Park thoughout the summer when I was a kid running baseball camps.

ode to veeck
04-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Moose was a big fan favorite while he played with the Sox. In spite of his past on the Yankees, they loved him in Pale Hose at Comiskey!