PDA

View Full Version : Who was booed and who was cheered.

MRKARNO
04-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Notice, that is not a question

Booed:
Manuel
Gordon
Kimm
Koch
Blagojevich

Cheered:
Valentin
Ordoņez
Thomas
Konerko (I dont know why)

Everyone else pretty much was cheered softly.

A.T. Money
04-04-2003, 10:26 PM
I don't think the Sox should have been booed after 3 games. Especially in the home opener.

Konerko05
04-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Booed:
Manuel
Gordon
Kimm
Koch
Blagojevich

Cheered:
Valentin
Ordoņez
Thomas

Why did Koch and Gordon get booed? Just because of one game? We sure know how to make our new players feel welcome.

A.T. Money
04-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05
Why did Koch and Gordon get booed? Just because of one game? We sure know how to make our new players feel welcome.

No kidding. How embarrassing. And Kimm? What did he do? At least he found the error of his ways and switched sides. That deserves applause.

HawkDJ
04-04-2003, 10:29 PM
White was also booed. Buehrle and Colon got some pretty loud cheers though. I'd add them.

We're a city that hasn't had a World Champ in ages. You can't blame us if we get annoyed at terrible baseball.

npdempse
04-04-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05

I was looking at Koch on the Jumbotron; he was next to Kelly and they were both laughing as he got booed, seemed like they were taking it as a "welcome to the South Side" where the fans are paying attention.

DrCrawdad
04-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
I was looking at Koch on the Jumbotron; he was next to Kelly and they were both laughing as he got booed, seemed like they were taking it as a "welcome to the South Side" where the fans are paying attention.

I wouldn't have booed, but heck we want to win and demand results. I like that in a way.

I liked that Frank got cheered in his last ABs at Comiskey last season. Although Frank seemed to take it the wrong way.

I noticed too the standing O that Esteban got when he left the game. Then too the fans sure cheered Koch when he K'd the side to end the WHITE SOX WINNER!

A.T. Money
04-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
White was also booed. Buehrle and Colon got some pretty loud cheers though. I'd add them.

We're a city that hasn't had a World Champ in ages. You can't blame us if we get annoyed and terrible baseball.

It's been a whole 3 games dude! I can see if July rolls around and we're not performing, but damn.

A.T. Money
04-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I wouldn't have booed, but heck we want to win and demand results. I like that in a way.

I liked that Frank got cheered in his last ABs at Comiskey last season. Although Frank seemed to take it the wrong way.

I noticed too the standing O that Esteban got when he left the game. Then too the fans sure cheered Koch when he K'd the side to end the WHITE SOX WINNER!

Right, I guess that shows the fans are forgiving and you'll be praised when you perform. But when you're sucking, be prepared to get booed.

MRKARNO
04-04-2003, 11:26 PM
Kimm got booed because he was the Cubs manager. I didnt boo him. I did boo Koch and Gordon. Gordon as much as for being an ex-Cub as well as getting the loss. None of them looked pissed about it, except maybe JM. Gordon was laughing, they were all laughing. They know that they have to earn our cheers. Koch blows a save, he gets booed before the game. He gets it 1-2-3 with 3 Ks, he gets cheered. I think that is fair.

Viva Magglio
04-04-2003, 11:26 PM
The boo bird fans did a 180 on Koch during the 9th inning, when he struck out the side.

And, for the record, I only booed the Tigers when they were about to be introduced. I did not boo any player, coach, or our governor.

DrCrawdad
04-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Right, I guess that shows the fans are forgiving and you'll be praised when you perform. But when you're sucking, be prepared to get booed.

New York fans would boo guys who performed like Koch did yesterday. Hey it's a tough crowd but these guys get paid huge sums of money to perform. Do it!

HawkDJ
04-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
It's been a whole 3 games dude! I can see if July rolls around and we're not performing, but damn.

It doesn't matter how many games its been. We played TERRIBLE baseball in Kansas City. There is no denying that. I don't know if that warrants a boo or not but this is Chicago, we boo if we aren't happy.

If this were Philadelphia EVERYONE would be booed. Be thankful for that.

Viva Magglio
04-04-2003, 11:31 PM

This is true. One time, Eagles fans even booed Santa Claus.

gosox41
04-05-2003, 12:20 AM

Booed:
Manuel
Gordon
Kimm
Koch
Blagojevich

Cheered:
Valentin
Ordoņez
Thomas

I was proud to boo Jerry Manuel. I also got on Graff a little for bunting on 2 strikes.

If the Sox aren't a few games above .500 at the end of April, I may start the 'Anti-Jerry Manuel Club' or as I like to call it, the 'Wally Backman Fan Club'.

Bob

StepsInSC
04-05-2003, 12:53 AM
I noticed on yahoo's recap that, I think it was the govenor, or someone like that was booed too upon throwing out the first pitch. I couldn't help but lmao. Anyways forgive my stupidity regarding 'nois politics but was there a reason behind it or just for ****s and giggles?

TornLabrum
04-05-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
I noticed on yahoo's recap that, I think it was the govenor, or someone like that was booed too upon throwing out the first pitch. I couldn't help but lmao. Anyways forgive my stupidity regarding 'nois politics but was there a reason behind it or just for ****s and giggles?

I can only think of two reasons:

1) He grew up on the north side and is a lifelong Cubs fan.

2) The fans thought he was George Ryan.

WinningUgly!
04-05-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC

IL Governor - Rod Blagojevich, was most likely booed because of him being a sCrUB fan, more than anything else. He's only been in office for 3 months & is following the worst governor in Illinois history.

WinningUgly!
04-05-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

2) The fans thought he was George Ryan.

LMAO!!! :)

TheBigHurt
04-05-2003, 01:10 AM

Booed:
Manuel
Gordon
Kimm
Koch
Blagojevich

Cheered:
Valentin
Ordoņez
Thomas

THAT'S very sad too say the least, i mean come on its 3 games. IF you want your team to get out of this slump you dont give up after 3 games(terrible games i may add).....WAY to welcome our new Sox Koch and Co. by booing them....DAM fellow Sox fans have a short leash like i said

VeeckAsInWreck
04-05-2003, 02:32 AM
I was surprised to see so many players get booed. There were a lot of hostile people at the park. Then again, the weather could be a contributor for people's hostility towards the team.

I was sitting in sec. 526, and I was surrounded by the most ignorant people. I was embarrased for us all. During the national anthem, some guys at the top were arguing about some personal crap, then during the game I saw many people purposely throwing their garbage to the lower deck. It wasn't accidental, trust me. Unfortunately, all of those examples were of people who were totally drunk.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for people going out to have a good time, but drunkeness and stupidity don't mix.
Sorry to rant guys and gals, but that was just my experience of opening day 2003.

Fortunately we got a "W". Let's get #2 on Saturday!

kevingrt
04-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Roger Basuert(sp) the field guy was cheered pretty heavily as deservably so!

MRKARNO
04-05-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
THAT'S very sad too say the least, i mean come on its 3 games. IF you want your team to get out of this slump you dont give up after 3 games(terrible games i may add).....WAY to welcome our new Sox Koch and Co. by booing them....DAM fellow Sox fans have a short leash like i said

They knew that they deserved ang they got what they deserved. I can assure that there wont be much booing today, except maybe for Konerko. 1 out of 15 is ridiculous

Paulwny
04-05-2003, 12:05 PM

The old joke, "The even boo at funerals".

TheBigHurt
04-05-2003, 12:21 PM
I can assure that there wont be much booing today, except maybe for Konerko. 1 out of 15 is ridiculous

AND Whitey????????

Lip Man 1
04-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Zero World Championships since 1917

Zero World Series appearances since 1959

Zero home playoff wins since Oct. 1, 1959 (9 straight losses)

Sox fans have a lllloooonnnngggg memory.

I think that's part of the reason for the booing. Every year that goes by with the organization not winning is adding to the problem, the frustration, the anger.

Is it fair to the current players, of course not, but that's the price they pay for the failure of the organization over the decades.

Perhaps someone will get a chance to explain that rational to them sometime so they'll understand. overall I don't think it's personal (except when it's directed at Jerry Reinsdorf)

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
04-05-2003, 02:18 PM
I doubt anybody would have gotten booed (even Gov. Blagojevich) if the Sox had managed to win even one game against the still undefeated Kansas City Royals. :cool:

harwar
04-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I doubt anybody would have gotten booed (even Gov. Blagojevich) if the Sox had managed to win even one game against the still undefeated Kansas City Royals. :cool:

Everyone was so wasted by the time the game got underway.There were people ready to boo anyone for any reason.Then the American Flag came out of center field and it was all "USA..USA..USA.." I'm an old veteran and more patriotic than some,less than others but it was pretty funny.

T Dog
04-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Booing Koch (I didn't) certainly didn't hurt. I think Sox fans appreciated the way he responded.

In the 1970s, one of our red-pinstriped pitchers was pitching a gutsy game with the crowd behind him when Chuck Tanner came to the mound with the hook. The pitcher got a standing ovation on his way to the dugout. The manager was loudly booed moments later. Tanner tipped his hat to the crowd at the dugout steps and turned many of the boos into cheers. I figured most of the boo-birds respected Tanner for having the guts to stand up for a decision he thought was best for the team.

I think booing was part of the Old Comiskey experience, though. I once saw a Frisbee-catching dog get booed for missing his Frisbee.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
...I think booing was part of the Old Comiskey experience, though. I once saw a Frisbee-catching dog get booed for missing his Frisbee.

Look, I was there and the dog deserved to be booed. I could see he was short-legging it from halfway across the diamond. He was doing it simply to keep his fielding percentage looking good!

:)

Lip Man 1
04-06-2003, 02:20 PM
I didn't know Royce Clayton had four legs?

Lip

MRKARNO
04-06-2003, 06:46 PM
I dont think any Sox player has been booed for a while now that we're winning