PDA

View Full Version : New PA Announcer

dllrbll7
04-04-2003, 08:40 PM
What do you guys think of the new PA announcer at the Cell? I personally enjoyed the last guy. When he came on today for the first time i was shocked to hear a different voice. Besides that i love all the other changes to the park. I love the center field patio, the view is awesome, the new scoreboards and LED boards look really nice too.

Daver
04-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
What do you guys think of the new PA announcer at the Cell? I personally enjoyed the last guy. When he came on today for the first time i was shocked to hear a different voice. Besides that i love all the other changes to the park. I love the center field patio, the view is awesome, the new scoreboards and LED boards look really nice too.

The announcer was Tom Schaer,he is a fill in.

WinningUgly!
04-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by daver
The announcer was Tom Schaer,he is a fill in.

Gene Honda is away doing the PA work for the Final 4.

kevingrt
04-04-2003, 09:24 PM
Tom Schaer seems more casual doing it, but I don't know if that is necessarily good.

Good thing to see Honda at the Final Four I like him doing the Hawks, Blue Demons, and Sox. Great PA guy! He's a great guy too

MRKARNO
04-04-2003, 09:52 PM
I thought I remembered hearing our announcer at a NCAA game. Well, I guess I was right then. This guy wasnt bad

A.T. Money
04-04-2003, 10:28 PM
When I saw Gene Honda on TV, I had no idea he was Japanese. Of course, I didn't know his name until this thread.

cheeses_h_rice
04-04-2003, 11:06 PM
My brother had to be convinced that it was Tom Shaer, while I was pretty certain off the bat that he was doing the announcements. I'm relieved to hear that Gene Honda will be back soon -- his voice IS the Voice of Comiskey (yeahyeah, US Cellular).

Viva Magglio
04-04-2003, 11:08 PM
I thought Shaer was dull. His zeal for announcing Sox players' names as they came to bat was not much greater than his announcing Detroit players' names. Did you catch the faux pax he made during the 7th inning stretch, when "God Bless America" was about to be sung and Tom is beginning to announce the winning 50-50 Split raffle number?

If I were the White Sox, I would have had Pat Schultz fill in for Honda. Who is Pat Schultz? He is the PA annoucer for Loyola basketball games at the Gentile Center. Pat is a very good announcer, and he has Honda-like enthusiasm when announcing the home team's players' names.

mike squires
04-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Listening to the fill in made me feel like I was at a minor league game or something. I'm glad Honda will be back...

soxnut
04-05-2003, 12:29 AM
Well, I must be in the minority because I don't like Gene Honda. I don't like the way he announces the Sox when they come to bat.
"Fraaaaaaaaaannnnnnk Thomas. Sounds corny.

All the other stuff he does well. The pa guy for the A's is the best. The guy for the Brewers is good too as well as the Yankees pa guy.

TheBigHurt
04-05-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Gene Honda is away doing the PA work for the Final 4.

OHH you always Know when i am going to ask a ques, WU..............

TheBigHurt
04-05-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Well, I must be in the minority because I don't like Gene Honda. I don't like the way he announces the Sox when they come to bat.
"Fraaaaaaaaaannnnnnk Thomas. Sounds corny.

All the other stuff he does well. The pa guy for the A's is the best. The guy for the Brewers is good too as well as the Yankees pa guy.

YUP, your right unfortanley the Yankmees have maybe the best PA annoucer from personnel experience..... WHEN your in Yankmee stad. everytime he (forgot his name) speaks the stad. is in awe........

Hangar18
04-05-2003, 09:20 AM
MAN...when i was inside the Cell, and heard this other voice, I was Very Disappointed. GENE HONDA is one of THE BEST IN OPINION. His VOICE is South Side Baseball, its very professional, and very very DISTINCTIVE. There are not many other voices like his around. Plus, hes a really nice guy. Man Im glad to hear hes just temporarily away.

WinningUgly!
04-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
MAN...when i was inside the Cell, and heard this other voice, I was Very Disappointed. GENE HONDA is one of THE BEST IN OPINION. His VOICE is South Side Baseball, its very professional, and very very DISTINCTIVE. There are not many other voices like his around. Plus, hes a really nice guy. Man Im glad to hear hes just temporarily away.

What does Tom Shaer even do these days? (besides subbing for Gene Honda) I can't remember the last time I saw him on TV or heard his cheezy "Hawaiin" on the radio....both good things.

Daver
04-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
What does Tom Shaer even do these days? (besides subbing for Gene Honda) I can't remember the last time I saw him on TV or heard his cheezy "Hawaiin" on the radio....both good things.

He is the morning update guy for AM 1000.

whitesoxwilkes
04-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by soxnut

Ever been to a game at the HumpDome and heard the guy there? The first time I heard him say Christian GOOOOOOZman I almost peed my pants.

WinningUgly!
04-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by daver
He is the morning update guy for AM 1000.

Thanks, I did not know that.
Now that I do, I'll have to start tuning in.

34 Inch Stick
04-05-2003, 11:46 AM
I just let out a big sigh of relief when I heard that Shaer is only temporary. I hate him as much as any non athelete sports personality in this city. I wish that no talent putz would just disappear from the scene.

Tom Hair sucked on TV. He sucked on the radio. He sucked as a PA announcer.

Daver
04-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I just let out a big sigh of relief when I heard that Shaer is only temporary. I hate him as much as any non athelete sports personality in this city. I wish that no talent putz would just disappear from the scene.

Don't hold back,tell us how really feel about Tom........

:)

Paulwny
04-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
YUP, your right unfortanley the Yankmees have maybe the best PA annoucer from personnel experience..... WHEN your in Yankmee stad. everytime he (forgot his name) speaks the stad. is in awe........

Gene Shepard, he's been the yankmee pa announcer for over 50 yrs.

WinningUgly!
04-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

It's funny, because it's true. I used to listen to Shaer back in the WSCR-820 days on my drive to work. It wasn't because I liked him...it was the only way to get sportstalk/news at the time. There are probably still big piles of vomit that I left up & down 55.

Stoky44
04-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I thought Shaer was dull. His zeal for announcing Sox players' names as they came to bat was not much greater than his announcing Detroit players' names. Did you catch the faux pax he made during the 7th inning stretch, when "God Bless America" was about to be sung and Tom is beginning to announce the winning 50-50 Split raffle number?

If I were the White Sox, I would have had Pat Schultz fill in for Honda. Who is Pat Schultz? He is the PA annoucer for Loyola basketball games at the Gentile Center. Pat is a very good announcer, and he has Honda-like enthusiasm when announcing the home team's players' names.

How about RANDY COE form MARIST HIGH SCHOOL, he's pretty good! How about that ˇViva Mágglio!

A.T. Money
04-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda is the best. He has a strong, deep, dark voice. It's intimidating to opposing teams. Everyone always tells me they think he sounds awesome.

I hate to say this but the Cubs PA guy isn't too bad either.

The A's PA guy is dark and roars like Honda, just like the Lakers' announcer.

The three worst in my mind are the Twins, Orioles, and Red Sox. Yuck!

TheBigHurt
04-05-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

The three worst in my mind are the Twins, Orioles, and Red Sox. Yuck!

THE Red Sox i that girls voice scares me

BE GOOD

Viva Magglio
04-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
How about RANDY COE form MARIST HIGH SCHOOL, he's pretty good! How about that ˇViva Mágglio!

Mr. Coe as Sox PA annoucner? I go to Marist football games, and he is pretty funny.

Viva Magglio
04-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Gene Shepard, he's been the yankmee pa announcer for over 50 yrs.

Wrong. Jean Shepard was the humorist and longtime White Sox fan who narrated The Christmas Story movie and a White Sox history video. You are thinking of Bob Sheppard, who has done PA for the Yankees and the New York football Giants for at least 50 years:

"Now batting...for the Yankees...number twenty...the catcher...Jorge...Posada...number twenty."

Also, the Twins PA man is the legendary Bob Casey:

"KIRBYYYYYYYYYY PUCKETT!!!"
"CHUUUUUUUUUCK KNOBLAUCH!!!!!!!!"

And the A's PA man is Roy Steele:

"Now batting, Jo-SAY can-SAY-co!"

Those are the most distinctive PA voices in MLB, I believe.

Finally, how many of you remember Gene Honda's predecessor, Bob Finnegan?

soxnut
04-05-2003, 07:44 PM
If Bob Finnegan was the guy from the eighties, then yeah I do. and I liked him. :smile:

Paulwny
04-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Wrong. Jean Shepard was the humorist and longtime White Sox fan who narrated The Christmas Story movie and a White Sox history video. You are thinking of Bob Sheppard, who has done PA for the Yankees and the New York football Giants for at least 50 years:

Good catch, thanks.

HawkDJ
04-05-2003, 09:11 PM
While watching the final four introductions I was just waiting for Honda to say "And now here's your 2003 Chicago White Sox!!"

kevingrt
04-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
While watching the final four introductions I was just waiting for Honda to say "And now here's your 2003 Chicago White Sox!!"

Like Frank Thomas, I mean James Thomas for two!

maurice
04-07-2003, 12:08 PM
I was looking forward to the first "THIRTY-five . . . Frank THOMAS" of the new season. When I didn't get it, I listened a bit closer and thought, "this guy sounds just like Tom Shaer." Glad to see I haven't lost my mind (at least not entirely . . . yet).

Juan Pizarro
04-07-2003, 01:05 PM
I thought I was hallucinating when watching the Final Four. "That guy sounds like our PA announcer!" Glad to know my ears weren't deceiving me and that Honda is still the man.

"Ever been to a game at the HumpDome and heard the guy there?"

Oh, yeah. "No smoking in the Metrodome. NO SMOKING!"

MarqSox
04-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Good thing to see Honda at the Final Four I like him doing the Hawks, Blue Demons, and Sox. Great PA guy! He's a great guy too

I'm a Gene Honda fan when he's doing Sox games, but he is the most annoying basketball PA guy I've ever heard. It's real hard to take him seriously at DePaul games ...

"Quentin Richardson goes to the line to complete ... the THREE, POINT, PLAY."

"There is a timeout on the floor. THIS IS A FULL, TIMEOUT!"

You can't get a feeling for how ridiculous this all sounds without actually hearing it.

Foulke You
04-07-2003, 02:37 PM
THE Red Sox i that girls voice scares me

BE GOOD

I think the girl is a temporary fill in. The full time Fenway PA guy is a droning monotone old man:

"May I have your attention please, now pitching for the White Sox (Sawx), number 44 Billy Koch, Koch now pitching."

It's bad, but in a way it seems to fit well with old Fenway since the guy sounds as old as the park. The girl is brutal though.

Count me in with the group that is patiently waiting for Gene Honda's return. The other guy was boring. It seemed like there was something missing without Honda.

ihatethecubs
04-07-2003, 06:20 PM
i saw gene at a gas station a month ago, i recognized him from channel 11 and when i heard him speak i was certain it was him. good thing that he will be back, at least he was replaced by a female PA announcer like they have in frisco. forgive me if i sound sexist but there should be no women doing the PA or play by play. its just stupid.

jortafan
04-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
i saw gene at a gas station a month ago, i recognized him from channel 11 and when i heard him speak i was certain it was him. good thing that he will be back, at least he was replaced by a female PA announcer like they have in frisco. forgive me if i sound sexist but there should be no women doing the PA or play by play. its just stupid.

I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree.

I can't help but think that any woman would be better at calling a game than Chip Caray.

Lanny Sigo
04-07-2003, 07:55 PM
I'm elated to hear Gene Honda is on a short hiatus from his job as Sox PA announcer. I can't wait till he get's back and I hear his voice over modulating through the sound system for another season. I can't hear anything my guests that I've taken to the game say to me! It rivals only a Hank Williams Jr. concert!

TheBigHurt
04-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Like Frank Thomas, I mean James Thomas for two!

I fig. a New Orleans guy would do it like the PA for the Saints

BE GOOD

Viva Magglio
04-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I think the girl is a temporary fill in. The full time Fenway PA guy is a droning monotone old man:

The man of which you speak was Sherm Feller. Sherm passed away a few years back and was replaced by the woman.

TheBigHurt
04-08-2003, 10:52 AM
The man of which you speak was Sherm Feller. Sherm passed away a few years back and was replaced by the woman.

IS she the new one or they looking for someone new. HEY ill do it i always wanted to be a PA announcer.

BE GOOD

Unregistered
04-08-2003, 11:25 AM
IS she the new one or they looking for someone new. HEY ill do it i always wanted to be a PA announcer.

BE GOOD If you talk anything like you type, I'd imagine a lot of run-on sentences and YELLING of random words...

TheBigHurt
04-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
If you talk anything like you type, I'd imagine a lot of run-on sentences and YELLING of random words...

LOL, yes I've been told i am random at times. AND if you talk run-on sentences when you talk run-on sentences are as impossible as Choice's bat braking.

BE GOOD