PDA

View Full Version : Hey Grobber Sox fans aren't the story!

hose
04-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Sammy hitting 500 homers is a remarkable feat despite what Mike Schmidt says.

There you have it, this SOX fan acknowledges Sammy is a great slugger and has a very good chance to get into the HoF some day.

Now let me ask you what difference does it make what Sox fans have to say about Sammy's 500th homer?

When Big Hurt or Maggs wins a A.L. MVP crown I wont ask Cub fans for validation.

kevingrt
04-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by hose

There you have it, this SOX fan acknowledges Sammy is a great slugger and has a very good chance to get into the HoF some day.

Now let me ask you what difference does it make what Sox fans have to say about Sammy's 500th homer?

When Big Hurt or Maggs wins a A.L. MVP crown I wont ask Cub fans for validation.

I'll have to agree with you on that hose!

WinningUgly!
04-05-2003, 11:34 AM

I'm kinda curious about how Sammy's teams have done over his career, compared to the teams of other members of the 500 HR club. I'd love to see a list of career winning percentages. :D:

fuzzy_patters
04-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I'm kinda curious about how Sammy's teams have done over his career, compared to the teams of other members of the 500 HR club. I'd love to see a list of career winning percentages. :D:

Sammy's winning percentage probably isn't too bad. He did play for the 1990-1992 White Sox, after all. :)

TheBigHurt
04-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Sammy's winning percentage probably isn't too bad. He did play for the 1990-1992 White Sox, after all. :)

LOL, LMAO POTW?????????

Lip Man 1
04-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Actually Sammy never played on the 1992 team.

He was traded in late March to the Cubs with Ken Patterson for George Bell (who was gone from the Sox after the 1993 playoffs ended because of his part in the post season controversy involving manager Gene Lamont.)

Lip

hose
04-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
I'll have to agree with you on that hose!

Kev I don't know if you were listening to Grobber on AM 1000 this morning, but I'll mention it because some of the board is from out of town.

Les casts out and then sets the hook into a few callers that rip Sammy, Tommy then berates Sox fans.

Chicago Sports Radio 101 : after the Bears season is over and talked about for 3 months start in on Sox vs. Cub fans.

DrCrawdad
04-05-2003, 08:03 PM
I like Les but it's always Cubs vs. Sox to him. Hey, it's probably a great way to draw calls and listeners.

I wasn't able to listen to Les' show today but I did email him the following. Did anyone hear if Les responded on air?

Les & Tommy,

Congratulations to Sammy for the 500th HR.

Les, when Ernie Banks hit his 500th HR was there as much hoopla? How many were in attendance when Ernie hit #500?

- DrCrawdad

hose
04-06-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I like Les but it's always Cubs vs. Sox to him. Hey, it's probably a great way to draw calls and listeners.

I wasn't able to listen to Les' show today but I did email him the following. Did anyone hear if Les responded on air?

Not sure...when a Cub caller called Sox fans "whiners and punks"
and Tommy started laughing I turned the radio off. That might have been the straw that broke the camels back. Why should I listen to Tommy Williams anyway? Les is hard enough to take on his own :D:

I haven't listened to the Score besides Swicka for months now. Looks like ESPN is down to talking baseball with John Rooney for me.

DrCrawdad
04-06-2003, 10:07 AM
Not sure...when a Cub caller called Sox fans "whiners and punks"
and Tommy started laughing I turned the radio off. That might have been the straw that broke the camels back. Why should I listen to Tommy Williams anyway? Les is hard enough to take on his own :D:

I haven't listened to the Score besides Swicka for months now. Looks like ESPN is down to talking baseball with John Rooney for me.

Les loves to stir the Cubs vs. Sox cauldron. That's why awhile back when there was a discussion here about Les' comments on the Sox defense I brought up the Cubs defense. When I brought up the Cubs VIC lost it, but I pointed out that when Les talks about the Sox it's always fair to diss the Cubs.

hsnterprize
04-06-2003, 11:07 AM
I talked with Les opening day, and I'll give him this much credit...even though he's a Cub fan, he'll give the Sox their due when they deserve it. He'll also acknowledge, just like he did yesterday morning, that Sox fans aren't really that interested in what the Cubs are doing unless they're losing. He told me personally that if there's one thing he notices about this site, is that many of the people who post on it hate the Cubs winning more than the Sox losing.

He told me he enjoyed being a guest on the WSI Celebrity Chat, and he was prepared for a lot of questions that weren't asked. To his detrement, he did say that Sox fans do often whine too much when things aren't going well. He pointed out many of the posts written when the Sox lost 3 straight in K.C. as an example.

When Tommy said "Sammy Sosa was the biggest thing to happen to Chicago baseball", I wasn't sure how to react to that statement. Now, I would've been giddy if I was a Cub fan and heard Tommy say such a thing. I tried to look at that statement objectively, but I just couldn't agree with him. I'll concede that Sammy is the BIG DRAW for many fans who go to Wrigley or wherever the Cubs are on the road. He's a very popular player, and obviously, he's a big reason why many people are interested in Chicago baseball. We know the Cubs aren't that good, but his homers are often featured on SportsCenter, and we know that the Cubs are more popular than the Sox anyway .

DrCrawdad
04-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
[B]I talked with Les opening day, and I'll give him this much credit...even though he's a Cub fan, he'll give the Sox their due when they deserve it. He'll also acknowledge, just like he did yesterday morning, that Sox fans aren't really that interested in what the Cubs are doing unless they're losing. He told me personally that if there's one thing he notices about this site, is that many of the people who post on it hate the Cubs winning more than the Sox losing.

He told me he enjoyed being a guest on the WSI Celebrity Chat, and he was prepared for a lot of questions that weren't asked. To his detrement, he did say that Sox fans do often whine too much when things aren't going well. He pointed out many of the posts written when the Sox lost 3 straight in K.C. as an example.

Les does give the Sox credit. And Les has correctly identified holes in the Sox team. But Les overlooks the ways of many of his Cub fan friends. For each of the things Lesí said about Sox fans, I could go counterpoint with Cub fans things.

For example, it could just as well be said that Cub fans donít care about the Sox unless there losing. Iíd point to the Cub fan reaction after the Sox lost 3 in KC. The White Sox MLB board was filled with Cub fans gloating about the Cubs and putting down the Sox. The Cubs MLB board, where many there say that they donít care about the Sox, was filled with glee at the Sox stumble. Chicagoís Reactionary Sports Radio (Afternoon Thunder included) was overflowing with Cub fans prideful put-downs of the Sox.

One more counterpoint, you say Les said how Sox fans overreacted to the 3 game skid. Well what about Cub fans fantasies that taking 2 of 3 in NYC meant that they were on a World Series march?

Banix12
04-06-2003, 10:20 PM
You know hitting 500 hr's is an amazing feat but then so is hitting 499 or 501, why do we get so excited over big round numbers? Why do they have to cut away from Liefer and the expos (i'm just curious to see what he does playing everyday) on espn to watch a potential home run that makes his total divisible by 100? It's kinda stupid when you think about it.

hsnterprize
04-07-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
One more counterpoint, you say Les said how Sox fans overreacted to the 3 game skid. Well what about Cub fans fantasies that taking 2 of 3 in NYC meant that they were on a World Series march? I asked him if he was starting to print Cubs World Series tickets. He laughed and returned with, "Are you already starting to ask stupid questions?" It was in fun, but I wasn't the only one ripping him about the Cubs at that time.